Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

BIOS 0602 - Triple Boot & XMP?

Hello everyone,

I run a Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi board, and I just updated to bios 0602 from the default shipped bios.
    I quickly discovered that when you unplug your PC and attempt to start it again later it needs to go through a double post to reinitialize the memory as I move my PC frequently.

Since this latest update, however, it has started doing a triple boot cycle, instead of the original double before finally booting into windows. Is this the case for everyone else who updated their bios recently?

My second question is I've been playing around with the XMP profiles, and I was wondering which one is generally preferred with a mild CPU overclock. XMP 1 or XMP 2?

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)- NA -
    MotherboardEVGA X299 Dark
    Processori9-7960X @ 5.2GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-4000 @ 4200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti xC2 Ultra Gaming
    MonitorPredator XB271HU 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1512GB 960 Pro x 2 (OS Boot Drives)
    Storage #2960GB Samung Enterprise NVMe SSD x 2 | 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerDual 360MM XPSC Rads+1/2 HP Water Chiller
    CasePraxis WetBench
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Wireless
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher Wireless S6CRW
    Mouse Pad Black Anodized Aluminum
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System
    OS W10 Ent LTSB 2016 / W7 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Accessory #1 Hailea HC-500A 1/2HP~790Watt Water Chiller

Duplicate post. Please delete.
    Last edited by Mr. Fox; 11-02-2018 at 02:30 AM.
    Punisher | EVGA X299 Dark | i9-7960X @ 5.2GHz | 32GB Corsair LPX 4000 @ 4200 | EVGA 2080 TI xC2 HydroCopper Block
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W P2 | 2x 512GB 960 Pro / 2x 1TB Enterprise NVMe / 2TB HDD / 4TB HDD | W10 / W7 (Dual Boot)
    2x XSPC RX360 | Praxis WetBench | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Results:
    http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)- NA -
    MotherboardEVGA X299 Dark
    Processori9-7960X @ 5.2GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-4000 @ 4200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti xC2 Ultra Gaming
    MonitorPredator XB271HU 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1512GB 960 Pro x 2 (OS Boot Drives)
    Storage #2960GB Samung Enterprise NVMe SSD x 2 | 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerDual 360MM XPSC Rads+1/2 HP Water Chiller
    CasePraxis WetBench
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Wireless
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher Wireless S6CRW
    Mouse Pad Black Anodized Aluminum
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System
    OS W10 Ent LTSB 2016 / W7 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Accessory #1 Hailea HC-500A 1/2HP~790Watt Water Chiller

I cannot answer your first question because I have different hardware.

As to your second question, you can check the XMP profiles in CPU-Z or AIDA64, but generally XMP-2 is more aggressive than XMP-1. It seems rare to find memory with two XMP profiles any more. It used to be more common.
    Last edited by Mr. Fox; 11-02-2018 at 02:35 AM.
    Punisher | EVGA X299 Dark | i9-7960X @ 5.2GHz | 32GB Corsair LPX 4000 @ 4200 | EVGA 2080 TI xC2 HydroCopper Block
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W P2 | 2x 512GB 960 Pro / 2x 1TB Enterprise NVMe / 2TB HDD / 4TB HDD | W10 / W7 (Dual Boot)
    2x XSPC RX360 | Praxis WetBench | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Results:
    http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

The double post is normal that is your system re-training.

The triple boot is not or rather I have not had that and hints at your hardware and UEFI struggling to handshake.

Here is what I would like you to do.

Clear CMOS.
    Use a USB stick/drive and do a flash back to the BIOS you first had.

Power up and confirm all is as you recall behavior wise in BIOS. Then if you want, or if you need (not sure what your motivation or need was) update to the next bios. Remember if it ain't broke there is no need to fix stuff. Not always worthwhile having the latest bios. The fix's included may not be optimal for your system, but rather address reported issues. So if your bios does what you need it to do, stick with it.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Esoplayer View Post
    Hello everyone,

I run a Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi board, and I just updated to bios 0602 from the default shipped bios.
    I quickly discovered that when you unplug your PC and attempt to start it again later it needs to go through a double post to reinitialize the memory as I move my PC frequently.

Since this latest update, however, it has started doing a triple boot cycle, instead of the original double before finally booting into windows. Is this the case for everyone else who updated their bios recently?

My second question is I've been playing around with the XMP profiles, and I was wondering which one is generally preferred with a mild CPU overclock. XMP 1 or XMP 2?

Thanks!
    Hi,

1) The triple boot cycle is normally due to UEFI config. Certain settings, as well as controllers, require a power cycle.

2) The preferred profile depends on the memory kit so would need further details in order to comment.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the replies guys

@hiviz I'm not sure if I can revert back because the bios I originally had was the stocked shipped bios. I belive the version started with a 04 which I don't see listed under the support page. I tried reverting back to 0506 and the triple post persists from a cold boot. The original stock bios was the normal double. After the triple boot. The system seems to run fine, but it always resets my afterburner profiles I've noticed.

@scone So I shouldn't be concerned even with a triple post as hivizman mentioned?
    I have g skill trident Z memory rated at 3200. I'm running it at xmp 1 for now with what seems like no issues. I just wondered if xmp 2 would be preferred since it claims it uses g skill settings instead of a mix of g skill and Asus optimized.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Esoplayer; 11-02-2018 at 04:54 PM.

On your disk that came with the motherboard is the shipping bios.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for that. I was able to find it on the disc and revert back to the shipped version. Everything seems to be acting fine and is competing the double post on cold boot again instead of a triple.
    I haven't had a chance to update it back to try again and see if it picks up the triple boot characteristic again.

The only reason I updated was because I was having a small issue where certain programs were not saving settings on reboot sometimes. I believe I solved that by disabling W10 fast boot setting.

My reasoning for updating the bios is because it has become so simple now I usually do it like drivers to stay on top of everything. When they include system stability and improvement in the update log, especially on such a new chipset, I imagined there were some kinks to work out.
    I don't seem to have any issues with the shipped version other than the settings problem which seemed to be windows.
    Last edited by Esoplayer; 11-02-2018 at 08:15 PM.

I hear you Esoplayer - when things become so easy we forget actually that there is huge risk involved. Updating your bios and having a power failure mid way through is often catastrophic.

Keep me in the loop as to how things progress please.

ROG Member Array

I tried going back to the latest bios and it recreated the triple post. Once I'm in windows I don't seem to run into any problems and this only happens from a cold boot. I can see what you're saying about it being concerning as it should only be a double post for that initial memory hand off. So for now I'm going to stick with just the shipped bios since I have no issues within windows on that version either. I can achieve a decent little overclock in both bios and run my XMP settings. If I run into any issues or a new update comes out later I'll try again, but for now i'm happy.

Thanks for all the help HiVizMan!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast