cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel vs amd end of 2018 what is tha best ?

amalkumar
Level 7
Intel vs amd end of 2018 what is tha best ?

Intel price down
9 REPLIES 9

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
To answer that fairly and objectively, you'd need to specify what you'd be using the machine for.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
To answer that fairly and objectively, you'd need to specify what you'd be using the machine for.

Ryzen 1700

Ram 32GB 3000MHz

GTX 1070

Video Editing

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:

At these prices, doesn't matter. AMD seems to be the right choice from a consumer perspective.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you are planning to upgrade then I would stick with AMD for video editing.

Some of those Threadrippers look very tempting at the minute. Prices going down you say?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

gupsterg
Level 13
amalkumar

If prices were the same between say 8C/16T Ryzen/Intel offerings, I'd say Intel. You have bigger choice on boards as well. The platforms are more developed. An aspect was touched on by The Stilt only recently in a OCN thread, see linked post. Only aspect then left would be so far AMD support their sockets longer.

When current pricing is taken into account I do believe AMD take the crown. I have enjoyed my C6H thoroughly for the aspect I've just dropped a 2nd gen Ryzen in without any issues, hoping to use gen 3 as well with it. I found only 2 aspects which it lacked vs C7H which did not hold me back on OC'ing it 😉 .

P95 v28.10B1 averaged ~4.13GHz on 8K 4096K 28GB setup on air cooler.

P95 v29.4b8 uses a differing instruction set, draws slightly less power (wall meter), averages ever so slightly higher. I can see peaks of upto 4.45GHz in other loads/tests.

The RAM is not highly tuned IMO, nor OS and no Performance Bias tweaks in UEFI, not too shabby IMO.

Will be interesting to see what happens to boost when set this same HW/settings up under water.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

HiVizMan
Level 40
Very nice reply gupsterg have repped you mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Highly subjective question that has been asked a hundred million times over the past 30 years with just as many different answers. Ive been on both sides and the true answer is....drum roll.....neither. Its all about timing and where your new build falls in with the leap frog. AMD spent many years in Intels shadow and only in the last few years become more competitive in the performance arena with the introduction if ryzen. AMD is a much cheaper platform to build. Put the top against the top with the 7980XE vs the 2990WX they are nearly identical in every aspect with the 2990 getting better multi core speeds but losing out in other areas. The two are nearly spot on rivals including the price being within a few % and varying depending on where you get it. Back ti off a bit to a 7900X vs a 2700x and the Intel is a good 20% on top wiith a much larger price tag to boot. Of course this is current and will not be shortly when Intel's refresh hits.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

HiVizMan wrote:
Very nice reply gupsterg have repped you mate.

Thanks 🙂 .

I'm enjoying Ryzen/AMD TBH, been on Intel since Q6600 release, prior that AMD.

JustinThyme wrote:
Highly subjective question that has been asked a hundred million times over the past 30 years with just as many different answers. Ive been on both sides and the true answer is....drum roll.....neither. Its all about timing and where your new build falls in with the leap frog.

+1.

As stated above prior to Q6600, AMD Athlon was it for me. Fitting into what I thought was right at the time. As I have no real loyalty to xyz but wanted best for my money at the time of Q6600 release it was that. From then on AMD had nothing that captivated me to purchase from them on CPU side, until Ryzen.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Vlada011
Level 10
Intel is better if core vs core and single threaded performance.

Depend how much you can pay because Intel really not worth as much they ask.
But if you want mixed from both world, nice single threaded performance but not much slower in multi thread than i9-9820X will be best choice.
Only if someone can afford him. He can't be in danger from AMD side with Ryzen or his successors and have so nice single threaded performance.
To beat him you will need to enter in Threadripper world 1950X or Threadripper 2 but again single threaded performance will be poor compare to i9-9820X.
Only he should be worth max 600, not 850 as Intel want to charge him, but it's really best option last 2-3 years.

I expect performance of i7-6950X on LN2 overclocked from him. 😄

I mean it's not fair to sell kidney for him, better to jump on car on street and sue driver, or gave up if he buy me i9-9820X.