cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Stuttering when monitoring stats Crosshair VII X470

Gigabyte928
Level 7
Hi all

I’ve been suffering from stuttering since I upgraded to a Ryzen 2700X with a Crosshair VII since launch. Typically it is most noticeable in games however it also appears when scrolling with Firefox, opening the start menu, navigating the UI and so on. It can happen at any time though it greatly increases in intensity when a monitoring application is open.

If I open MSI Afterburner, Hwinfo, Hwmonitor or others the computer will stutter significantly. It’s a bit like mini freezes or lockup for a second. The computer is usable, but these stutters make using the PC unpleasant and more like a budget laptop than a high end desktop. Commonly it is advised to disable Asus EC monitoring however the stutter continues even when I do this.

If I close the monitoring application the stutter improves though not greatly until I reboot. It’s frustrating since the system stutters slightly even when such tools are not open, could this be related?

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? Is this common of the crosshair, might I have a faulty board, am I doing something wrong etc?

Since having this board I have changed the RAM, PSU, GPU, storage, peripherals and more as part of gradual upgrades but they made no impact to the stutter behaviour.

Temperatures are perfectly fine, reinstalled Windows many times, reset BIOs, updated to 1102, latest version of monitoring tools, passes hours of CPU/memory stress tests, tried RAM at 2133MHz and so on.

My specs

Ryzen 2700X (tried stock and overclocked)
Corsair 32GB 3200MHz CL16 (also tried at 2133MHz)
Asus Crosshair VII X470 motherboard
Asus strix 1080ti
Samsung 970 512GB PRO, Samsung 860 1TB EVO, Western Digital 2TB
EVGA G2 750W PSU

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

gupsterg
Level 13
Hwmonitor I wouldn't use with Ryzen/Threadripper.

Not had any issues with HWINFO/AIDA64/CPU-Z and in apps where it can be toggled access to ASUS EC, I keep it enabled.

Don't think the board is faulty, perhaps an OS. Curious if you enable HPET using BCDEDIT is issue worse/better?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Hurricane28
Level 10
Many factors can cause this issue.

In my case it was the EC sensor but now i don't have any problems anymore fortunately.

What you can do is run sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator and see if there is any windows corruption, i had this before and the scan tool solved it.

If that doesn't work you can try to do an hard reset on your motherboard which is shut down the system, press the reset button for a couple of seconds, unplug the power cord from the psu and pull the BIOS battery, than press the power on button on your case for like 10 seconds and let go, put the battery back in power cord as well and you should have no EC issues so that's ruled out.

Don't save the oc profile and load it after the reset because it can set something back which causes the behavior again, just keep it stock or dial manual oc.

If that doen't help it can be an GEforce driver issue, had this before. Also what Gupsterg said can help. You simply have to rule out some things first.

bigtop1967
Level 9
Gigabyte928 wrote:
Hi all

I’ve been suffering from stuttering since I upgraded to a Ryzen 2700X with a Crosshair VII since launch. Typically it is most noticeable in games however it also appears when scrolling with Firefox, opening the start menu, navigating the UI and so on. It can happen at any time though it greatly increases in intensity when a monitoring application is open.

If I open MSI Afterburner, Hwinfo, Hwmonitor or others the computer will stutter significantly. It’s a bit like mini freezes or lockup for a second. The computer is usable, but these stutters make using the PC unpleasant and more like a budget laptop than a high end desktop. Commonly it is advised to disable Asus EC monitoring however the stutter continues even when I do this.

If I close the monitoring application the stutter improves though not greatly until I reboot. It’s frustrating since the system stutters slightly even when such tools are not open, could this be related?

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? Is this common of the crosshair, might I have a faulty board, am I doing something wrong etc?

Since having this board I have changed the RAM, PSU, GPU, storage, peripherals and more as part of gradual upgrades but they made no impact to the stutter behaviour.

Temperatures are perfectly fine, reinstalled Windows many times, reset BIOs, updated to 1102, latest version of monitoring tools, passes hours of CPU/memory stress tests, tried RAM at 2133MHz and so on.

My specs

Ryzen 2700X (tried stock and overclocked)
Corsair 32GB 3200MHz CL16 (also tried at 2133MHz)
Asus Crosshair VII X470 motherboard
Asus strix 1080ti
Samsung 970 512GB PRO, Samsung 860 1TB EVO, Western Digital 2TB
EVGA G2 750W PSU

Thank you

Ditto to what gupsterg says. Also I note you're using bios 1102. Do you mean 1002? I don't think there was an 1102 but 1101 yes. All verions 11xx were removed from ASUS site as problems were reported, so just make sure you're on 1002. If in doubt, only use one monitoring program at a time, but the ones gupsterg lists work fine as they've all been updated to access the chip in the right way.
About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal