cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Auto Fan Curve cannot be altered with any Program (High Temps)

Nascarguy
Level 7
Hello to everyone,
My Asus Turbo GTX 1070 Ti fan speed cannot be modified in anyway. The fan is constantly running at 24% at idle and under full load (stress test) the fan speed only increases to 53% with temperatures of 82% before I stop the test. I have tried using Afterburner and GPUTweak2 to set up manual fan curves, but they get ignored.
If I put the fan speed in manual with the above programs and try to change the speed, it stays at 24%. I bought the computer as a pre-build (ya, I know) and am trying to figure out what was altered and by who to keep the fan speed and curve locked out. There is currently no program to modify the bios of Pascal based Cards that I know of, so I cannot modify it and flash the bios. If anybody has any ideas. Please let me know.

Thanks is advance,
Gary

Intel i7-8700k
MSIz Z370-A Pro motherboard
Asus Turbo GTX 1070 TI Card
24gb Adata XPG Ram 2400Mhz
Windows 10 64bit
10 REPLIES 10

Shvachki
Level 7
Nascarguy wrote:
Hello to everyone,
My Asus Turbo GTX 1070 Ti fan speed cannot be modified in anyway. The fan is constantly running at 24% at idle and under full load (stress test) the fan speed only increases to 53% with temperatures of 82% before I stop the test. I have tried using Afterburner and GPUTweak2 to set up manual fan curves, but they get ignored.
If I put the fan speed in manual with the above programs and try to change the speed, it stays at 24%. I bought the computer as a pre-build (ya, I know) and am trying to figure out what was altered and by who to keep the fan speed and curve locked out. There is currently no program to modify the bios of Pascal based Cards that I know of, so I cannot modify it and flash the bios. If anybody has any ideas. Please let me know.

Thanks is advance,
Gary

Intel i7-8700k
Windows 10 64bit

did you tried EVGA Precision. maybe through this software you get a control over computer fan.

Shvachki wrote:
did you tried EVGA Precision. maybe through this software you get a control over computer fan.

Yes, I have tried Precision also.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Nascarguy wrote:
Hello to everyone,

Thanks is advance,
Gary

Intel i7-8700k
Windows 10 64bit

Hi, can you firstly confirm which version of GPU you have tried?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi, can you firstly confirm which version of GPU you have tried?

I used the latest version of GPUTweak2 Version 416.34

Nascarguy wrote:
I used the latest version of GPUTweak2 Version 416.34

The fact you're unable to modify the fan curve at all is odd, can you try installing a dummy install of Windows 10 on another drive and see if the problem persists?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The fact you're unable to modify the fan curve at all is odd, can you try installing a dummy install of Windows 10 on another drive and see if the problem persists?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I have the means or knowledge to do that. *My conclusion to my problem is that since I bought the computer as a pre-build, the assembling company altered either the gpu or motherboard bios to lock out any manipulation of the fan profile. The purpose of this is that they didn't want people frying the card and then going back to the company for a replacement under that companies warranty. *I have a feeling I would either have to flash the card bios and the motherboard bios to get them back to original settings. That's a big chance I don't want to take. *I guess I'll have to remove the side cover and blow on the GPU every 5 minutes or so. 🙂

Vlada011
Level 10
I can't believe that some company locked GPU Fan on max 53% to protect her from something.
Companies have no right to do that, they could lock pre-build computers and stop customers to add new hardware or replace during warranty period.
But intervention in BIOS is against all rules. Customers have full right to use hardware 100% as manufacturers advertised.

Maybe control die on PCB.

It just occurred to me that I did change the power supply from a cheap no-name 500 watt to an evga supernova G3 750 watt Gold. Could this have affected anything?*

Thomas_extreme_
Level 8
Nascarguy wrote:
Hello to everyone,

Thanks is advance,
Gary

Intel i7-8700k
Windows 10 64bit

Try resetting your pc. **https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026528/windows-reset-or-reinstall-windows-10
Very odd that you cannot control GPU fan. Please reply if this helps or not. 