cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU501 Backlit keyboard wont stay on

SilentArtist
Level 7
Hello, back in September I purchased an ROG GU501 G notebook and recently Ive had some trouble with the backlit keyboard.

As of last week, whenever I turn on the laptop, the backlit keyboard sometimes turns on and whwn it doesnt, i have to manually go into aura core to turn it on. Ive also noticed that when the laptop is left idle, the blacklit keyboard will turn (i know it does that after about a minute of no activity) but as soon as i start using the keyboard again, the lights wont come back on unless i go into the aura core app and then close it after simply opening it.

Everything has worked fine until this last week, ive tried re-installing the aura core, nothing. I installed drivers from the asus website, nothing. Whats going on??? 😞
9 REPLIES 9

buffineer
Level 7
SilentArtist wrote:
Hello, back in September I purchased an ROG GU501 G notebook and recently Ive had some trouble with the backlit keyboard.

As of last week, whenever I turn on the laptop, the backlit keyboard sometimes turns on and whwn it doesnt, i have to manually go into aura core to turn it on. Ive also noticed that when the laptop is left idle, the blacklit keyboard will turn (i know it does that after about a minute of no activity) but as soon as i start using the keyboard again, the lights wont come back on unless i go into the aura core app and then close it after simply opening it.

Everything has worked fine until this last week, ive tried re-installing the aura core, nothing. I installed drivers from the asus website, nothing. Whats going on??? 😞

I am having the same exact problem. The only solution that Asus has for me is to do a system restore, which wasn't even factory enabled on mine. The newest updates are making it even worse. I feel like we need to at least have a some kind of back lighting at some point to just see the keys even. ASUS really needs to get it together so we aren't using junk software with our 1,500 laptops. I am close to taking mine back to BB and getting an MSI...

I'm having the same issue; I'm starting to think that it has to do with the newest update for aura core because before the update my keyboard was doing fine up until the app updated itself from the Microsoft store on October 31. For me, that's when I started to experience this problem. I hope this gets resolved soon as it is inconvenient at times.

Hello I have the same issue I bought my laptop in may the problem started about a month ago. so I took it to geek squad they sent it to asus. The response I got was not very helpful. According to them they adjusted settings in the Rog. Aura must be set to sync with unit. then the back light will stay on. that is what I was told the first time. A few days later I brought it back because it was shutting off after a minute of inactivity. the second time i was told that Aura sync must be turned off. none of this helped the third time I complained about the issue they gave me a new laptop which is the same one. I now have a new laptop and it does the same thing lights turn off after one minute of inactivity . I hope they fix this soon.

I echo the exact same cries for help. No wonder this was an open box items from BB! If I got directly into the settings to turn on the lights, they only stay on for 5 minutes or so! :mad:

so is asus going to address this or not? for me it broke after the october 2018 windows update. I can maybe revert back, but it's not like I can avoid updating my laptop forever.
this is a widespread issue that seems to affect every single owner of this laptop. I did the supposed "fix" of disabling the aura service on startup and that didn't do it. keyboard still shut off after like 20 mins on battery. I also have a best buy open box and thinking of returning it bc of this. it's a fairly minor issue, but if I've owne the laptop less than 2 weeks and already have issues, it's not a good sign for the future.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Has anyone tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ATK package?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Has anyone tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ATK package?

I have not tried that how would I go about doing that?

i can confirm that updating the aura core software via windows store fixes this issue.