cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 Clock fluctuation on idle

chekri_sc
Level 7
Hello,

The core and memory clock on my GTX 1080 keeps fluctuating on idle. There are no processes running in the back ground. The fans on the GPU also keeps turning ON and OFF. Has any one faced this issue. I have attached a screen shot of the clock.

Thanks for your help. If this is not the right place please let me know where to post.
Sai.

28 REPLIES 28

Nate152
Hi chekri.sc

Welcome to the ROG forum !

First, open the Nvidia Control Panel, manage 3d settings and set Power Management to optimal power, then restart your pc and check to see if your GTX 1080 is throttling down.

If that didn't help.....

Try uninstalling your current version of GPU Tweak II and reinstalling the Nvidia driver, run CCleaner after uninstalling GPU Tweak II to clean the registry then install GPU Tweak II version 1.8.3.5.

Scroll down to the first .zip file in white.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103504-GPU-Tweak-II-Beta-Testing-Program

Install Nvidia driver 416.81

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/139606/en-us

After the license agreement, select custom/advanced install, uncheck the 3d vision driver and the HD audio drivers, then check the box that says perform a clean installation.

How is your GTX 1080 after doing this ?

kevin_bradford1
Level 9
Hi

I have been having the exact same issue on first boot up, the gpu clocks don't idle the only cure is a restart of the system

I have uninstalled and cleaned restarted with nvidia drivers and gpu tweak and this hasn't solved it, ive tried different versions of both software still the same issue, always on a cold first time boot, im using the new formula xi if that helps im also using gpu tweak 1.6.7.0 and latest nvidia driver.

chekri.sc wrote:
Hello,

The core and memory clock on my GTX 1080 keeps fluctuating on idle. There are no processes running in the back ground. The fans on the GPU also keeps turning ON and OFF. Has any one faced this issue. I have attached a screen shot of the clock.

Thanks for your help. If this is not the right place please let me know where to post.
Sai.

kevin.bradford1 wrote:
Hi

I have been having the exact same issue on first boot up, the gpu clocks don't idle the only cure is a restart of the system

I have uninstalled and cleaned restarted with nvidia drivers and gpu tweak and this hasn't solved it, ive tried different versions of both software still the same issue, always on a cold first time boot, im using the new formula xi if that helps im also using gpu tweak 1.6.7.0 and latest nvidia driver.

If either of you have a high refresh rate monitor (120Hz or higher) see if temporarily manually setting the refresh rate to 60Hz allows the GPU to correctly idle down to 135Mhz when there is no GPU load. I've noticed this issue is worse on Windows 10 than Windows 7 and something about the newer NVIDIA drivers does something odd to cause this when the refresh rate is high (like we all prefer it to be).

I do not use GPU Tweak and do not have it installed, so I would not blame GPU Tweak for this.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Nate152
Hi kevin.bradford1

Have you tried GPU Tweak version 1.8.3.5 as listed above ?

kevin_bradford1
Level 9
Hi Nate

Yes I tried that previously and still get the same issue I re installed 1.6.7.0 last night

Nate152
All right

If you have Geforce Experience installed, try uninstalling it and see if this brings the clock speed down at idle.

kevin_bradford1
Level 9
ok ill give this a try and get back to you,

As several restarts done as I have switched back to 1.8.3.5 and every restart they down clock its always on that initial first time cold boot up.

kevin_bradford1
Level 9

Did a restart and it happened so I have attached it so you can see what the clocks are doing
Ill give the GeForce thing a try

kevin_bradford1
Level 9
Hi Nate

Uninstalled GeForce experience, shutdown and rebooted clocks stay the same on startup