cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having some issues with a OC

Jsimmons
Level 7
Hey guys I’m new to overclocking and I’m looking for some answers or Advice. I upgraded my computer over the weekend and the specs are as follows

Asus z390 Maximus hero xi (With the latest Bios update)
Cooler master ml240l aio cooler
16 gb Gskill at 3200mhz (xmp 1 enabled)
Nvidia gtx 760 (still needs upgrading)
850w gold psu
2x Samsung 970 Evo nvme in bootable raid 0
And three random hard drives out of older computers

So I’m beginning to overclock and I followed der8auers guide to a t. Trying for 5ghz

https://youtu.be/95Ujni7-fVM

at idle I’m seeing 1.27v on cpu core Voltage (set at 1.29v in bios) During the CPu stress test I’m seeing 1.199v (llc lvl6 of 8.)If I bring the LLC up to level 7, I see 1.24xv under the stress test But temperatures start to climb rapidly and get above 90c and it shuts down/crashes. The only time I’ve seen any crashes at llc lvl6 was when I was messing with other things while the test was running. For instance I accidentally closed CPU-z And I tried to re-opened it and it froze up. The other time I had a crash I was messing around in the ASUS ai
Suite again while running the test.

So is that voltage drop normal? I ran the test for 30 minutes without a crash at llc6. , my CPU package power was around 190 Watts. The max temperature I saw was 86C on one or two Cores but the rest were a few degrees lower. VRM temps were under 70 C..

Update from yesterday’s tests below

It would seem I’m hitting some sort of throttling during the prime95 stress test.. I’m seeing the core clock speeds randomly drop to 4600 in cpu-z for a split second.. it randomly does it across all cores but not all cores at the same time. Hardware monitor isn’t showing any throttling but is registering the clock speed drops.. temps show 79-85c during the test. Cpu package power at 185.. anyone have any ideas?

here is a quick video of the issue im having. This is while running prime95 and with svid disabled. all power options maxed out, windows power options set to performance..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFWn3x2NNA&feature=youtu.be
44 REPLIES 44

nickolp1974
Level 10
which version of prime are you running? and have you increased power limits in bios?
i9 9900K, ROG Gene XI, G.Skill 4266 and one big bucket!

26.6 of prime And yes power limits were set to max

I should also note that it does this at idle as well as under load

nickolp1974
Level 10
What's your power option set to in Windows?

I have it set to high performance. I’ve checked and googled for all the common problems *related to clock speed drops *and can’t seem to figure out what’s causing it..

Have you changed any of the temp limit options?
The above is all I change apart from mem settings and that gets me stable at 5.2mhz, 1.4v

*No I haven’t. *I don’t know what safe values are to put in there or what settings to even mess with for that. Like I said I’m brand new to overclocking

Hold on, cpu package power 190w?? That's a lot, will have to check but I thought non AVX were less than 150w, could be wrong mind, not something I take much notice of.

nickolp1974 wrote:
Hold on, cpu package power 190w?? That's a lot, will have to check but I thought non AVX were less than 150w, could be wrong mind, not something I take much notice of.

The video I posted on my first post is running about the same amount. He was at 185 and that’s generally what I see