cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover The Benefits Of Fan Xpert+

X-ROG
Level 15
Word of mouth about installing bundled software might have used to say it's a thing to avoid, and we'll admit, it doesn't have the best history of value-add, however, ASUS is seriously attempting to buck the trend. If you've not at least tried the latest edition of AI Suite II yet, please do, and see if it changes your mind.

Within the suite there are several modules that do different functions. The module we'll be guiding you through in this guide is Fan Xpert+; a complete, system-wide tool for customizing your fan control. It basically means you can throw out your 5.25in fan controller, as the software allows you to not only calibrate, but customize the performance:noise ratio of your entire case fan setup. We'll be using the Maximus IV GENE-Z in the guide, but it also applies to the Maximus IV Extreme, Extreme-Z, GENE-Z/Gen3 and entire Rampage IV series as well.

Using Fan Xpert+
OK the basics. Download and install the version of AI Suite II with the latest Fan Xpert. Here I'm using 1.01.01.

NOTE: You can mix and match AI Suite II versions - the software will auto-detect the components and only update the latest version if you choose it.

NOTE: AI Suite II for ROG motherboards is DIFFERENT to standard P8/P9 series motherboards. It includes an upgraded DIGI+ VRM control module specifically for the Extreme Engine II, so you should source the AI Suite II file from your motherboards product page. If you really don't need some of the modules, deselect them to save a bit of disk space.

After rebooting, open AI Suite II and you'll be presented with this slim bar:

Click Tools and Select Fan Xpert. This will load the main screen:

You can select a specific fan from the Fan Name drop-down menu, and one of the pre-settings from the Setting menu to its right. On the right-hand side is the Fan Xpert and Settings tab. First select the Fan Xpert tab and click Test. This will calibrate your fan according to its specific parameters.

NOTE: With Fan Xpert and Fan Xpert+, calibration currently only works with 4-pin PWM fans currently, however with the upcoming Fan Xpert II this will enable the use of 3-pin fans as well. Even if you don't do calibration, you can still take advantage of the custom fan settings.

Select User from the Setting menu and you'll get the ability to customize the fan speed-to-temperature scaling curve:

The yellow dot represents my current setting, which as you can see is running at full throttle to generate a chilly 22ºC. Obviously for home use that's generating excessive noise for the given idle temp, so we can customize the curve to slow it down at lower temperatures to cut the noise, then gradually rising as the temp does:

Click apply and tweak all your fans, then test it out with some gaming or benchmarks to measure the temperature rise versus noise using the sensor recorder module of AI Suite II:

17 REPLIES 17

HiVizMan
Level 40
Is this version suitable for all ASUS products or only the RIVE? I am thinking it has to be platform specific, and not really keen to try to install on my test OS's for the other boards. 🙂

If so when will the latest versions of AIsuite2 be on the other motherboard product support pages.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I'm with HiVizMan here, I have a Crosshair IV Formula that is less than 5 months old and nothing new for the Ai Suite has ever been posted nor do any of the Ai Suite II stuff work on it (why do this for the Extreme and not the Formula and you can't even buy the Extreme anymore). The old Fan expert is pretty much useless. I have to use 3rd Party Stuff to do most of what Ai Suite 1 should do so YES I'm waiting for you folks to do something. Please don't try to tell me that Ai SuiteII only works on the Crosshair V's because you have it for the Crosshair IV Extreme on the Drivers Site.

Idonno
Level 10
Same here, I have a Rampage III Formula. The only version Asus has posted in my motherboards download section is the original version (1.00.27) from 2010. This version has always had issues with sensor (v1.00.04) in that as long as it is left checked in settings, I get huge latency spikes and I'm not alone. As far as I know it's the same for everyone.

I'm sorely in need of an update and this article seems to suggest that I can update to the latest version, However when I click on your update-link the page that it opens is the support/download page specific to the Rampage IV Extreme.

On the support/download page specific to my motherboard (the Rampage III Formula) there has never been an update, so I guess what I'm asking is can I download and install the latest one from your link (the Rampage IV Extreme) on my Rampage III Formula?
Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

X-ROG
Level 15
Ignore the downloads page for your own motherboard entirely (the AI Suite on R4G page for example is entirely broken). I am using a Maximus IV GENE-Z and used a combination of AI Suite II from EVERY Rampage board. Right now I am still fighting to get our own download pages on ROG with latest versions of all the software people can try.

I know AI Suite works across all P67/Z68/X79 boards. Not sure about X58 or AMD depending on which sensor it uses.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
I know AI Suite works across all P67/Z68/X79 boards. Not sure about X58 or AMD depending on which sensor it uses.

OK, well I guess I'll back every thing up and give it a try on an X58 then and post back, unless anyone here knows first hand that I shouldn't.
Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

Retired
Not applicable
I love it, is all that i need, and thumbs up for the temp/sensor/cables in some of the boards...............GREAT

In bios fan's can be tuned, to fit my purpose 100%

Remote fan controller??, never

Idonno
Level 10
Well I tried it and here's my findings. First it's important to note that my MB (Rampage III Formula) came with "AI Suite II" Version 1.00.27 whereas a lot of X58 MB's (Rampage III Extreme included) came with the original "AI Suite" so I was just doing a version upgrade not a complete program upgrade. Even then most stuff did not work.

What did work with the newer version (v1.02.120) I downloaded from the Rampage IV Extreme support/download page was PC Probe II and USB 3.0 Boost. Most utilities did not. The newer version of Probe II was no better than the one I had been using. It still caused high latency spikes.

So with the same install .EXE I deleted everything except USB 3.0 Boost and then reinstalled AI Suite II from my motherboard's installation CD. The nice thing that did happen is after all of my original AI Suite II utility's reinstalled I opened the program back up and found I still had the skin and look of the new version which is quite a bit nicer.

Well anyway those are my findings. Not much of a gain but, not a total loss either. :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks for the feedback Idonno
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

scarar
Level 7
I'm having a problem with Fan Xpert, I'm getting Invalid class string, ProgID: "AsusFanControlService.FanControlManager" Then when I click Fan Xpert it gives this Errer: Assertion Failed: IsBound(), file C:\Builds\TP\emuvcl\utilcls.h, line 3606

I tried uninstalling but the services for ASUS fan control are still there and I don't know how to delete the files in the registery or anywhere else to stop the services from running on my computer. If anyone can help please let me know, I'm using the version from my DVD mobo driver for Rampage IV Extreme using Bios 1201