cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 0602 - Triple Boot & XMP?

Esoplayer
Level 8
Hello everyone,

I run a Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi board, and I just updated to bios 0602 from the default shipped bios.
I quickly discovered that when you unplug your PC and attempt to start it again later it needs to go through a double post to reinitialize the memory as I move my PC frequently.

Since this latest update, however, it has started doing a triple boot cycle, instead of the original double before finally booting into windows. Is this the case for everyone else who updated their bios recently?

My second question is I've been playing around with the XMP profiles, and I was wondering which one is generally preferred with a mild CPU overclock. XMP 1 or XMP 2?

Thanks!
34 REPLIES 34

Mr__Fox
Level 12
Duplicate post. Please delete.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr__Fox
Level 12
I cannot answer your first question because I have different hardware.

As to your second question, you can check the XMP profiles in CPU-Z or AIDA64, but generally XMP-2 is more aggressive than XMP-1. It seems rare to find memory with two XMP profiles any more. It used to be more common.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

HiVizMan
Level 40
The double post is normal that is your system re-training.

The triple boot is not or rather I have not had that and hints at your hardware and UEFI struggling to handshake.

Here is what I would like you to do.

Clear CMOS.
Use a USB stick/drive and do a flash back to the BIOS you first had.

Power up and confirm all is as you recall behavior wise in BIOS. Then if you want, or if you need (not sure what your motivation or need was) update to the next bios. Remember if it ain't broke there is no need to fix stuff. Not always worthwhile having the latest bios. The fix's included may not be optimal for your system, but rather address reported issues. So if your bios does what you need it to do, stick with it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Esoplayer wrote:
Hello everyone,

I run a Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi board, and I just updated to bios 0602 from the default shipped bios.
I quickly discovered that when you unplug your PC and attempt to start it again later it needs to go through a double post to reinitialize the memory as I move my PC frequently.

Since this latest update, however, it has started doing a triple boot cycle, instead of the original double before finally booting into windows. Is this the case for everyone else who updated their bios recently?

My second question is I've been playing around with the XMP profiles, and I was wondering which one is generally preferred with a mild CPU overclock. XMP 1 or XMP 2?

Thanks!

Hi,

1) The triple boot cycle is normally due to UEFI config. Certain settings, as well as controllers, require a power cycle.

2) The preferred profile depends on the memory kit so would need further details in order to comment.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thanks for the replies guys

@hiviz I'm not sure if I can revert back because the bios I originally had was the stocked shipped bios. I belive the version started with a 04 which I don't see listed under the support page. I tried reverting back to 0506 and the triple post persists from a cold boot. The original stock bios was the normal double. After the triple boot. The system seems to run fine, but it always resets my afterburner profiles I've noticed.

@scone So I shouldn't be concerned even with a triple post as hivizman mentioned?
I have g skill trident Z memory rated at 3200. I'm running it at xmp 1 for now with what seems like no issues. I just wondered if xmp 2 would be preferred since it claims it uses g skill settings instead of a mix of g skill and Asus optimized.

Thanks again!

Esoplayer wrote:

@scone So I shouldn't be concerned even with a triple post as hivizman mentioned?
I have g skill trident Z memory rated at 3200. I'm running it at xmp 1 for now with what seems like no issues. I just wondered if xmp 2 would be preferred since it claims it uses g skill settings instead of a mix of g skill and Asus optimized.

Thanks again!

No reason to be concerned. As previously mentioned it depends on the configuration as some of the onboard controllers need to cycle, cannot be helped. Three cycles can also be due to memory training. Bottom line, everything is working 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I have a similar problem....
The 0506 and 0602 bios not works fine with my Z390F gaming board(9900K)....all bios setting is default, and cold boot,double boot.Why, i dont know? 😞
But the first bios 0224,works fine with my board...no cool boot,no double boot.. :rolleyes:

HiVizMan
Level 40
On your disk that came with the motherboard is the shipping bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
On your disk that came with the motherboard is the shipping bios.

I have the same problem, triple boot cycle after upgrading bios to the latest version.. mine is call of duty edition btw, come with an usb stick instead of cd, and there's no factory bios file to revert back..

sorry for grammar issues, i'm from indonesia.