cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clip doesn't lock into place when installing Asus GeForce Strix GTX 980 DirectCU II

hammerpaal
Level 7
Hi!

Specs:

Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 motherboard (BIOS 1302)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
2x Asus GeForce Strix GTX 980 DirectCU II
16 GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix RAM
Asus Xonar DX Audio Device Card

Computer is custom built around 3 years ago and I was recently keep getting messages indicating there was time to replace the CMOS battery.
I thought it would be an easy task to do, until I understood I had to remove one of the graphics card. Been reading a lot and gained tips to remove it without damaging the PCI-E retention clip at the back of the lane.
I unscrewed the graphics card from the side frame and finger-pushed the clip towards the right to release the card. I noticed there wasn't a "click" or something in particular, it felt loose when I pushed it. Nothing seemed broken, and I could easily pull the card straight towards me.
When mounting the card back, I pushed it into the slot as much as I could. The clip didn't click the card into place. I had to manually push it, but there wasn't much room and space to clip it back.

Is this particular card to big to clip it into the place? or is the size of it uneven?

I noticed there wasn't much space left between the clip and the card and it looks like the card itself is not allowing it to clip back.
4 REPLIES 4

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe pipe not allow him to back.
They usually predict such things...

Example on my board ASUS RVE10 locker on last PCI-E slot on bottom hold sound card installed on small slot above him to stay right, if I put down locked and sound card is not right. Everything is measured and predicted and It's weird that pipe not allow to locker back.

Vlada011 wrote:
Maybe pipe not allow him to back.
They usually predict such things...

Example on my board ASUS RVE10 locker on last PCI-E slot on bottom hold sound card installed on small slot above him to stay right, if I put down locked and sound card is not right. Everything is measured and predicted and It's weird that pipe not allow to locker back.

I don't know for sure what is happening. Considering both the motherboard and the graphics card are made by ASUS, I would assume 100 % compatibility.
I have no other problems with the system, but it bugs me if these are broken already or non-functional out of the box. Why not making them tougher and more durable?

VengeanceWithin
Level 7
hammerpaal wrote:
Hi!

Specs:

Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 motherboard (BIOS 1302)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
2x Asus GeForce Strix GTX 980 DirectCU II
16 GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix RAM
Asus Xonar DX Audio Device Card

Computer is custom built around 3 years ago and I was recently keep getting messages indicating there was time to replace the CMOS battery.
I thought it would be an easy task to do, until I understood I had to remove one of the graphics card. Been reading a lot and gained tips to remove it without damaging the PCI-E retention clip at the back of the lane.
I unscrewed the graphics card from the side frame and finger-pushed the clip towards the right to release the card. I noticed there wasn't a "click" or something in particular, it felt loose when I pushed it. Nothing seemed broken, and I could easily pull the card straight towards me.
When mounting the card back, I pushed it into the slot as much as I could. The clip didn't click the card into place. I had to manually push it, but there wasn't much room and space to clip it back.

Is this particular card to big to clip it into the place? or is the size of it uneven?

I noticed there wasn't much space left between the clip and the card and it looks like the card itself is not allowing it to clip back.

Might be a little late now but I too was having this problem on my Edition 10. It seems like the GPU hits the SATA ports at the back of the board before the GPU can make contact with the latch and make it clip in. After looking at it for a while it looks like the armor on the bottom side of the motherboard is making contact with the rubber grommets for routing cables in my case. This is causing the back of the board to sit a tiny bit higher and thus causing the GPU to hit the SATA Ports.

I got it to lock in but taking off the Right Side panel and pushing the mother board tray back towards the GPU. It didn't take much and I could here it lock in. Shouldn't have to do that but I'm glad I got in as it not going in was driving me nut. Hope this helps.

VengeanceWithin wrote:
Might be a little late now but I too was having this problem on my Edition 10. It seems like the GPU hits the SATA ports at the back of the board before the GPU can make contact with the latch and make it clip in. After looking at it for a while it looks like the armor on the bottom side of the motherboard is making contact with the rubber grommets for routing cables in my case. This is causing the back of the board to sit a tiny bit higher and thus causing the GPU to hit the SATA Ports.

I got it to lock in but taking off the Right Side panel and pushing the mother board tray back towards the GPU. It didn't take much and I could here it lock in. Shouldn't have to do that but I'm glad I got in as it not going in was driving me nut. Hope this helps.

It's never too late! 🙂 All input helps. The gpu fits the port nicely, it's just the clip that doesn't lock properly. Probably an OCD thing to worry over.
Never had any other issue with the motherboard and the setup, so I should keep my mouth shut and pray I won't experience it either. :cool: