cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear USB-C dead?

Blushfy
Level 7
Hello,

First time posting, long time lurker and I have to say I've found some invaluable tips on this forum! Recently I've made the switch to AMD and I bought a Crosshair VI Hero for a bargain, unfortunately it seems that the rear AsMedia USB 3.1 Type-C port isn't working, I first thought that it was because of the I/O shield not allowing for full insertion of USB cables but even after taking it off and making the hole larger with a dremel so that the cable connectors can be inserted all the way the port isn't working. All the while the red Type-A port is working without any hiccups.

I've been using an iPhone 8 plus with the official apple USB-C to Lightning cable to test this and the front port is working flawlessly, steps taken to troubleshoot:

1.Uninstall and reinstall device in device manager
2. Install AsMedia drivers from CHVI official support page
3. Install drivers from win-raid forum (both new and stable)
4. Install ubuntu (installed using Type A red port just to make sure it is fully working)

Is this a common occurence with this motherboard? Is there anything I am missing which is causing this problem?
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
Have you tried testing other USB devices in this port?

I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that the USB ports on some MAXIMUS mobos have built-in overcurrent protection so that errant USB power won't damage the mobo ... but once it's tripped (burned out) it's done forever, USB port dead forever without component-level hardware repair.
Hoping that someone might be able to confirm/deny if this is true, and if it applies to your CH6 mobo.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thank you for the info Korth! Do you know if the Crosshair VI Hero comes with any sort of sticker that indicates if the board has been opened previously? The way I received mine there was nothing of the sort to indicate if it was previously used although absolutely nothing was missing from the box and all the cables were in their factory sealed baggies.

P.S. I have not tested anything other than the iPhone, although I may get my hands on a newer android phone and try with that but as previously mentioned the iphone works flawlessly with the front USB-C.

Korth
Level 14
You can try plugging in any USB device. Keyboard, mouse, speakers/headphone, flash drive gizmo, whatever. If the port works then the port works and the problem must be the specific iPhone (or whatever) USB device you've been having problems with instead.

If this port is serviced by chipset add-ons (ASMedia, etc) then you might simply have a driver issue. Try uninstall/reinstall the drivers again (downloaded fresh from your mobo page) in case Windows somehow broke them. Don't forget to restart Windows (twice) if you want to ensure changes persist.

ASUS motherboards are installed by the end-user, they don't have any tamperproof stickers or whatever ... as far as the mobo box goes I don't know because I never bought that mobo, but I can say that every other ASUS mobo (or ASUS monitor) I've ever purchased has had very obvious and very secure ASUS-factory seals on the packaging, it's impossible to not notice if it's already been opened.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I've tried all kinds of drivers, unistalling and then reinstalling to no avail, also tried linux, Ubuntu and Fedora specifically but no luck. I'm not sure if I received a board that was returned by a previous customer as none of the included accessories is missing, maybe Asus in Germany doesn't have any seals on their boxes? Oh and I've also tried a external battery pack for charging phones as it has a USB-C port and comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable for power delivery charging but that doesn't work either.

[QUOTE=Blushfy;743906maybe Asus in Germany doesn't have any seals on their boxes?

I'm based in the UK, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero bought from Amazon UK, pre-order on launch. Box had no seals, no plastic wrap, mobo was not even in antistatic bag. The box tray containing the mobo had a sheet of plastic under the mobo and clear plastic cover on box tray, which again was not sealed. I knew motherboard was new/unused basically from look/feel of how it all felt pristine plus the solder around the mounting holes for mobo had no marks from being screwed down.

The ASUS Zenith Extreme and ASUS Crosshair VII Hero were the same way.

I use the Rear IO USB-C port on my C6H. I just use a bog standard USB-C to USB-C cable to occasionally recharge my phone/grab data from it. The IO shield is not modified as you have done. Currently experiencing no issues.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Korth
Level 14
lol you could google up some youtube unboxing vids or reviews. If you got something that looks different then it might have been tampered with after it left the ASUS plant.

[/Korth]

JustinThyme
Level 13
Does it show in device manager?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

KillerGamerCat
Level 7
Mine is also not working...