Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Disappointing to see that neither etailer carries G74 replacement keys...guess I better take care of the ones I have and hope my parrot doesn't get hold of them and tear 'em off like he did with my Dell Latitude D610.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

PortaDiFerro
    So did anybody find suitable model for replacement keys? I'm in need of some too for my G74SX. Kids keep prying them off and one of them plastic parts under the cap lost a pin so it doesn't stay put anymore. Browsing ebay I've seen several Asus model keys have the mechanism that looks exactly the same, just not sure if it is the same size. I guess I'll try a couple if nobody knows for a fact a suitable model. Not like those are expensive, at least compared to spare keyboard, those seem to go for about 250 euros!!!

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
    Not like those are expensive, at least compared to spare keyboard, those seem to go for about 250 euros!!!
    Asusparts.eu sell new KB for 155 euros, but stil that is a lot of money =/
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
    So did anybody find suitable model for replacement keys? I'm in need of some too for my G74SX. Kids keep prying them off and---
    And this is one of many reasons I choose not to have kids.

ROG Member Array

Me too - My "Fire" key just broke! :(

I use somewhat unconventional key bindings for gaming:
    Mouse is primarily direction (M1 is move forward, M2 move back, etc), and I use LCtrl for Fire, Z and X for Strafe, etc.
    I've been wearing through my LCtrl key for a while. The black wore off, going white, then that wore off, going clear. About 30 min ago, the key just snapped in half, and now it's basically useless. Seeing as it is my main "Fire" button... yeah, I use it a lot.

So I have the same problem on my G74S... thank you for creating this thread! I wasn't sure if I was going to have any luck in finding replacement keys

Regarding the links above:
    Replacement Laptop Keys (location unknown) has keys for $9.95 each, with flat rate shipping of $1.79 (any qty) for US
    LaptopKey.com (located in Los Angeles, CA) has keys for $4.95 each, also with flat rate shipping of $1.79 (any qty) for US

Looks like I'm ordering a couple from LaptopKey.com. Thankfully, I've already been considering going to an external keyboard/monitor setup, so this is more motivation to do it! Happy Holidays, all!

ROG Member Array

Status update...

***** UPDATE *****

The good news:
    The replacement keys from Laptopkey.com arrived today. They are what I ordered, and appear o be in "new" condition. I ordered two LCtrl keys, which each came with a set of hinges, and a new rubber cup to cushion the keypress. The replacement keys are a shade darker than the rest of the keys, but that's something I can live with. The hinges were already attached to the keys, though they must be detached to install.

The bad news:
    Perhaps something as simple as replacing a key is beyond my expertise... because it doesn't work. The hinge and rubber cup design of these keys is so small and fragile, with the tiniest little white plastic locking pins! They're probably 1/4 the size of the tip of a toothpick.

Upon removing the hinge assembly, the rubber cup/cusihion came loose... or tore from the button. It appears to have been sealed into place with a clear plastic template. Once I discovered it was torn lose (and therefore ruined), I tried to remove the rest of the rubber cup, but could not. The plastic did not come loose, either.

I set one of the replacement rubber cups in place, but it was just sitting there loose... which didn't seem right. So I slid the new cup under the plastic template... which KINDA held it in place, though my confidence in it was only about 50%.

In trying to re-install the hinge, I damaged/broke two of the tiny posts, rendering them virtually useless, as they would then be lying loosely under the key (and make the key wiggle loosely during use). The third (and last) one, I was able to attach fairly smoothly by reversing the steps given in the tutorial, and then snap the button back into place.

The problem is:
    1 - the button feels mushy... not "clicky" like the rest of the keys.
    2 - the button actually doesn't even work.

I don't know if I did something wrong during installation, or if I damaged something in trying to do this... but although now there's a new key there, it's still useless.

So now I will continue waiting for the USB keyboard to be delivered, and see about getting the keyboard serviced.

All for a f'ing little key.

ROG Member Array

BTW: here is the link to their instructions and video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2