cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between ROG Maximus XI Hero vs Code

XYchromosone
Level 10
Can someone from ASUS please explain the differences between these two mobos. I've looked at the specs at the ASUS product website but what I am looking for does not appear to show up. How much difference is in the VRM or is it identical in Voltage/Current capability? What exactly makes the Code cost more? TIA for any help.
12 REPLIES 12

Zammin
Level 9
The power delivery is identical. Same VRM. Same on the Formula as well. The differences lie in features, aesthetics and maybe a bit more connectivity and larger heat sinks.

BillBittel
Level 12
Max Xi Hero has a DisplayPort connector and HDMI connector for iGPU. Code only has HDMI.
Hero has a PS2 port on the rear panel. Code does not.
Code has an AsMedia USB3,1 Gen 1 Controller that Hero does not, so there are more USB3.1 ports on the Code. Glancing at the rear IO panel, the Hero has 2 USB3.1gen1 ports while the Code has 6. Hero has 2 USB2.0 ports on back. Code has none.

Hero
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (4 at back panel, +red, 1 x Type-C+3 x Type-A)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, +blue, 2 x Type-A)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, +black, 4 at mid-board)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)

Code
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
8 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
4 x USB 2.0 port(s)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 1 controller :
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s)

The PCIE lane arrangements are different.

Hero
Intel® Z390 Chipset
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8 or x8/x4/x4)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x4 mode) *1
3 x PCIe 3.0 x1

Code
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16, x8/x8, or x8/x4+x4)
Intel® Z390 Chipset
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (max at x4 mode) *
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16

I think that is everything, The VRM is identical AFAIK.

XYchromosone
Level 10
Thank you for your help ZAMMIN and BILLBITTEL@ME.COM. Things are a bit confusing because the only difference that ASUS show here:
https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/introducing-rog-maximus-strix-z390-gaming-motherb...

are the PCIe lanes, Code =
3 x16
1 x1

Hero=
3 x16
3 x1

Yet the Code is some 80 bucks more expensive?

But BILLBITTEL@ME.COM you say that there are much more differences than what is shown in the above link regarding Code having the Asmedia USB3.1 controller where as the Hero does not, yet you also say Code has more USB3.1 ports due to the Asmedia controller which is missing on the Hero. The above spec show that both boards have the same number of USB ports, though?

I notice my XI Code has only one PCIe 3.0 x1 port and the hero has 3 x PCIe 3.0 x1 ports which is what was confusing me regarding why the Code costs more. But I see that the SLI capability is better with the Code, as is were. I have never used SLI so I am not well rehearsed with the Lane's featureso the differences in the lanes is a bit confusing with these 2 boards. However, I believe I can get my head around it if it were explained in a "PCIe 3.0 x 16 Maximus XI Code vs Hero for dummies". Although BILLBITTEL@ME.COM has explained it in technical specs terminology, which I am usually comfortable with. Thanks again, guys.

BTW the attraction to purchasing a high end mobo with SLI capability is that I do not mind paying more for a product that has features that I might not use but more importantly it is made using best quality electronic components with advanced engineering [although this generation of ROG Maximus XI is somewhat lacking in the VRM side, unfortunately].

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi, this may help.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=HoZGpSKey80hlF3B,MQ9gaOaFluarIrbV&b=2
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi, this may help.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=HoZGpSKey80hlF3B,MQ9gaOaFluarIrbV&b=2

Thanks, however the link you posted compares the Code with the Formula. My OP was in regards to the Code vs Hero

Korth
Level 14
The different in spec is PCIe_x1 slots (3 on Code, 1 on Hero) and integrated WiFi (optional on Hero).
Code apparently has more built-in fan/pump headers and temp sensors for watercoolers.
Aesthetics are different, ROG styling and AURA seem to be presented differently on the two boards.
And price is different, of course.

Full descriptions and comparisons (about everything except VRMs, lol) are here.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

A big shout of thanks to everyone for your time and help. Much appreciated.

BillBittel
Level 12
Sometimes a picture is easier. This is what I meant about the difference in USB ports on the XI Hero verses the Code. The Code has 6 USB3.0 ports on the back, the Hero has 2.

XI Hero Spec says
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (4 at back panel, +red, 1 x Type-C+3 x Type-A)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, +blue, 2 x Type-A)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, +black, 4 at mid-board)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :

Xi Code Spec Says
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
8 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s)
Intel® Z390 Chipset :
4 x USB 2.0 port(s)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 1 controller :
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s)

I did notice that on the comparison page that SilentScone posted, the USB lists are the same and they both list an Asmedia USB3.1 GEN 1 controller. They are not the same on the individual spec web pages. Maybe a typo. Also, I do not think WIFI is optional on the XI Hero like it was on the X Hero boards.

BillBittel@Me.com wrote:
...Also, I do not think WIFI is optional on the XI Hero like it was on the X Hero boards.

It is

There is an non WiFi edition of the board ...I got one 🙂