cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus HERO X + BALLISTIX ELITE 16GB (2x8GB) 3466 MHZ = unstable system

greg_m
Level 10
Hi guys!

I have problem with overclocking my 8700k while using xmp. If I overclock only cpu without using xmp profile it works fine @ 5ghz with 1.32v and the system seems stable as it can run 2 hours custom prime95 and 1 hour realbench stress test with using 8 GB memory.

When I enable xmp profile my system is not stable. I have tried @ 5ghz with higher cpu voltage, up to 1.38 but I had no success, tried even @ 4.8ghz with these voltages but nothing. Even tried bumping up memory voltage a bit up to 1.37 and even system agent and vccio but nothing. I get either stop error while testing or bsod. Bsod code I always get is memory managment and that’s why im thinking that the problem is either the memory or the memory controller.

Another thing to mention is that with only xmp profile enabled – and by that I mean without overclocking cpu or touching other settings at all – I get from time to time bsods with the same stop code i.e. memory management!

Keep in mind that I keep bios and drivers up to date.

The memory I use is this CRUCIAL BALLISTIX ELITE 16GB 8GBX2 DDR4 3466 MHZ http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/rog-maximus-x-hero/CT10999105 which according to Crucial is compatible with Maximus HERO X.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend,

two things immediately came to mind.
A) Your ram is faulty.
B) your CPU has a really crap IMC. It clocks like a beast no doubt about it - it just may be that your memory does not play nice with that CPU.

So clearly we are on the same page with our thinking here.

Can you borrow another set of ram to test if your IMC is the issue?

I wonder what the SPD loolks like, have you used Thaiphoon Burner to explore the SPD of the memory yet?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello my friend,

two things immediately came to mind.
A) Your ram is faulty.
B) your CPU has a really crap IMC. It clocks like a beast no doubt about it - it just may be that your memory does not play nice with that CPU.

So clearly we are on the same page with our thinking here.

Can you borrow another set of ram to test if your IMC is the issue?

I wonder what the SPD loolks like, have you used Thaiphoon Burner to explore the SPD of the memory yet?

Hi HiVizMan,

Here is a screenshot with memory's spd values: 76733

Which is the best program to test my ram, memtest, windows memory diagnostic tool or something else? And should i check the memory while using xmp profile or with default settings?
Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am very methodical in how I test memory.

The first thing I do is test each individual motherboard memory slot with one stick of ram, then once I am 100% that all the memory slots are perfect at that set frequency for the ram, and only then do I swap out each of the sticks and repeat the process.

In the past I have found that a stick will work perfects in say B2 but not work perfectly in A1 for example. This process is all about removing variables from the problem solving equation.

I like to run at least two cycles of Memtest for each step of the process.

Once that is done and no problems found then I begin to train each stick of ram individually first then as a set. Lets stop there and I will check back what your outcomes were from the testing.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I am very methodical in how I test memory.

The first thing I do is test each individual motherboard memory slot with one stick of ram, then once I am 100% that all the memory slots are perfect at that set frequency for the ram, and only then do I swap out each of the sticks and repeat the process.

In the past I have found that a stick will work perfects in say B2 but not work perfectly in A1 for example. This process is all about removing variables from the problem solving equation.

I like to run at least two cycles of Memtest for each step of the process.

Once that is done and no problems found then I begin to train each stick of ram individually first then as a set. Lets stop there and I will check back what your outcomes were from the testing.

Errors errors errors!
Look what memtest found during the night:

I run the test last night and while on XMP settings but everything else were on default. Do you think i could rma my ram with that findings or should i test with everything on default (i mean without loading xmp profile) first and do the process you are doing?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do follow the process I laid out. I know it seems a bit long but what it does is eliminate variables. And that is very valuable

Clearly something is wrong - we both know that the XMP profile is not working on your system. What we don't know is if the IMC or the memory is the issue. We could fart around in the bios and eventually get it to work, but why should you have to mess around finding a way if the memory is faulty???

HiVizMan wrote:
Please do follow the process I laid out. I know it seems a bit long but what it does is eliminate variables. And that is very valuable

Clearly something is wrong - we both know that the XMP profile is not working on your system. What we don't know is if the IMC or the memory is the issue. We could fart around in the bios and eventually get it to work, but why should you have to mess around finding a way if the memory is faulty???

Well, after i followed the process you also do it turned out that one stick of my rams cant run with the xmp profile settings. It gave me errors while separately installed in every each of the four slots. The other stick passed successfully while running on xmp profile settings.

I also tried with all settings on default, all the slots and both ram-sticks and they gave no errors.

These findings make life easier because the easiest think someone can do is to change memory!
I assume that this is a valid reason to obtain RMA...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Totally correct. So you now understand why the method I use is effective.

Slow for some who want instant results but very effective.

RMA time for you my friend. Lets hope the next set of ram do not give you any problems.

HiVizMan wrote:
Totally correct. So you now understand why the method I use is effective.

Slow for some who want instant results but very effective.

RMA time for you my friend. Lets hope the next set of ram do not give you any problems.

Thanx for the help mate!
Now i run some G.Skills 3200mhz cl14 and cpu @ 5ghz with 1.33v without a hitch!
Just have to do a clean Windows 10 install because my system is a bit corrupted after the crashes and bsods...
Cheers 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah messed up memory has the habit of messing up an OS each and every time. I have to redo my OS on my test bench at least twice a week. And for that reason I keep a clean disk image on my USB device to simply clone a new OS that has all my stuff on it ready and waiting.