cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus xi formula with team xtreem 4500 won't boot. need help!!

Pun_VI
Level 7
9900k with maximus xi formula
i just bought team xtreem ddr4-4500 mhz 2x8gb
with xmp I and xmp II, the system won't boot.
i have to step down to 4000mhz to get into window.
what should i do?
pls help.
21 REPLIES 21

Stagefire
Level 7
I have the same Problem with the Hero XI and a 2 x 8 GB Tridend Z RGB 4400mhz cl 18 Kit. The thing is that this Frequenzes not supportet with only 2 Bars it needs 4 Bars to go up 4133mhz and more. I think thats stupid but that's the way it is. The only thing we can hope for is a Bios Update.

Stagefire wrote:
I have the same Problem with the Hero XI and a 2 x 8 GB Tridend Z RGB 4400mhz cl 18 Kit. The thing is that this Frequenzes not supportet with only 2 Bars it needs 4 Bars to go up 4133mhz and more. I think thats stupid but that's the way it is. The only thing we can hope for is a Bios Update.

I've just saw in QVL list that over 4266mhz need 4 dimm to operate. Thanks. I should have seen it before buying.
team xtreem 4500mhz was not in QVL list.
Is is too risky to buy another 2 dimm?

I dont Know .. but i am not buying a Secound Kit, this has to FIx by Asus in a Bios Update. Its the expensive Maximus Line and I expect Maximus support. 4400mhz OC stands on the back of the Packaging and not that it only Run with 4 Dimms. I'm disappointed that i buy an expensive Ram Kit and a expensive Maximus Mainboard and it runs with lower Ram Speeds on the Maximus Line.

But when you will buy a Secound Kit to fill 4 Dimms i can not tell you that this 100 % work , maybe work but maybe not. Because Asus recommend a Quad Kit and not 2 Dual Kits.

Pun_VI wrote:
9900k with maximus xi formula
i just bought team xtreem ddr4-4500 mhz 2x8gb
with xmp I and xmp II, the system won't boot.
i have to step down to 4000mhz to get into window.
what should i do?
pls help.

Hi,

The Formula is only validated for up to 4400, and this is dependent on number of factors, including the individual CPU.

Try both Maximus Tweak Modes 1 and 2 and see if this helps. You may need to use in excess of 1.35v VCCSA for these speeds.

Stagefire wrote:

The Formula is a four DIMM board, so it makes more sense for the DRAM topology to help accommodate all slots populated than it does for two DIMM setups. Either setup can need manual tuning beyond 4K, however.

Also, the kit you specify is not validated for the Formula, only the Gene. When looking to purchase the higher tier memory kits it's often a good idea to purchase one validated for the board you are using.

I have the XI Formula here, using G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ @ 4K. UEFI 0602

nickolp1974 wrote:
4500mhz is pretty tough on the IMC. You will need to manually tune SA and VCCIO voltages. And I was always under the impression that the more ram slots populated the harder it is to tune ram, as in higher freq and tighter timings as it increases even more load on the IMC

The four DIMM boards use the T-Topology layout which favors 4 DIMM overclocking, but the designs work fairly well with both DIMM configurations on recent boards. However, 2 DIMM boards will always be far better for memory overclocking, especially when talking about raw frequency.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

The four DIMM boards use the T-Topology layout which favors 4 DIMM overclocking, but the designs work fairly well with both DIMM configurations on recent boards. However, 2 DIMM boards will always be far better for memory overclocking, especially when talking about raw frequency.

thats interesting to know, thanks
i9 9900K, ROG Gene XI, G.Skill 4266 and one big bucket!

nickolp1974
Level 10
4500mhz is pretty tough on the IMC. You will need to manually tune SA and VCCIO voltages. And I was always under the impression that the more ram slots populated the harder it is to tune ram, as in higher freq and tighter timings as it increases even more load on the IMC
i9 9900K, ROG Gene XI, G.Skill 4266 and one big bucket!

Pun_VI
Level 7
Dam..I ‘ve bought second kit.
Now i still can achive only 4200mhz with 4 dimm. Try maximus tweak 1 to 4300 but not stable. Bsod when test with aida64.
Ramp up *vccio vvcsa around 1.35-1.375 . Dram 1.55v. LLC level 6. Cant get 4400mhz that wrote in motherboard spec.
Waste another 500$. At least help me get 4400 mhz pls.*

Pun_VI wrote:
Now i still can achive only 4200mhz with 4 dimm. Try maximus tweak 1 to 4300 but not stable. Bsod when test with aida64.
Ramp up *vccio vvcsa around 1.35-1.375 . Dram 1.55v. LLC level 6. Cant get 4400mhz that wrote in motherboard spec.

Hi,

Have you tried with the latest BIOS 0602 for your motherboard ? : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105974-BIOS-0602-ROG-Maximus-XI-amp-ROG-Strix-Z390-Gaming

Changelog :
- Improved system stability and performance.
- Updated Microcode for 8-core CPU.
- Improved DRAM stability.
- Fixed USB device issue.

Pun_VI wrote:

Did you buy a set or 2 more DDR4 sticks to add to the 2 sticks you already had? If so then that is not a good idea, because when you buy a set of 4 dimms the chips are selected very carefully to have the same specs as close as possible.

But if you get 2 sets of 2 sticks per set of DDR4 only each pack or 2 sticks of RAM is "tuned" to work together as a pair, and it might not work well with the other 2 sticks purchased separately. The best chance for 2 different sets of 2 sticks of DDR to work is if the RAM chips was manufactured on the same day, but this is still not a 100% guarantee that you will get full speed or stability. The only way to get the best outcome is to purchase a set a 4 sticks of RAM as a single package because all the RAM chips are carefully selected to match each other regarding all timmings/voltage specs.