cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI and 7940x

Geekslayer
Level 7
Just got the system up and running and right now i'm on a light overclock to (4.0Ghz all cores (AVX as well))... There's
not a lot of information out there on the 7940x, but my hottest core under load is 72c with OCCT or Aida, and all my
other cores are below 69c (about a 13c range between the hottest core and the coolest) core. I just thought I would reach out
and see if this is where I should be temp wise. I do have an AIO Corsair 150i.... Thank you
13 REPLIES 13

Mr__Fox
Level 12
Hey. Congrats on the new build. What you are seeing seems about right with the 150i cooler. You can improve the temps dramatically with a delid and liquid metal between the die and IHS if you haven't already done so. That should also help mitigate the 13°C variance between cores.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
Hey. Congrats on the new build. What you are seeing seems about right with the 150i cooler. You can improve the temps dramatically with a delid and liquid metal between the die and IHS if you haven't already done so. That should also help mitigate the 13°C variance between cores.

I'm not sure I have the nerves of steel to do that, but I have thought about it. My nephew is also building a new setup, but he went with
the 7980xe. He bought a fixture to delid his, so I'll be following that real close when I drive out there this weekend for a visit. My 6950x
has a variance of around 10 degrees as well. thanks for following up.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As above, those temps are well within what one can expect at that frequency and cooling. If not looking to push things further I wouldn't be concerned with delidding. If you planned on going with a custom loop, it may be worth taking that route.

For reference, my non delidded 7940X does 4.7GHz on all cores at 1.28v (AVX -3) with 25c water.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
As above, those temps are well within what one can expect at that frequency and cooling. If not looking to push things further I wouldn't be concerned with delidding. If you planned on going with a custom loop, it may be worth taking that route.

For reference, my non delidded 7940X does 4.7GHz on all cores at 1.28v (AVX -3) with 25c water.

Thanks for the reply, I do like this board, but they're small features that are missing from The Edition 10 I had prior.

1. There are no PCIE_1 temp readings under the fan profiles. On my Edition 10, I would start turning on the fans when this reached 44c
or so. That was the temp when my top video card would reach when starting to game. I know I have sensors that I could add, but
it's another wire in the case.

2. I love the real-time readout display, that's genius. I know you can change the size of the font with their software, but you can only
choose one feature to monitor.. Couldn't they cyclesbetween vcore, cpu temp, frequency, etc....???

3. These boards are so effortless, you say "board do this", and the boards says "ok" and then does it. Overclocking with other boards is like
trying to make gasoline out of miracle whip.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:

That Rampage VI EK monoblock I have must be a bad performer since I have 2X Cores @ 4.7Ghz 1.22v, 3 X Cores @ 4.6 Ghz 1.19V and the rest at 4.2Ghz at 1.18V and my temps are not great at all (AVX512 -8 and some cores hitting 95C on Prime95).

I can push the cores higher and add more voltage and they work fine but not all together because the temps are bad under stress.

I have an externa MO-RA3 (it's like 3X 420 RADs ) with 9X Corsair ML140 Pros and Dual EK D5 PWM pumps...along with great airflow in the case. Everything is dead cool (VRMs never above 48-50C) GPU 1080Ti never above 38C (water) even highly overclocked but the damn monoblock is not doing a good job.

I am going to delid, scarp the Monoblock, get a separate VRM block, CPU Block and go direct die...damn I am pissed with the monoblock.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
That Rampage VI EK monoblock I have must be a bad performer since I have 2X Cores @ 4.7Ghz 1.22v, 3 X Cores @ 4.6 Ghz 1.19V and the rest at 4.2Ghz at 1.18V and my temps are not great at all (AVX512 -8 and some cores hitting 95C on Prime95).

I can push the cores higher and add more voltage and they work fine but not all together because the temps are bad under stress.

I have an externa MO-RA3 (it's like 3X 420 RADs ) with 9X Corsair ML140 Pros and Dual EK D5 PWM pumps...along with great airflow in the case. Everything is dead cool (VRMs never above 48-50C) GPU 1080Ti never above 38C (water) even highly overclocked but the damn monoblock is not doing a good job.

I am going to delid, scarp the Monoblock, get a separate VRM block, CPU Block and go direct die...damn I am pissed with the monoblock.

You have heck of a setup, don't give up !!!!

I just ran Prime 95 using the default test, and to be honest my temps are about 7c higher than OCCT or Aida. I ran the test for about 5 mins after AVX kicked in and was pulling around 270 watts (per Core Temp). My radiator fans were at 100%. I think my temps are somewhat ok, but my longevity will not be as long as yours. I don't like running prime95 anyway, hang in there.

btw... i usually turn on c-states (Not Auto) in the BIOS and use the performance profile in Windows power settings.

Abaidor
Level 9
Hehe I won't give up but I am putting together an upgrade box for this build and it includes:

-Delid tool
-Debrauer Direct Die frame
-Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal
-Liquid Electrical Tape
-A new CPU Block (Will also get the chance to test an EK Velocity)
-A VRM Block
-Hard Tubing & Fittings (only to be installed I'am done with overclocking)
-Phanteks LED Strips
-An extra addressable RGB Hub
-2X Phanteks Halos Digital Lux
-Cable Mod Vertical GPU mount
-Several lazer cut plexiglass & metal pieces for case interior decoration (maybe a bottom louminus plate)

I am not in a hurry and of course I am doint this for fun so I take my time to plan it out and gather the parts. But all in all, as I am eating through the i9-7940X warranty period the closer I am getting to deliding it since at the beginning I wanted maintain it for some time just in case I messed up something with the new platform.

All in all, I am determined to explore the performance limits of this setup as long as it is not in risk of degradation due to high tems or extreme amperage. It is already performing great for me and has assisted my productivity tremendously even though I initially thought that I would not need the 14 cores. As long as you have them and realize that you have CPU power to spare you just increase your workloads and multitasking and this is what I do..I used to work with 8GB of RAM and now I hit over 32GB of ram usage several times a day. God bless Adobe for this....(pun intended)
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

EaglePC
Level 10
i have downgrade to 7900x my 7940 was bad temps were in 50c idle here is my coretemp now with your same cooler
Asus Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7940X / Corsair H115i Pro / CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3000MHz / EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE GAMING BLACK Edition / 2x Samsung 970 Pro NMVe 1GB / 4x Samsung 850 PRO - 2TB / Asus ROG Swift PG348Q / Corsair AX 1500i / Thermaltake View 71 RGB PC Case /Win 10 PRO x64

EaglePC wrote:
i have downgrade to 7900x my 7940 was bad temps were in 50c idle here is my coretemp now with your same cooler

oohhh that's too bad, could you exchange it for another or is it under warranty ?