cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Management Engine necessar under Windows?

leader_desslock
Level 7
Hi

I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803. *I downloaded drivers from Asus website, Intel and Nvidia and installed them. *I made a point not to use the Asus DVD. *I noticed that the dvd had the Intel Management Engine which i did not install. *I believe that I downloaded the latest version from Intel. *Do i need to install it?

Thanks
leaderdesslock *
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate you do not need it. If you ever plan on using remote access to your system then you will need to install it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Mate you do not need it. If you ever plan on using remote access to your system then you will need to install it.

Thanks

leaderdesslock

Mr__Fox
Level 12
You will have a malfunctioning entry in Device Manager without drivers, but Windows will work fine without it.

As an alternative, you can get the INF-only (not AMT software) drivers from the WIN-Raid forums and install using the "have disk" method in Device Manager and that will fix the problem device without drivers if that bugs you.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox wrote:
You will have a malfunctioning entry in Device Manager without drivers, but Windows will work fine without it.

As an alternative, you can get the INF-only (not AMT software) drivers from the WIN-Raid forums and install using the "have disk" method in Device Manager and that will fix the problem device without drivers if that bugs you.

I installed all the drivers. I especially installed the Intel driver.

Korth
Level 14
Leaving IME uninstalled can actually secure the machine vs IME attacks/vulnerabilities. At least in theory.

More importantly, leaving it uninstalled means less junk running in memory and consuming CPU cycles, more lightweight performance, less sluggish bloat, fewer things that can go faulty and buggy and crashy. Let WinOS complain about a missing driver, ignore that annoying little yellow caution icon, it doesn't mean anything important.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Dear leader.desslock

We'd just like to point out that IME is a valued part of any system. It allows various things to happen seamlessly on your PC such as stuff and whatsits. It is therefore generally advisable to install it to g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶ ̶2̶4̶/̶7̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ give yourself peace of mind.

The main component of Management Engine interface, ME performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the PC. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of PC. Which ...errr....means...err...well, look here now...if you don't install it well, it might...err.....not....yeah, it might not. and you don't want it to not.

It's probably not advisable to ask these questions and to spend time viewing your favourite reality TV programming.

All the best.

Us

arne saknussemm wrote:
dear leader.desslock

we'd just like to point out that ime is a valued part of any system. It allows various things to happen seamlessly on your pc such as stuff and whatsits. It is therefore generally advisable to install it to g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶ ̶2̶4̶/̶7̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ give yourself peace of mind.

The main component of management engine interface, me performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the pc. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of pc. Which ...errr....means...err...well, look here now...if you don't install it well, it might...err.....not....yeah, it might not. And you don't want it to not.

It's probably not advisable to ask these questions and to spend time viewing your favourite reality tv programming.

All the best.

Us

awesome !
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Classic Arne.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.