Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

So then what's everyone's take on the Maximus XI Extreme? This was the board I was looking at when I caught wind of the VRM issue. I won't be buying for a 2 to 3 months so any advice would be appreciated, unless you tell me to buy Gigabyte boards.....then no, just no. Do I wait to see if ASUS responds by dropping their price or do I look at something else and if so what? The X*99 series is a joke, 8700k is good but dated already, Z370 again dated, the 9900k has higher thermals than I like to see, and I'm not an AMD fan when it comes to my personal systems. I feel like i'm screwed for a solutions here.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

My 2 cents (based on 20 years of overclocking, system building, and competitive benching and hands on with a few Z390 boards):

The REAL issue with the Asus VRM setup on in Maximus XI line is/was misleading advertising. Asus has now removed most of the advertising material that claimed the boards were 8 phase (twin 8 phase). But out of the gate it was a bad idea to imply the Maximus XI line had 8 phases. I suspect they did so in order to compete with other brands that actually offered more phases. But no matter the reason, it was a bad idea and looked like purposeful deception.

The secondary issue is that for the price point, a fat 4 phase implementation is not competitive with the other brands. The fat 4 phase actually performs well, but at the ROG high end, it is not competitive with other offerings from say Gigabyte. It appears Asus skimped on the design, offering adequate VRM performance, but not living up to a premium offering ROG is known for. Not good.

However, that all said, this is where the truth needs to be clear. The 4+2 VRM on the Hero/Code/Formula are FAT phases with parallel components. This design FAR exceeds a normal 4+2 setup. With fewer phases to switch on and off, the fat 4 phase does run warmer and less efficient than boards with more phases to share the load. However, the temps on the Maximum line never reach dangerous levels. Heck, I can run my 9900k at 5.1 GHZ AVX consuming 228 watts on my Hero XI for 2 hours and my VRMs never exceed 68c in my case with typical case cooling. 68C is warm, but not alarming. But they are about 10c warmer than competing boards with more phases.

The Extreme board is 5+2. Again these are FAT 5 phases with doubled up components running in parallel. I guarantee you that the VRM on the Extreme will not be a limiting factor. Look around the net at world record overclocks on the 9900k and you will see most are held by the ROG boards.

What Asus SHOULD have done is say outright that they were moving in a different direction with their VRM implementation. There is more to a quality board than the number of phases (yes, I actually dared to say this lol). I've seem some real junk 8 phase boards out there. All else being equal, more phases IS better. But the quality of the components of each phase is also important. Also important to a quality board is PCB design (affects how cool the back of the board runs), memory tracing, a good UEFI, and more. Asus should have just said that they were focusing on other aspects of the board and defended their fat 4 phase instead of being worried about the marketing hype of how many phases the board has.

No doubt Asus save some cost on their design. But I can tell you from hands on experience, the VRMs perform well. Maybe a bit warmer, but it's not a horrific design that should be avoided at all costs. Should it be better for the price point? Yes. But when you look at all the boards and brands, you can see what boards are achieving the best overclocks on both the CPU and the RAM. You can see where Asus design shines. So you need to evaluate the entire offering. In my case, I am not willing to trade the best UEFI, great PCB design, and superior memory overclocking in order to get a board with more VRM phases. Other may make a different decision. And that is ok too. But I would not run away from the Extreme solely on the number of phases issue. The Maximus line VRMs are definitely adequate. They just pale in comparison to some of the competition. But the Maximus XI shines in other ways as well.
    Last edited by mdzcpa; 12-27-2018 at 07:02 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Puffnstuff's Avatar

All I can say is shame on Asus for doing this and its the very first time that I'm going to prefer Gigabyte over Asus for a build.

ROG Junior Member Array Valentin17's Avatar

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by Puffnstuff View Post
    All I can say is shame on Asus for doing this and its the very first time that I'm going to prefer Gigabyte over Asus for a build.

I went down that road myself. The Gigabyte UEFI sucks. I suppose if you never go into the UEFI after your initial set up, it might be just fine. But I like to perpetually tinker and there was just no way. It doesn't even come close. And the RAM OC was poor and didn't allow me to run my RAM at the same speeds as I can on Hero. Don't get me wrong. I completely understand your motives. And if it wasn't for the UEFI and crappy RAM clocks the Hero would have been out permanently. I only suggest you research these areas before plunking down cash on the Gigabyte (a gorgeous board really).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    I went down that road myself. The Gigabyte UEFI sucks. I suppose if you never go into the UEFI after your initial set up, it might be just fine. But I like to perpetually tinker and there was just no way. It doesn't even come close. And the RAM OC was poor and didn't allow me to run my RAM at the same speeds as I can on Hero. Don't get me wrong. I completely understand your motives. And if it wasn't for the UEFI and crappy RAM clocks the Hero would have been out permanently. I only suggest you research these areas before plunking down cash on the Gigabyte (a gorgeous board really).

Their BIOS was always crap...so why would their UEFI be any better.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    The Extreme board is 5+2. Again these are FAT 5 phases with doubled up components running in parallel. I guarantee you that the VRM on the Extreme will not be a limiting factor. Look around the net at world record overclocks on the 9900k and you will see most are held by the ROG boards.
    So if the Extreme is Fat 5 phase 5+2 why are reviewers not covering this board instead of the lower cost Hero?

Anyway, you are SURE 100% about it being Fat 5 phase? If so then I'm less hesitant to buy this board. That being said what's the thought on using the 8700k or the 9900k? Thermals being my concern on air cooling and slight OC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2