cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking i7 7700k

Yuzumi
Level 7
Hey there,

i have a small question, or more a "problem". I recently got the i7 7700k and a pretty decent rig in general (will list the components down below).
I tried overclocking this CPU in the hope that i could get near 5ghz of power. Now let me say this, i'm not the most experienced person if it comes to overclocking in general. Therefore, i let the 5 Way Optimization Tool from AI Suite 3 run and overclock the CPU. This is the point where i got kinda dissapointed, and im not sure if i did something wrong, or my rig is really not as good as i thought it would be.

My Rig :

Cooling : be quiet Dark Rock 3

What 5 Way Optimization Tool came out with :

I hope one of you guys can give me some advice / and or hints of why this may not be working out at all.
18 REPLIES 18

Dude1070
Level 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yuzumi for me the key factor when overclocking is temperatures.

So looking at that graphic I see a voltage of 1.3 for the CPU and a 4.7GHz overclock. What I also see is a 87'C temp recorded.

The software you used will have determined that because of that temp, which it recorded while analysing your set up that 4.7 is the max OC it will set.

That has to be a good thing, it is protecting your system.

OK so if you want more, and you set up your OC in the bios of the motherboard you will have far more control over the different settings. That will allow you to possibly go higher with less voltage. Less voltage should equal lower temps.

Read the guides and don't be shy to ask questions if you need clarification of stuff.

Remember: Let Temps be your Guide.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey,

thanks for all the help you guys have provided me until now, i really appreciate it !

I will try and head into the BIOS, i havent really worked in it until now and will try my best and follow the guide as close as possible.
I didnt knew before that CPU clock speed and how the temperatures act could be that vary, also a very crucial information.

I will reply and or edit this post as soon as i got any results.

Quick question : Any Benchmark programs that you guys can recommend ?

HiVizMan wrote:

Remember: Let Temps be your Guide.

I have a Zephyrus lappy with a 7700HQ & 1080 Max-Q,... My question is I have seen temp go to 99 C. This only happens of course when I play games, but how can I solve this,... ?

@reply to HiVizMan

I tested a bit around and it seems to be stable at 1.275V.

Yuzumi wrote:
@reply to HiVizMan

I tested a bit around and it seems to be stable at 1.275V.

Nice one. Right make sure you save that OC profile in your Asus Profile in the bios, and I suggest also to a USB drive. Make a note of the bios version too.

If you want to fine tune memory then you have a base to work from. Just remember to change one thing at a time so that way you can evaluate effectively the changes.

@ Tipjar I am not up to speed with Laptop cooling. Gaming on any laptop is going to generate a lot of heat, with minimal airflow to cool the internals so it is not unreasonable to see high temps. Some solutions include a laptop cooler pad. But I have no idea how effective they are.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Use ROG Realbench to stress and bench your system. It offer real world stuff and not artificial stress testing for the CPU. Look the other stress tests that are available have their worth, don't get me wrong but for real world testing the application that Nodens wrote (Realbench) is still the best for my money.

If your system passes Realbench stress it is stable.

Okay im back after one stress test,

i set as instructed by the guide, to 4,8ghz and 1.25V.

Edit : Result will post shortly

Okay so i shall return with results,

it didnt take long until the Realbench told me that there is an "Instability".

I dont really know what i should do about Instability though ?