Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Ok, just to be clear....Once I've removed everything from the MOBO (even the CPU) I pop the battery out and hit the reset button on the back on the I/O panel for 3 seconds and then press it again for 3 seconds? After that I sit the CPU and 1 stick of ram w/ mouse & keyboard to boot bios. Once i'm in Bios are there any other steps I should take? If I don't get a display from that but am able to after I hit MemOK does that mean something else?

Once I got into Bios I was going to turn off the computer to install another stick of ram until I had all 32g
    then
    I was going to install the GPU
    then
    my drive to lauch Windows 10 and a drive for storage
    and after that my computer would technically be "back to normal" with all my hardware installed, but will this reset you mentioned remedy my cold boot issue?

When would it be okay to enable XMP for my RAM? It seems the timing for this Trident Gskils is 2133 out the box but can be set to 3200 w/ XMP enabled. I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I would like to run this ram at 3200 but don't want to use XMP if it's going to inhibit me from booting my computer up in the morning.

Thanks again for your patience and help
    Last edited by carvinman; 11-02-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: more to add

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

After the steps outlined by Hiviz, I would simply use the system for a short period and make sure everything works as intended. Do not enable any form of OC, including XMP.

Then insert the rest of the modules one at a time and check the system still POST and boots correctly.

ROG Member Array

roger that thank you.

I'll post in the AM with an update

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Yep you had the right idea.

The reason for the cautious and slow approach is to try and identify any single variable that we introduce to the system as a possible cause.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Yep you had the right idea.

The reason for the cautious and slow approach is to try and identify any single variable that we introduce to the system as a possible cause.
    So I just got my GPU installed and it booted right up. I'm not sure if it's important but when I booted up for the first time w/ only the keyboard, mouse and 1 stick of ram it didn't work until I hit the Mem OK button, but once in the Bios I proceeded as if everything was fine. I hit F1 to enter set up then hit F10 to save and exit. Once I was in Windows for a minute I shut down and proceeded as advised. After each addition stick of ram I installed there wasn't a splash screen when i booted up, where I'd normally hit F2 to enter Bios, but went straight to the Windows loading wheel and logo after a long black screen. Once i was at the login screen I'd shutdown and proceed with installing more hardware until my GPU, the last piece was in. Now am I supposed to wait until I want to turn it on in the morning like usual or are there other steps while I'm in this "good" state that I should take?

Ram Installed: DDR4-3200 F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    is this supposed to be running at 2133 mhz? thats what it says in BIOS
    Last edited by carvinman; 11-03-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: additional information

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)- NA -
    MotherboardEVGA X299 Dark
    Processori9-7960X @ 5.2GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-4000 @ 4200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti xC2 Ultra Gaming
    MonitorPredator XB271HU 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1512GB 960 Pro x 2 (OS Boot Drives)
    Storage #2960GB Samung Enterprise NVMe SSD x 2 | 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerDual 360MM XPSC Rads+1/2 HP Water Chiller
    CasePraxis WetBench
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Wireless
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher Wireless S6CRW
    Mouse Pad Black Anodized Aluminum
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System
    OS W10 Ent LTSB 2016 / W7 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Accessory #1 Hailea HC-500A 1/2HP~790Watt Water Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by carvinman View Post
    Ram Installed: DDR4-3200 F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    is this supposed to be running at 2133 mhz? thats what it says in BIOS
    What you are seeing is expected behavior with default BIOS settings. It will run at 2133 unless you set the BIOS to XMP or manually change it to 3200. The 2133 speed is the SPD default, not 3200.

As you can see, for example, the default for my Corsair DDR4-4000 RAM is also 2133 (1066 x 2) and XMP is 4000 (2000 x 2). If I just boot with BIOS defaults it will be running 2133 just like yours.

If you already had it set to XMP and pressed the MEM OK button, that will use BIOS defaults for memory to let you get into the BIOS to make changes if the memory settings applied are not working. It will not erase all of the custom settings, just temporarily disable any memory changes until you press F10 to save and exit the BIOS. So, seeing 2133 in the BIOS after pressing the MEM OK button is also normal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	76771
    Last edited by Mr. Fox; 11-03-2018 at 05:55 AM.
    Punisher | EVGA X299 Dark | i9-7960X @ 5.2GHz | 32GB Corsair LPX 4000 @ 4200 | EVGA 2080 TI xC2 HydroCopper Block
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W P2 | 2x 512GB 960 Pro / 2x 1TB Enterprise NVMe / 2TB HDD / 4TB HDD | W10 / W7 (Dual Boot)
    2x XSPC RX360 | Praxis WetBench | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Results:
    http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Right that is good news.

When you next boot up, start hitting the del key from power up this will get you into the bios. There are other ways of getting into the bios but this is quick and pretty painless.

Now you can change stuff in the bios. First thing is (if you want that splash screen) to enable that feature. Many folks don't like it as they want the fastest boot into OS from power up possible. Me I never power my system down. Sleep is all I use. Once a month I do a power down and reboot.

Will check back later.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fox View Post
    What you are seeing is expected behavior with default BIOS settings. It will run at 2133 unless you set the BIOS to XMP or manually change it to 3200. The 2133 speed is the SPD default, not 3200.

As you can see, for example, the default for my Corsair DDR4-4000 RAM is also 2133 (1066 x 2) and XMP is 4000 (2000 x 2). If I just boot with BIOS defaults it will be running 2133 just like yours.

If you already had it set to XMP and pressed the MEM OK button, that will use BIOS defaults for memory to let you get into the BIOS to make changes if the memory settings applied are not working. It will not erase all of the custom settings, just temporarily disable any memory changes until you press F10 to save and exit the BIOS. So, seeing 2133 in the BIOS after pressing the MEM OK button is also normal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	76771
    Beautiful! Thank you so much for that clarification. I'm not sure where my problem lies but I feel that I'm getting closer because it seems that on a cold boot, with bios default settings from last night, I was still getting my BlackSOD with a Qcode of A0. I removed the GPU and tried again but with the same results. I turned it off and tried again but was pressing delete hoping to wake something up, but nothing. The Qcode at that point was A9 so i hit MemOK, there was a rufle dufle about 5 seconds had lasted and then poof i got the splash screen.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Right that is good news.

When you next boot up, start hitting the del key from power up this will get you into the bios. There are other ways of getting into the bios but this is quick and pretty painless.

Now you can change stuff in the bios. First thing is (if you want that splash screen) to enable that feature. Many folks don't like it as they want the fastest boot into OS from power up possible. Me I never power my system down. Sleep is all I use. Once a month I do a power down and reboot.

Will check back later.
    Yal are wonderful!
    So I tried booting up this morning (default settings from last night) but I still got the BlackSOD and proceeded with removing the GPU and booting up...BlackSOD, retried w/ hitting delete and no GPU...Blacksod w/ A9 qcode....at that point I hit MEM OK and i was finally able to see the Splash screen again. I hit F2 then hit F1 to go into setup. I'm not sure what the deal is with the MemOk button but it seems to be the trick right now to get anything to show up on my screen. So i shut down and put my gpu back in and no problem booting up again and now i'm in Windows with a code A0. Would this be a Bios Setting? but if at default what then?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)- NA -
    MotherboardEVGA X299 Dark
    Processori9-7960X @ 5.2GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-4000 @ 4200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti xC2 Ultra Gaming
    MonitorPredator XB271HU 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1512GB 960 Pro x 2 (OS Boot Drives)
    Storage #2960GB Samung Enterprise NVMe SSD x 2 | 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerDual 360MM XPSC Rads+1/2 HP Water Chiller
    CasePraxis WetBench
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Wireless
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher Wireless S6CRW
    Mouse Pad Black Anodized Aluminum
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System
    OS W10 Ent LTSB 2016 / W7 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Accessory #1 Hailea HC-500A 1/2HP~790Watt Water Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by carvinman View Post
    Beautiful! Thank you so much for that clarification. I'm not sure where my problem lies but I feel that I'm getting closer because it seems that on a cold boot, with bios default settings from last night, I was still getting my BlackSOD with a Qcode of A0. I removed the GPU and tried again but with the same results. I turned it off and tried again but was pressing delete hoping to wake something up, but nothing. The Qcode at that point was A9 so i hit MemOK, there was a rufle dufle about 5 seconds had lasted and then poof i got the splash screen.
    If you set BIOS default values then save and exit the BIOS does it boot normally, or only boots when using the MEM OK button?
    Punisher | EVGA X299 Dark | i9-7960X @ 5.2GHz | 32GB Corsair LPX 4000 @ 4200 | EVGA 2080 TI xC2 HydroCopper Block
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W P2 | 2x 512GB 960 Pro / 2x 1TB Enterprise NVMe / 2TB HDD / 4TB HDD | W10 / W7 (Dual Boot)
    2x XSPC RX360 | Praxis WetBench | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Results:
    http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast