Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

The real world difference with your VGA lane at 8x is very small and not really noticeable in the real world even with a 2081Ti card.

FYI
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by btrach144 View Post
    Yes, you can. This would provide you with nearly 100% performance as well since it's connected directly to the CPU and not the DMI. The downside to this would be your graphics card will run at x8.
    Thanks, but I was inaccurate. I meant, making bootable RAID0 with DIMM.2 using a x299 board and an X series CPU. This way I would have 44 PCI lanes, so I assume, DIMM.2 AND GPU both would have the full speed, wouldn't they?

Apart from that, let me please ask one more question. If I don't use RAID0 on the DIMM.2 card, but I use a 970 PRO and a 970 EVO, and I want to use the 970 PRO for OS and 970 EVO for data storage, will the 970 PRO still be bootable?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    The real world difference with your VGA lane at 8x is very small and not really noticeable in the real world even with a 2081Ti card.

FYI
    Can I ask your opinion: what do you think the difference in gaming performance would be between a stock 9900K and a bit overclocked 9900X system? 44 PCIe lanes seem to be quite appealing for me, so I started to think about perhaps building an x299 rig instead of a Z390.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array btrach144 PC Specs
    btrach144 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
    ProcessorIntel i7 8086K @ 5.3 GHz 1.38V
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    CPU CoolerCustom EK loop
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Logitech Powerplay
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z905 5.1 surround
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterASUS 88U

Quote Originally Posted by PsiEmitter View Post
    Thanks, but I was inaccurate. I meant, making bootable RAID0 with DIMM.2 using a x299 board and an X series CPU. This way I would have 44 PCI lanes, so I assume, DIMM.2 AND GPU both would have the full speed, wouldn't they?

Apart from that, let me please ask one more question. If I don't use RAID0 on the DIMM.2 card, but I use a 970 PRO and a 970 EVO, and I want to use the 970 PRO for OS and 970 EVO for data storage, will the 970 PRO still be bootable?
    the two ports on the DIMM.2 riser card both connect to the cpu on the xi extreme. You can’t use the DMI interface. If you want to keep your GPU at full speed, you’d need to use the two NVMe slots directly on the motherboard. You’ll be limited by DMI interface if you go with RAID 0. With this motherboard, you’ll need to decide if you want GPU or SSDs to run full speed.

*Not sure about bootable drives. Pretty sure all NVMe slots on all ASUS Z370/390 boards are bootable but someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Can I ask your opinion: what do you think the difference in gaming performance would be between a stock 9900K and a bit overclocked 9900X system? 44 PCIe lanes seem to be quite appealing for me, so I started to think about perhaps building an x299 rig instead of a Z390.

I can only compare the 9900K with the i9-7900X and at stock the 7900X and 9900K take turns being slightly more efficient or better at a benchmark than the other. So some single thread applications the 9900K takes the win. (all stock so single thread 9900K has OC to 5GHz as standard) But multi thread the 7900X comes home first.

Handbrake there is nothing in it. A point here a point there so pretty much even.

PC Mark 10 the 9900K shades every test.

Add a VGU into the mix and the higher clocked 9900K will take the lead too.

The 9900X once OC'd looks very strong I must say. I do not have one here so can not compare directory. At the end of the day you need to decide what is more important, multi thread v single thread speed. PCIe for graphics at max or data speed.

My personal view is both will exceed your real world expectations in any case so it does not matter much. I don't think I have ever been fussed about the speed my M2 drives work in the real world. I stopped benching them ages ago.

Bloody things are so fast these days that a few MB here or there does not make one jot of difference to my work.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I think this beauty is the right choice for you:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WS Z390 Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	76922

I always loved WS boards. They are simply the best!
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo - ASUS Z370 HERO X - I7 8700K - CRUCIAL 16gb PC4-27700 CL16 @ 3466 - Sapphire VEGA 64 - Corsair AX 1200w

ROG Junior Member Array

hello want to ask also question regarding the asus maximus xi extreme

if I use the motherboards 2x m.2 using 970 evo nvme, my gpu will still run at 16x right?

it will only go down to 8x if Dimm.2 is use correct?

ROG Enthusiast Array Shanester PC Specs
    Shanester PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS EXTREME / ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    Processori9-9900K / i9-7900X

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLo View Post

if I use the motherboards 2x m.2 using 970 evo nvme, my gpu will still run at 16x right?

Did you happen to read the first few pages of this thread?

The answer to your question lies within...

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Shanester View Post
    Did you happen to read the first few pages of this thread?

The answer to your question lies within...
    yes I just wanted to make sure, is that wrong to ask? they were all talking about using all 4 m.2 including the ones on the dimm.2 just asking to make sure so I don't make a mistake in purchasing, cause I already purchase 4 nvme and just waiting for this board to be available here and didn't knw about dimm.2 gimping the 16x gpu to 8x

also wanted to ask after if thiers other motherboard in the z390 line up that allows having more then 2 nvme without capping out the 16x gpu to 8x
    reason is if all z390 are like that then, it wont have future proofing anymore , what if thiers a newer model out next year better than the 2080ti so I think 8x for the gpu would really take a hit

ROG Guru: White Belt Array btrach144 PC Specs
    btrach144 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
    ProcessorIntel i7 8086K @ 5.3 GHz 1.38V
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    CPU CoolerCustom EK loop
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Logitech Powerplay
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z905 5.1 surround
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterASUS 88U

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLo View Post

That is correct. I am going that route myself. The motherboard pch heatsink includes 1 full sized thermal pad and 1 quarter sized thermal pad, which should be good enough to cover the SSD controller for Samsung NVMe SSDs.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast