cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

970EVO NVMe SSD and Maximus Hero VIII, cannot do initial setup

m4x2012
Level 8
Good morning all,
I've been waiting for the arrival of my brand new Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD in order to replace my original SM951 PCIe AHCI M.2 but, with my big surprise, the new device will not be recognized either by Windows than BIOS.

I'm currently on AHCI setting, but I've reset to factory defaults the BIOS settings (upgraded to the lastest available, 3802), tried with UEFI Only (disabling the Legacy one) without any success.

The system won't show the new SSD.

Maybe a faulty device?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

ondersma80
Level 7
m4x2012 wrote:
Maybe a faulty device?

Possible. If you rapidly push F8 during startup, do you see the Evo in that list? If you enter the UEFI and go to the boot menu do you see it in the lists there at the bottom?

ondersma80 wrote:
Possible. If you rapidly push F8 during startup, do you see the Evo in that list? If you enter the UEFI and go to the boot menu do you see it in the lists there at the bottom?

No at both.
I also tried to disconnect all the SATA peripherals but no success.

claudej
Level 7
Did you try taking it off and back on ?
Why do you change, you go bigger ? I've got SM951 too (with 37TB written).
Can you try the same behaviour with SM951 as with 970 Evo ?

claudej wrote:
Did you try taking it off and back on ?
Why do you change, you go bigger ? I've got SM951 too (with 37TB written).
Can you try the same behaviour with SM951 as with 970 Evo ?

Yeah some times, also tried to clean the slot with compressed air without success.

I've finally reinstalled the SM951 and everything works 😞

claudej
Level 7
Meaning you see the SM951 in the Bios boot setting but not the Evo ?

claudej wrote:
Meaning you see the SM951 in the Bios boot setting but not the Evo ?

Hell yeah!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do you have a mate near to you that you can pop over and see if his board picks up the M2 Evo?

Would determine if it was faulty like
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Do you have a mate near to you that you can pop over and see if his board picks up the M2 Evo?

Would determine if it was faulty like

I'll try tomorrow in my IT Department to swap it in a X1 Carbon laptop...

Any suggestion if it will work in other system?

Thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
Lets cross that bridge when we get to it mate. As it stands all that you have done has equalled zero detection.

Assumed that you have pulled all drives from your motherboard, reset bios, clear cmos and then fitted the new M2 and still was not picked up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.