cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM Keyboard backlight issue

INZdk
Level 7
Hello guys,

I have a GL504GM laptop (ROG Strix Scar II) and I have an issue with keyboard backlight.

When a laptop is plugged to external power source everything works properly, I can turn off/on backlight using Fn + arrow up/down.
The issue occurs when a laptop is using battery power. After 1 minute of not using a laptop, keyboard backlight is turning off. Fn + arrow up is not working, pressing any key is not working, only method to turn backlight back on is to open ROG Aura, apply changes and closing it. It's really inconvenient.
42 REPLIES 42

tap002
Level 9
I found this: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036500 I've never deleted the contents of the folder they show.

My suggestion:

Go to your support page: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-Hero-II/HelpDesk_Download/
Download:
Aura Service (lighting service)
ROG Aura Core Component (not store app)
ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver

Now uninstall:
Store apps: ROG Aura Core; Asus Keyboard Hotkeys
Apps: Aura Service; ROG Aura Core Component

Now install:
Apps:
ATK package
ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver
ROG Aura Core Component; then Aura Service, (per instructions from you support page)
Store apps:
ROG Aura Core; Asus Keyboard Hotkeys

Unfortunatelly it didn't help.

ASUS drivers page (https://www.asus.com/pl/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/) provides:
- Aura Lighting Service (Aura Service) V1.00.41
- ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.3.0 (which IS atk package, there is no other atk package on this site)
- Aura Service 3.02.23
- ROG Aura Core Component 1.0.14

So what I did:
- downloaded all drivers listed above
- uninstalled ms store rog aura core
- uninstalled aura service
- uninstalled ASUS keyboard hotkeys driver (aka ATK)
- installed ASUS keyboard hotkeys driver (aka ATK) from ASUS site
- installed Aura Core components driver from ASUS site
- installed Aura Lightning Service driver from ASUS site
- installed Aura Service driver from ASUS site
- installed ROG Aura Core from MS store

I did reboot PC, unplugged from external power source, after 1 minute keyboard backlit turned off and didn't turn on by pressing any key or Fn+up/down.

Aura service and lighting service are the same thing only use one. Try the older lighting service. Dumb question, did you open lighting service right click install.bat, run as administrator? Also I thought you had a Hero II not a Scar II, check your support page? All we did is uninstall and reinstall everything keyboard related so from here I don't know what to tell you.

tap002 wrote:
Aura service and lighting service are the same thing only use one. Try the older lighting service. Dumb question, did you open lighting service right click install.bat, run as administrator? Also I thought you had a Hero II not a Scar II, check your support page? All we did is uninstall and reinstall everything keyboard related so from here I don't know what to tell you.

Tomorrow I will try install one only and will let you know about result. Yes all drivers were installed with admin privileges, ofc I have Scar II, my mistake, will correct it in original post, tho model is properl GL504GM. OK maybe someone else will have other idea. If I could make them be turned on all the time even on battery that would make me happy as well.

JHLow
Level 7
Yes, I have facing similar issue on GL503GE. Can you advise the problem is solved?

JHLow wrote:
Yes, I have facing similar issue on GL503GE. Can you advise the problem is solved?

Actually I used option in Windows Defender to make fresh and clean state of Windows (please be aware that it will delete ALL the software) and it removed all the asus software and services. Right now on battery keyboard backlit never turns off and I'm happy with this solution. I'm going to never install any asus software (backlit is static red as I wanted, not going to change it). Fn + up/down is still working if I want to turn it off/on manually. It turned out that asus software is huge crap and was in fault here. I only hope that Windows Update will never auto-install it. If it will I will just sell this junk and buy Alienware (seriously should have done that at first place, this is not my first issue with this laptop and I have it for a month only).

Same problem here, had a lot of problems also (boot loop, stuck pixels and other stuffs)

I just noticed that if you are unplugged, and the Aura Core software is open, the backlit works normally, but i really can't accept this as a solution.

For sure, the problem is the Aura Core software.

Unfortunatelly after 24h Windows Update auto-installed ASUS Aura Service, ASUS Promotion, etc. Issue came back to me.. I had like 20 laptops in my life so far. This is biggest crap I ever had. Any ideas how can I handle this issue? Anyone from Poland that want buy this crap? 1 month old laptop..

My laptop is plugged in 99% of the time. My keyboard was working perfectly on battery one month ago. Tonight I was on battery, keyboard went off and will not turn back on by touching any key as previously would. The only thing that has changed in the last month is Windows updates and Asus did update ROG Aura Core App, in windows store.