Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I have been running M2 drives since they came out. And can say in all that time I have never, not once had an issue with thermal throttling. Air flow is one of the key things I look at when building a system. Water cooled systems (AIO) often have airflow issues because of the absence of fans moving air from bottom entry point, to top ( and diagonally opposite) exit point. That way allowing cooling to happen to all the bits and bobs on the motherboard. VRM's and M2 devices.

The performance will be the same with an adaptor card the right kind in the right PCIe slot. However it does depend which PCI lane you use, and also which adaptor you use.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array btrach144 PC Specs
    btrach144 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
    ProcessorIntel i7 8086K @ 5.3 GHz 1.38V
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    CPU CoolerCustom EK loop
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Logitech Powerplay
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z905 5.1 surround
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterASUS 88U

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    I have been running M2 drives since they came out. And can say in all that time I have never, not once had an issue with thermal throttling. Air flow is one of the key things I look at when building a system. Water cooled systems (AIO) often have airflow issues because of the absence of fans moving air from bottom entry point, to top ( and diagonally opposite) exit point. That way allowing cooling to happen to all the bits and bobs on the motherboard. VRM's and M2 devices.

The performance will be the same with an adaptor card the right kind in the right PCIe slot. However it does depend which PCI lane you use, and also which adaptor you use.
    May I ask how you've gotten an Extreme board? That's the board I wish to purchase but I can't find it for sale yet.

For those wondering what will happen if they use the DIMM.2 slot, dropping their GPU down to x8, TPU did an extensive article on this. They used the 2080Ti, the fastest consumer card on the market, and saw a 2-3% slowdown. They claim this shows GPUs are now able to overwhelm PCIe x8.

Personally, 2-3% doesn't seem like a major slowdown. I may benchmark running the GPU at x16 and x8 in Battlefield V to see what the real world losses are, if any. TPU only saw a 1.8 FPS dip in Battlefield 1 at 4K.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I think I would use the PCI-E X16 socket for the videocard, and below it the PCI-E X8 socket for the adapter card. Could you perhaps recommend any M.2 NVME PCI-E adapter card, that in your opinion would be best to use in a Maximus XI Formula motherboard? Thank you!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by btrach144 View Post
    May I ask how you've gotten an Extreme board? That's the board I wish to purchase but I can't find it for sale yet.

For those wondering what will happen if they use the DIMM.2 slot, dropping their GPU down to x8, TPU did an extensive article on this. They used the 2080Ti, the fastest consumer card on the market, and saw a 2-3% slowdown. They claim this shows GPUs are now able to overwhelm PCIe x8.

Personally, 2-3% doesn't seem like a major slowdown. I may benchmark running the GPU at x16 and x8 in Battlefield V to see what the real world losses are, if any. TPU only saw a 1.8 FPS dip in Battlefield 1 at 4K.
    Thanks for the feedback! May I ask, why would you like to buy exactly the Extreme board? I mean, Formula offers almost all, that Extreme offers, but for a less price. In my country Formula is already buyable in many shps, but Extreme nowhere yet.

ROG Member Array Adrculda PC Specs
    Adrculda PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XI Extreme
    Processori7-9700K, i7-8700K, i9-9900K
    Memory (part number)CORSAIR Vengeance RGB DRAM 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® GTX 1080 TI
    Graphics Card #3Thermaltake Pacific V-GTX 1080Ti Plus Transparent (ASUS ROG)
    Graphics Card #4Thermaltake Pacific VGA Bridge Dual Series 2-Slot Transparent
    Sound CardOn Board Audio
    Storage #12x WD Black NVMe SSD, M.2, PCIe x4, 250GB
    Storage #23x 12TB WD Gold HDD SATA III, w/ 256MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNcore V1 Waterblock
    CaseThermaltake Core X9
    OS Windows 10

Yip that is a very good configuration.

The difference in real world (games for example) performance with 16x v 8x is very small. Interestingly depending on the resolution of your monitor you may find that 8x delivers better performance. I discovered this when testing a Titan card at 16 x v 8x for the benchmark Unigine Heaven a few years back. But over all the difference so small that it is undetectable to the human eye.
    When your running SLI it drops down anyway...

But now the question is:
    where would the Intel Optane module perform the best ??

Quote Originally Posted by Adrculda View Post
    When your running SLI it drops down anyway...

But now the question is:
    where would the Intel Optane module perform the best ??

In my personal system, I will pm you my address.

But seriously your question needs amplification before I am comfortable giving a definitive answer. How many in total devices will be connected to your motherboard, the PCIe slots, M2 slots and so on?

Extensive connectivity inside and out
    At least two M.2 slots are available across our Z390 lineup, which gives you the flexibility to run dual NVMe SSDs without connecting any cables. Alternatively, you can install a primary SSD and use the second slot for Intel Optane Memory that accelerates access to a much larger hard drive. More of our boards are equipped with accompanying M.2 heatsinks to reduce SSD temperatures and ward off thermal throttling with sustained transfers. The ROG Maximus XI Extreme and Gene support up to four M.2 drives, half of which are sandwiched between new heatsinks on our latest DIMM.2 module. At the other end of the spectrum, the workstation-oriented WS Z390 PRO has dual U.2 ports waiting for enterprise-grade 2.5” drives like the Intel Optane SSD 900P.

DIMM.2 takes advantage of the Z390 platform’s support for SSD RAID arrays attached to the CPU, which avoids the DMI bottleneck between the processor and chipset. You can also tap into CPU-connected RAID with the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2. Up to three SSDs can combine to deliver ludicrous throughput. Arrays are bootable through Intel’s RST framework, making them viable for system drives as well.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

In my personal system, I will pm you my address.

But seriously your question needs amplification before I am comfortable giving a definitive answer. How many in total devices will be connected to your motherboard, the PCIe slots, M2 slots and so on?
    Hi!

Does this mean, that DIMM.2 goes strait to CPU and not through DMI bus? Mounting two 970 EVO M.2 SSDs on the DIMM.2, can I gain the maximum read speeds (3500 MB/s) on both M.2s?

In this case the graphics card would work only at X8 speed instead of X16. Marginal difference, but still existent (using an RTX 2080 TI it's 1-8 FPS average, depending on resolution). Wouldn't than X299 be a etter option for multiple M.2 SSDs? It would provide 44 PCIe lanes and quad channel memory support, so I assume, with an X299 all M.2 SSDs could be used at their peak speeds. However, for example a 9900X will only have a 4,5 Ghz boost clock, so slower, than 9900K's 5 Ghz, but I don't have experience, how much difference this actually would make in gaming situations...

Oh, and one more thing. Asus' Hyper M.2 card looks great in theory, but if I remember well, it uses VROC and supports only Intel M.2 SSDs in Raid0 configurations...

I agree with you the X299 would provide you with more PCI band width.

The ASUS Hyper M.2x16 card offers VROC (Virtual Raid) support correct. The Hype is only a expansion card it must be understood. You could still use the Hyper as a boot device in RAID 0.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I agree with you the X299 would provide you with more PCI band width.

The ASUS Hyper M.2x16 card offers VROC (Virtual Raid) support correct. The Hype is only a expansion card it must be understood. You could still use the Hyper as a boot device in RAID 0.
    Could you please tell me: can I create a bootable RAID0 with two 970 EVO M.2 cards inserting both on the DIMM.2 card?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array btrach144 PC Specs
    btrach144 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
    ProcessorIntel i7 8086K @ 5.3 GHz 1.38V
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    CPU CoolerCustom EK loop
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Logitech Powerplay
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z905 5.1 surround
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterASUS 88U

Quote Originally Posted by PsiEmitter View Post
    Could you please tell me: can I create a bootable RAID0 with two 970 EVO M.2 cards inserting both on the DIMM.2 card?
    Yes, you can. This would provide you with nearly 100% performance as well since it's connected directly to the CPU and not the DMI. The downside to this would be your graphics card will run at x8.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast