Threaded View

ROG Enthusiast Array

Using multiple M.2 SSDs on a Maximus XI motherboard

Hi Everyone!

Please, be so kind to help me out in the following issues, since I'm not an expert in these matters.

I'm planning to build a new rig around a Maximus XI motherboard. I would like to use four M.2 NVME SSDs: 2x970 EVO 2TB and 2x970 EVO 1 TB. I don't want to use any other type of storage (f.e. SATA III SSD), only the four M.2 SSDs mentioned above. My questions are the following:

1. Assuming I would use Maximus XI Extreme, I could insert two SSDs into the onboard M.2 slots, and the other two into the provided adapter using the DIMM.2 slot. In this case, will I be able to run all my four M.2 SSDs at their maximum write and read speeds, or will there be any bottlenecking factors?

2. Maximus XI Formula doesn't have a DIMM.2 slot, so in this case I can only use the two onboard M.2 slots. Is there any option - like a PCI-E M.2 adapter card, or similar - that would make me possible to add the remaining two M.2 SSDs as well in order to use all four M.2 SSDs in my rig? If this is possible, will I still be able to run all four M.2 SSDs at their maximum write and read speeds?

3. If I used two M.2 SSDs in RAID 0, would this significantly increase the read and write speeds in my system?

Thank you so much for your answers in advance!