cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 x 16GB memory recommendation

mindsignals
Level 9
I am upgrading my memory for a 5960x on the Rampage V Extreme and moving the old Ripjaws 4 x 8 GB DDR4-2666 memory to a different motherboard from another manufacturer (AsRock OC).

Looking for recommendations on what 4 x 16 GB memory tends to have a high degree of compatibility on the Rampage V Extreme, preferably in the $500s.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you tried overclocking the memory that you have? It might help give you some idea of the strength of your CPU's IMC...which might help you with choosing the next kit...

There is obviously the QVL to check through...I'd stick with G.Skill and maybe browse their RAM configurator to see what they qualified with that MB

https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=2276&model=2293

Korth
Level 14
The motherboard's QVL-certified memory will often be the safest bet and least hassle. You can sometimes do better but ASUS has already tested almost every kit and part number available.

I've discovered that G.Skill sometimes changes their kits without changing the part number. I still have 4x8GB DDR4-3000 kits (from early 2014) which use Hynix silicon and generally outperform 4x8GB DDR4-3000 kits (from mid 2015 onwards) which have exactly the same Ripjaws4 part number but use Samsung silicon. I also have newer same-kit-same-part-number Samsung parts which generally outperform older Hynix parts. Just trying to say that it's sometimes hard to know all the specifics without digging through tons of reviews/etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Corsair or other-branded memory sometimes does the same thing (in fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't).

Arne hit the nail on the head - the biggest bottleneck for upper-end RAM performance is usually the CPU part. If you've got a strong piece of silicon then you can run faster DDR4 ... if you've got a lemon then you can't. X99 mobos can usually run 4 DIMMs with an "average" CPU at up to -3000(ish) or -3300(ish) at most anyhow, not really worth paying the premium for faster-rated stuff unless you plan to re-use it in other platforms.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

mindsignals
Level 9
I purchased the Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 4 x 16GB 3000MHz memory. I have the o/c set to 3000 on manual with 100 cpu strap (I couldn't get 125 booting), but under cpu-z, it indicates memory speed of 1066.5 with FSB:DRAM 1:16. Does that mean it is only running at 2133 MHz? It is manually set to 15-17-17-35-2T with everything else auto. I bumped system agent up very slightly and have memory at 1.35v. CPU is oc'ed at 4200 (which is my usual) at 1.25v.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It does sound like it is running at default speed.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Select the XMP profile and have a quick look in OS using CPUz what the frequency is please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mindsignals
Level 9
I haven't been able to get it to boot in XMP as that sets the 125 cpu strap. I've had no sucess yet with that profile.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you tried stetting XMP and then changing strap to 100 and adjusting to 3000...i.e. use all settings but tailor the profile a bit...then maybe try a bit more DRAM voltage 1.36...1.37 and maybe a bit more VCCSA depending on what the board sets...( sometimes a bit less if XMP sets it high)

mindsignals
Level 9
Nope, I can try that...I didn't realize we should use that profile, but then change the strap back. I'll give that a try. VCCSA was only being set to about 0.88. I have it at around 0.91 now...at 0.93 and higher, it was coding b4. At 0.88 it was either bd or b7 (I don't recall which).

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not a case of "should"...just a way of getting all the xmp timings/voltages set etc. while you take over the strap...

If XMP is setting less than 1.0v for vccsa you should try 1.1...1.15...1.2v