cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ASUS Xonar DGX going to reign supreme for all eternity?

MonarchX
Level 7
As someone who is not big on audio, but as someone who does want something better than built-in onboard stuff, ASUS Xonar DGX seems like the one and only choice. It's cheap and its UNi Xonar drivers allow for exceptionally low latencies when it comes to drivers, even though they are old... Is this how it's going to stay? I want an upgrade, but to what? Creative is out of the question - driver latencies on it are horrid...
3 REPLIES 3

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Onboard audio has come a long way, especially with what you get on your Maximus X Hero. The sound you have now can rival some dedicated sound cards from yesteryear, and the software makes the audio more suitable for gaming. Take into consideration the amount of shielding you need to avoid interference when dedicated sound cards are placed right next to high-powered graphics cards. Also, keep in mind that if your headset or speakers aren't capable of reproducing that extra clarity, the extra money isn't well-spent. The amount of money you need to invest in order to obtain that level of sound quality is really quite substantial.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Onboard audio has come a long way, especially with what you get on your Maximus X Hero. The sound you have now can rival some dedicated sound cards from yesteryear, and the software makes the audio more suitable for gaming. Take into consideration the amount of shielding you need to avoid interference when dedicated sound cards are placed right next to high-powered graphics cards. Also, keep in mind that if your headset or speakers aren't capable of reproducing that extra clarity, the extra money isn't well-spent. The amount of money you need to invest in order to obtain that level of sound quality is really quite substantial.

I hear and compared all news realtek codecs from alc 662 to 1220(from low cost motherboards to prety expensive),and all cant stand againts c-media codecs which is on asus xonar cards and other manufacturers.

Realtek so called qualty and hd audio is only on paper.
Why Asus still packing crappy and basic nahimic audio enhancer(aka Sonic Studio 3) with xonar/strix cards with which many users have problems,when C-Media have full featured Xear Audio software?

Korth
Level 14
Creative vs ASUS is the "eternal" battle, it's a bit of a cold-war sort of arms race but they constantly seem to leapfrog each other for top spot.

In terms of raw specs, anyhow. Not necessarily in terms of actual audio performance. How they compare I just don't know, except that I'd expect that since they're both big brands they're competitive enough that they basically price themselves so you'll get exactly what you pay for.

I won't pretend to be an audiophile but I am someone somewhat "big" on audio. Just not big on audio cards. External DAC/AMP sound devices are the only smart way to go if audio quality is what matters. Fancier specs don't make any real difference in real playback unless maybe you're some sort of professional audio engineer/musician type. The electrically noisy guts of a PC are really an awful place to put audio hardware, no wonder it needs to overcompensate on selling spec. And even the prices are comparable, but at least an external audio device is a nifty self-contained gizmo you can easily "install" into any machine and any OS which has a USB port - it's even lighter on hardware/software resources, USB enumeration uses less bandwidth and memory and CPU cycles than PCIe lanes.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]