cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with G703GI FN + F5 not working as usual

AngelOfDeath108
Level 7
Greetings all!

Just needed some assistance in regards to the functionality of one key of my keyboard.

I'm using a ASUS ROG G703GI Gaming laptop.

Every single other button on the keyboard works as expected, including f5.
The function button works for all other related functions, the other F buttons work as expected, there's no issue with the button itself.

When I open up the ROG gaming centre, the fan overboost setting changes as expected when prompted by clicking the option, everything seems to run fine.
This button was also working previously.

One day I simply attempted to press it and it wouldn't automatically adjust the setting on it's own.

I've looked up many possible fixes via the internet for enabling/disabling the function key, the f5 button, etc. But since it's related to only one button, in particular, I figured I'd post here in the hopes someone may have a possible solution.

I know it's a very minor issue, but just hoping to keep the keyboard running as smoothly as possible without hindrance.

Regards.
Ryan.

If screenshots of any settings will assist please feel free to ask.
18 REPLIES 18

evezy123
Level 7
I have the same issue, and i dont think that we are the only ones to come across this issue. i have not found any solutions yet. i even sent my laptop for rma and still came back with F5 not working

evezy123
Level 7
Anyone with a fix for this issue?

Gps3dx
Level 12
FN+F5 is screen brightness down or another function ( what ?) ?

anywho - reinstall ATK driver or get latest one / prior to that etc....
also, open device manager and make sure you've got drivers installed to all devices.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

evezy123
Level 7
on the G703GI the f5 key is for overboost fan settings. i have tried uninstalling all drivers and reinstalling them but nothing has worked. i have even done a factory reset but this still has had no effect.

evezy123 wrote:
on the G703GI the f5 key is for overboost fan settings. i have tried uninstalling all drivers and reinstalling them but nothing has worked. i have even done a factory reset but this still has had no effect.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys getting the screen notification of the change or no? Have you also updated your Bios by chance?

I ask because I have read about strange issues after Bios updates. I haven't done mine yet in fear that something may break.

(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are you guys getting the screen notification of the change or no? Have you also updated your Bios by chance?

I ask because I have read about strange issues after Bios updates. I haven't done mine yet in fear that something may break.

Our G703VI model has a totally different scenario. They have silent, balanced and boost mode, we have auto and overboost. *I updated my G703VI BIOS. No problem so far but no improvement as well at the fan profiles.

evezy123 wrote:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

Thank you all of you for your responses.

From looking online I also found the "Check APK file option" and tried it. I didn't find it in my directory, and tried downloading, installing, etc.
Still didn't solve the issue.
I did however have the folder in a different location, by searching in my drivers. It came up under the windows folder-infused apps-asus keyboard etc.
It had the "ATKOSD2.exe" file but when clicked nothing happens, whereas the asus keyboard hotkey app does say the hotkeys are running in the background.

Yes it's correct in my case that when I press the buttons together the image showing the change of boost settings doesn't show up, whereas when it was working it did, but it also doesn't change the settings, as I have ASUS ROG Gaming centre open, and I can see it doesn't change.

I Can still change the option for the fan boost in the ROG Gaming centre app, but otherwise the FN key doesn't access it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Do you suggest trying to update BIOS?

Thank you all for your replies and discussion.

I would suggest the BIOS 310.

I would also suggest you install the following:

ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.5.0

ROG Gaming Center 2.5.10
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
I would suggest the BIOS 310.

I would also suggest you install the following:

ASUS Keyboard hotkeys Driver V2.0.5.0

ROG Gaming Center 2.5.10

I have updated the bios and i also uninstalled then reinstalled the hotkeys driver but it is still not working