cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS - Nahimic Service (audio drivers) and clipboard denial of service.

Deus_Maximus
Level 8
So here's my issue.

The Nahimic Service (part of audio drivers) crashes and fills C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp with ~80KB dump files every 5 seconds. It also copies the path of the latest dump file to the clipboard every 5 seconds, rendering the clipboard impossible to use.

I'm running Windows 10 1809, and version 303 of the GL504GS BIOS, with the latest audio drivers from ASUS's support page.

The only fix for this is to stop and disable the Nahimic service. Audio still seems to work after this, so I'm not sure what else that service is doing and what I miss out on by having it disabled.

The files it's dumping is:

PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-yyyy-mm-dd--hh-mm-ss_.dmp

...where yyyy is year, mm is month, dd is day, hh is hour, mm is minutes, and ss is seconds.
6 REPLIES 6

mr_derek
Level 7
Hi!

I've just experienced this problem too - killing the services manually in task manager stops the constant crash dumps, but a better solution would be great! Thanks!

Derek.

incredibleSF
Level 7
Deus Maximus wrote:
So here's my issue.

The Nahimic Service (part of audio drivers) crashes and fills C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp with ~80KB dump files every 5 seconds. It also copies the path of the latest dump file to the clipboard every 5 seconds, rendering the clipboard impossible to use.

I'm running Windows 10 1809, and version 303 of the GL504GS BIOS, with the latest audio drivers from ASUS's support page.

The only fix for this is to stop and disable the Nahimic service. Audio still seems to work after this, so I'm not sure what else that service is doing and what I miss out on by having it disabled.

The files it's dumping is:

PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-yyyy-mm-dd--hh-mm-ss_.dmp

...where yyyy is year, mm is month, dd is day, hh is hour, mm is minutes, and ss is seconds.

Had the same problem too! Copy and paste keep becoming the dump file link..... Mine is GL504GM

mine GL504gm had the same issue too..unable to copy paste text, it created almost 1.5gb dump files, everytime this happened i have to reboot.. ASUS should fix this issue

I signed up to the forum just for this. Think I fixed the issue by uninstalling Sonic Radar and Sonic Studio. I usually got the same problem as you when booting up the system (unless it was a restart): Tons of dump file directories placed in the cliboard and the files themselves taking up space in C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Temp

So I would just uninstall Sonic Radar and Sonic Studio, unless you really need those two softwares right now. And yeah, it was "Nahimic Service" that caused this.¨ I just recently uninstalled them (yesterday), so if the problem comes back I will let you know.

Edit (11-12-2018): I have used the computer every day since I uninstalled SR and SS, and I haven't had the problem since. Before uninstalling, I would get the problem every time I turned the computer on (from shutdown), so it's safe to say that uninstalling SR and SS will solve the problem.

Thanks, BrUSomania - that's helpful to know.

To narrow it down some more - I have Sonic Radar uninstalled (because unless you're profoundly deaf or have genuine problems determining sound location, that software is basically cheating), but not Sonic Studio and the issue persisted - so I guess we can narrow it down to Sonic Studio being the cause.

I've been trying to submit a technical support inquiry with ASUS, but for some reason their webform doesn't like me anymore, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to try explain all of this over the phone to a level 1 support person. No offence to level 1 support, but it's only going to frustrate us both.

If I do manage to get a ticket going, I'll refer support to this thread to show that it's an issue with multiple systems - in fact, now that 1809 has been re-released, I'm willing to bet we'll see more people suffering from it.

Nihck5
Level 7
So after reading this thread i checked my temp folder and found a gb of the same crash dump. I then thought that maybe these crashes were causing my microstutter in game. Turns out it was. When the microstutter presented itself, i alt-tabbed and checked my temp folder and found new crash dumps being created every 5 seconds. I then uninstalled both sonic studio and sonic radar and alt-tabbed back in game. Problem solved, the fps drops stopped. I hope i can just leave those two programs uninstalled. I've noticed if i click the "shortcuts" for them in the Asus gaming center, they still open up?? Following this i checked the windows add or remove programs list and they're back in there. Any way to remove them for good?

Edit: A restart removed them from the gaming center.