Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fox View Post
    If you set BIOS default values then save and exit the BIOS does it boot normally, or only boots when using the MEM OK button?
    It sure does boot normally. It's only when I do a cold boot (not sure how long it takes to classify as a cold boot). After I put everything back together I had to hit Mem oK to get a splash screen...got into window w/ default bios setting then shut down. I installed 1 stick of ram at a time and booted up just fine till all for slots were full...then the gpu and it worked like a charm. I am considering turning up the ram but not sure if it will matter anyway because I'll most likely have to hit the MEM OK button tomorrow morning when i boot this back up (I have in the past tried sleeping the computer over night and it still does the same thing when i try to wake it back up in the AM but with a qcode 40).

I'm currently sitting in Windows with Bios default setting and all hardware installed
    Last edited by carvinman; 11-03-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: clarification

ROG Member Array

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bios Default Voltages.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	76777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bios Information.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	76778

ROG Member Array

Back again with the same issue this morning. I'm sorry if I'm not providing the right information for everyone but this morning's boot dilemma:
    1st cold boot brought up BlackSOD with qcode 40 and DP cable coming out of my Gigabyte 1070
    i hit reset on the front of the case and got a BlackSOD with qcode A0
    I hit reset again and hit delete to bring up Bios (w/ the BlackSOD) then the A9 showed up
    I hit MemOk and still got no display but with the cqode A2
    I then removed my GPU and tried to boot up
    Everything booted up
    I put my GPU back in and it booted up like a charm without having to reset the CMOS (which is a first and a step in the right direction).

So....I think there's something wrong with the MOBO fully recognizing the GPU on a cold boot. Is there a setting I can check to ensure everything is set the way it should?
    Last edited by carvinman; 11-04-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: clarification

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello mate - let me recap and see if I have understood you correctly.

You have untold issues with the VGU installed in your system. With it out using the on board graphics you boot no problem?

Right two things to try, well possibly three.

1. Swap out your PCIe lanes that you are using for the VGA. So if you are in slot number 1 use one of the other slots.
    2. Swap out your VGA with a know working VGA and see if that is the issue.
    3. Check the PSU cables to the VGA often those little metal connectors come loose in the six or eight pin plugs. Check (this is the possible thing to try)
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Do you have another monitor you can try with? The QCODEs you're seeing are simply resume from sleep states and normal operation. Try what Hiviz has suggested above and see if you can replicate the problem on another panel, even if it's a TV.

Another thought came to me. Cables too mate. Check the cables.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Hello mate - let me recap and see if I have understood you correctly.

You have untold issues with the VGU installed in your system. With it out using the on board graphics you boot no problem?

Right two things to try, well possibly three.

1. Swap out your PCIe lanes that you are using for the VGA. So if you are in slot number 1 use one of the other slots.
    2. Swap out your VGA with a know working VGA and see if that is the issue.
    3. Check the PSU cables to the VGA often those little metal connectors come loose in the six or eight pin plugs. Check (this is the possible thing to try)
    Well it seems to be narrowed down to that, but after that first successful boot i'm able to reinstall my gpu and everything works to my knowledge. I'm trying to reinstall my graphics driver and VGA driver from the NVIDIA and Gigabyte website. To be honest I'm a little confused by instructions:

1. Does swapping PCIe lanes mean taking the GPU and trying the PCIe slot below it on the MOBO? (my GPU actually won't fit without some work on the HDD mounting system)? sorry if that's really obvious haha
    2. Is this the same thing as a GPU? VGA = GPU
    3. I will check this and replace the cable if I see any signs of corrosion etc.

thank you for the help.

I've tried using an HDMI with a different monitor from the same GPU but didn't get any different results

Nothing different this morning. If swapping GPUs is the next step I'll have to give it a go when I get home. I have a very small gpu in another computer I can try
    Last edited by carvinman; 11-05-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: vga clarification

ROG Member Array

Thanks again for the replies

So if this smaller GPU works on the first try in either PCIe slot I use does that mean there is a hardware malfunction with my 1070?
    and
    If it doesn't work in one or the other, or both, does that mean its a problem with the MOBO?

Hello there

VGA = GPU

Yes swapping PCie lanes does mean physically putting your video card into different slots and seeing if it is a slot issue or a card issue.

Once you swap video cards let me know what you discover please.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    Do you have another monitor you can try with? The QCODEs you're seeing are simply resume from sleep states and normal operation. Try what Hiviz has suggested above and see if you can replicate the problem on another panel, even if it's a TV.

If using a display port connection (especially with an aftermarket cable), switching to HDMI should help narrow things down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast