cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 Ti Strix OC fans not shutting off under the temperature threshold.

danoz0r
Level 8
I'm aware of the card has a switch which is "performance mode" and "Quiet Mode".

And only on "Quiet Mode" will zero rpm activate under 55 Celsius. Even on GPU tweak 2 there is a "0db Fan" which can be enabled.

Literally tried everything. Fans still spin.

Anyone in the same boat?
7 REPLIES 7

danoz0r
Level 8
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution. Reinstalled GPU Tweak. Problem solved.

So basically if your GPU is on "default-Performance mode" and install GPU Tweak and switch to "quiet-mode" fans will still spin until you reinstall GPU tweak.

I know its not rocket science. But this might help if someone else runs into the same problem.

Mr__Fox
Level 12
Glad it was so simple. I was going to reply that I'd be more than happy to take the 2080 Ti Strix OC off your hands if that fan thing was a problem. :cool: Have a nice weekend with that killer GPU.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

I finally got my RTX ROG Strix 2080Ti OC today but I could not get this 0dB mode working with the performance bios yet. It is working fine with the quiet bios and I can actually see the button/switch in the GPU Tweak II program, as long as I am using the quiet bios. But when I restart with the performance bios this button is not visible!
I tried different versions of GPU Tweak II: 1.6.7.0 and 1.8.8.0 (with OSD).

But it should work like this, if I am not mistaken. The official product page says (translated):
"There are two ways to activate the 0dB mode: With active performance-bios-mode (P) over the GPU-Tweak-Software or by activating the quiet-bios-mode (Q)."
(source: https://www.asus.com/de/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING/ )
The English version of this webpage is missing the part with the performance bios - but many reviews (German as well as English ones) of this GPUs stated, that you could also activate it in the performance bios with the GPU-Tweak-Software.

I also tried to set a custom fan curve, but it won't allow me to put steps below 22% fan speed. Isn't the software up to date? Do I need an updated (bios) version? I would love to use the best of both bios settings: The good cooling under load and the quietness in idle/desktop usage.

Thanks for any help.

Coolguy906
Level 7
To my understanding, if you are on P-mode, the 0dB function is disabled even in software, could you post some more links saying it otherwise?

Coolguy906 wrote:
To my understanding, if you are on P-mode, the 0dB function is disabled even in software, could you post some more links saying it otherwise?

Yeah, it seems like this is the case. I have checked some of the reviews again and it seems that they have been changed in the meantime and are now worded more vaguely:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Strix_OC/32.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,3.html
For example guru3d talks about the fan stop feature and then mentions, that you can also switch to a quiet bios mode - which suggests, that they have been talking about the performance bios before.
Another two reviews are saying now, that the fans are always running. I am pretty sure, that at least one of those reviews was talking about enabling Fan-Stop in P-bios with the software before.
And during this quick search I have only found one (german) review, which still explicitely says, that you have to use the software, to make the fans stop completely, if you are using the performance bios: https://www.allround-pc.com/artikel/grafikkarten/2018/test-asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-oc

It seems like this feature was originally planned for the performance mode as well or there was a mistake during the communication with the marketing department. I have seen plenty of online shops, that have just copied the offical product information, not only German+Austria+Switzerland ones but also in the Netherlands and even a Swedish one. The official German product page is still saying:
"*Es gibt zwei Möglichkeiten den 0dB-Modus zu aktivieren: Bei aktiviertem Performance-BIOS-Modus (P) über die GPU-Tweak-Software oder über die Aktivierung des Quiet-BIOS-Modus (Q)." (see my previous post for a translation)
But the English version is just saying: "*To activate 0dB mode, please engage Quiet (Q) bios mode by using the onboard switch." - which suggests that is not possible at all with the performance bios.

I can understand, that ASUS wants to show off very low temperatures with this mode in all situations, so this feature is disabled by default. But I really wonder, if there is any technical reason to not allow the user to enable a complete fan stop using the performance bios. Probably not, I mean idle is idle and if it's fine for the quiet bios, it should be no problem with a different fan curve, which is the only difference between those bios settings as far as I know - or is there any other difference between those two bios settings?

I guess I will switch to the quiet bios, once I have upgraded my case fans. This should result in just a few degrees more which should be totally fine and I really want to have this feature in idle situations. And of course you could still set a custom fan curve, if needed.

The_Ich wrote:
Yeah, it seems like this is the case. I have checked some of the reviews again and it seems that they have been changed in the meantime and are now worded more vaguely:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Strix_OC/32.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,3.html
For example guru3d talks about the fan stop feature and then mentions, that you can also switch to a quiet bios mode - which suggests, that they have been talking about the performance bios before.
Another two reviews are saying now, that the fans are always running. I am pretty sure, that at least one of those reviews was talking about enabling Fan-Stop in P-bios with the software before.
And during this quick search I have only found one (german) review, which still explicitely says, that you have to use the software, to make the fans stop completely, if you are using the performance bios: https://www.allround-pc.com/artikel/grafikkarten/2018/test-asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-oc

It seems like this feature was originally planned for the performance mode as well or there was a mistake during the communication with the marketing department. I have seen plenty of online shops, that have just copied the offical product information, not only German+Austria+Switzerland ones but also in the Netherlands and even a Swedish one. The official German product page is still saying:
"*Es gibt zwei Möglichkeiten den 0dB-Modus zu aktivieren: Bei aktiviertem Performance-BIOS-Modus (P) über die GPU-Tweak-Software oder über die Aktivierung des Quiet-BIOS-Modus (Q)." (see my previous post for a translation)
But the English version is just saying: "*To activate 0dB mode, please engage Quiet (Q) bios mode by using the onboard switch." - which suggests that is not possible at all with the performance bios.

I can understand, that ASUS wants to show off very low temperatures with this mode in all situations, so this feature is disabled by default. But I really wonder, if there is any technical reason to not allow the user to enable a complete fan stop using the performance bios. Probably not, I mean idle is idle and if it's fine for the quiet bios, it should be no problem with a different fan curve, which is the only difference between those bios settings as far as I know - or is there any other difference between those two bios settings?

I guess I will switch to the quiet bios, once I have upgraded my case fans. This should result in just a few degrees more which should be totally fine and I really want to have this feature in idle situations. And of course you could still set a custom fan curve, if needed.

FYI~ I just had my 2080ti in P-mode and accessed GPU tweak, I noticed there is no 0dB function in software anymore, than I switch to Q-mode and the function appeared, so I believe my guess is correct

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
BE READY. That is what i can say! just be ready.
Learn, Play Enjoy!