cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Please Help*** ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 PCI-e x16 Slot Issue

sgee19
Level 7
I have a lightly used ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 mb and I'm setting up sli for the very first time on the 2nd PCI-e x16 slot, but I seem to not be getting any output or activity. This motherboard was brand new when I bought it and the port has never been used. For all intents and purposes it's brand new so I can't imagine that it's failed.

Both of my video cards work in the primary slot, but when I try either one in the second slot I don't get any video output. Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I'd rather not have to purchase a new board yet. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
So if I have understood you when using a single card lane two does not work?

Download GPUz and and install. With both cards installed and connected see if Sli is enabled?

Assuming that the PCIe lanes works and may have been disabled in bios please do this.

If you have an overclock dialed into your board, save the settings. Even if you write them down. Then do a CMOS clear with both graphic cards removed.

Fit the cards together, ensure both have their power connectors well fitted and are seated firmly - hear the click - in the correct PCIe lanes as per the user manual.

Then boot to BIOS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

You're understanding is accurate. Here's what I'm working with for hardware:

MB: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 BIOS v3603 x64 (latest)
Video Cards: Asus GTX 970 SC 04G-2974-KR x 2

I cleared the BIOS and reseated the cards then when I ran GPU-z it show SLI as disabled, but it did see 2 cards so I'm beginning to think that it's the bridge that's causing the issue. The bridge I'm using should work as previous reviews indicate that it has worked for a 970 SLI setup.

I've attached a few pics to help as well.

HiVizMan wrote:
So if I have understood you when using a single card lane two does not work?

Download GPUz and and install. With both cards installed and connected see if Sli is enabled?

Assuming that the PCIe lanes works and may have been disabled in bios please do this.

If you have an overclock dialed into your board, save the settings. Even if you write them down. Then do a CMOS clear with both graphic cards removed.

Fit the cards together, ensure both have their power connectors well fitted and are seated firmly - hear the click - in the correct PCIe lanes as per the user manual.

Then boot to BIOS.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK that is good news that the BIOS see's both cards.

However if you remove the bridge and connect your VGA monitor directly to the second card is should work as a stand alone card.

The SLI bridge can often appear to be fully connected while not. So remove and reseat. Swap it around - have had that work for me while benching in the past. No idea why but hey we just want stuff to work.
Please do see if you can swap out the SLi bridge.

Go into your driver software, nVIdia in this instance and enable SLi from the options. Click the Set Sli configuration under the 3D settings memu. Then select enable SLi Tech.

All this is dependant on SLi being selected in the bios. Will pull up the manual for your board and see if it is set on Auto or if you manually have to do so.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

See that's one of the things that so odd. When I disconnect the bridge and go direct with the second card I still don't get any output! I'm going to retract what I said earlier about GPU-z. I took away the bridge, power and video from the 2nd card and GPU-z still picks up the same card so what it's picking up is the onboard VGA. It isn't seeing the 2nd card at all.

I almost can't help, but go back to 2nd PCI-e lane and suspect something. Why can't I get even standalone video out of it? I've noticed too that when both cards are bridged and powered both of their fans start and stop at boot up like everything is fine! This shouldn't be this complicated.

HiVizMan wrote:
OK that is good news that the BIOS see's both cards.

However if you remove the bridge and connect your VGA monitor directly to the second card is should work as a stand alone card.

The SLI bridge can often appear to be fully connected while not. So remove and reseat. Swap it around - have had that work for me while benching in the past. No idea why but hey we just want stuff to work.
Please do see if you can swap out the SLi bridge.

Go into your driver software, nVIdia in this instance and enable SLi from the options. Click the Set Sli configuration under the 3D settings memu. Then select enable SLi Tech.

All this is dependant on SLi being selected in the bios. Will pull up the manual for your board and see if it is set on Auto or if you manually have to do so.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Those SLI bridges are easily damaged.

But assuming it's OK and everything is seated in the correct place and powered properly, you might want to reinstall the GPU drivers.

Use DDU in safe mode to uninstall driver with first GPU fitted and install fresh driver. Power down and fit second GPU but don't connect with the bridge...fire up the system. Then shut down and install bridge. Fire up system again and see if SLI is available to enable in GPU panel.

Good news!! You're suggestion worked like a charm!!! My only issue now is with the SLI bridge, as you can see from the attachment my system now can now see both cards. Thanks again for your assistance!!!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

But assuming it's OK and everything is seated in the correct place and powered properly, you might want to reinstall the GPU drivers.

Use DDU in safe mode to uninstall driver with first GPU fitted and install fresh driver. Power down and fit second GPU but don't connect with the bridge...fire up the system. Then shut down and install bridge. Fire up system again and see if SLI is available to enable in GPU panel.

Well it turns out that due to my ignorance I didn't know that you should only be using one bridge, but I was using 2. Once I removed the extra bridge then voila!! SLI was able to kick in.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Just to be clear, you have iGPU disabled and GPUs in dark blue slot and white slot?

You are correct. Both cards work in the blue/primary slot, but neither work in the white /secondary slot.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Just to be clear, you have iGPU disabled and GPUs in dark blue slot and white slot?