Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Using multiple M.2 SSDs on a Maximus XI motherboard

Hi Everyone!

Please, be so kind to help me out in the following issues, since I'm not an expert in these matters.

I'm planning to build a new rig around a Maximus XI motherboard. I would like to use four M.2 NVME SSDs: 2x970 EVO 2TB and 2x970 EVO 1 TB. I don't want to use any other type of storage (f.e. SATA III SSD), only the four M.2 SSDs mentioned above. My questions are the following:

1. Assuming I would use Maximus XI Extreme, I could insert two SSDs into the onboard M.2 slots, and the other two into the provided adapter using the DIMM.2 slot. In this case, will I be able to run all my four M.2 SSDs at their maximum write and read speeds, or will there be any bottlenecking factors?

2. Maximus XI Formula doesn't have a DIMM.2 slot, so in this case I can only use the two onboard M.2 slots. Is there any option - like a PCI-E M.2 adapter card, or similar - that would make me possible to add the remaining two M.2 SSDs as well in order to use all four M.2 SSDs in my rig? If this is possible, will I still be able to run all four M.2 SSDs at their maximum write and read speeds?

3. If I used two M.2 SSDs in RAID 0, would this significantly increase the read and write speeds in my system?

Thank you so much for your answers in advance!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello PsiE

Give me a couple of hours and I will be able to answer that question re the Extreme board. Have 4 M.2 SSDs that I can test and confirm one way or another. Just need to set up as the board only got here this afternoon.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array Adrculda PC Specs
    Adrculda PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XI Extreme
    Processori7-9700K, i7-8700K, i9-9900K
    Memory (part number)CORSAIR Vengeance RGB DRAM 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI
    Graphics Card #3Thermaltake Pacific V-GTX 1080Ti Plus Transparent (ASUS ROG)
    Graphics Card #4Thermaltake Pacific VGA Bridge Dual Series 2-Slot Transparent
    Sound CardOn Board Audio
    Storage #12x WD Black NVMe SSD, M.2, PCIe x4, 250GB
    Storage #23x 12TB WD Gold HDD SATA III, w/ 256MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNcore V1 Waterblock
    CaseThermaltake Core X9
    OS Windows 10

I always thought there were 3x M.2 total on the Extreme... one just bellow the chipset and 2 on the riser card by the RAM

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

The DIMM 2 Modul supports 2 x M.2 so that does make 4 in total.

Not 100% sure it will work till I give it a go.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Hi, the onboard slots are wired via the PCH, so are bottlenecked by the DMI bus. It is also possible to use all four at the same time.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    The DIMM 2 Modul supports 2 x M.2 so that does make 4 in total.

Not 100% sure it will work till I give it a go.
    Thanks so much, if you give it a try, I appreciate!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    Hi, the onboard slots are wired via the PCH, so are bottlenecked by the DMI bus. It is also possible to use all four at the same time.
    Hi! Thanks for your response! Does this mean, that if I use the onboard M.2 slots, I won't be able to use my M.2 SSDs at their maximum write and read speeds? Is this becouse the DMI 3.0 has a maximum throughput of 3.94 GB/s? 970 EVO 2TB has max read speed of 3500 mb/s, and write speed of 2500 mb/s. But doesn't NVME connect straight to the PCIe bus?

So all in all: is the main purpose of DIMM.2's existence to use M.2 drives through DIMM.2 and gain maximum write and read speeds of SSDs without any bottleneck?
    Last edited by PsiEmitter; 11-01-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsiEmitter View Post
    Hi! Thanks for your response! Does this mean, that if I use the onboard M.2 slots, I won't be able to use my M.2 SSDs at their maximum write and read speeds? Is this becouse the DMI 3.0 has a maximum throughput of 3.94 GB/s? 970 EVO 2TB has max read speed of 3500 mb/s, and write speed of 2500 mb/s. But doesn't NVME connect straight to the PCIe bus?

So all in all: is the main purpose of DIMM.2's existence to use M.2 drives through DIMM.2 and gain maximum write and read speeds of SSDs without any bottleneck?
    You can benchmark the speeds within Crystal Disk, the penalty shouldn’t be that great. DIMM.2 utilises CPU lanes, the others as stated above are via the PCH.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    You can benchmark the speeds within Crystal Disk, the penalty shouldn’t be that great. DIMM.2 utilises CPU lanes, the others as stated above are via the PCH.
    And what about using two 970 EVOs in DIMM.2 slot, and the other two in a PCIE expansion card instead of onboard slots? Would this combination let me use the NVME SSDs full write and read speeds?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I recently discovered that the z390 boards will not run two m.2 cards installed in each available slot in addition to a nvidia gpu.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast