cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX 1080 Fans uncontrollable

jdare99
Level 7
Hi all

I have been having this problem with my GPU fans for a few months now and i have been unable to find a fix. The problem is the fans on my GPU ramp up and down uncontrollably. From 0 to warp speed (so fast it sounds like they are going to self destruct). This happens during game play or if i try to set the fan speed manually through GPU tweak 2. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re installing them, BIOS update to the latest, uninstall GPU tweak nothing changed so i reinstalled.
No matter the setting (manual or auto) the outcome is always the same as pictured below. I have others that are worse.

https://ibb.co/cQ1RaA

Would love to find a fix for this before my fans melt...

Cheers
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
Set the fan curve manually. Mine is at default because I have no fans in professional mode select user defined.
You can go lower with the cut in and higher to max. Depends on how warm your gpu gets and how tolerant you are to noise.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Set the fan curve manually. Mine is at default because I have no fans in professional mode select user defined.
You can go lower with the cut in and higher to max. Depends on how warm your gpu gets and how tolerant you are to noise.

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I have tried to set the fan curve too. Still getting the same result. I am currently away with work but before i left i done a complete wipe of my PC and reinstalled windows. I am yet to see if this has helped.

I will reply to this thread if i was successful

Vlada011
Level 10
Did you resolve, I hope answer is yes

ASUS GPU Tweak Ii is cool as all other ASUS Softwares.
I liked him and before but I was so impatient to switch from MSI Afterburner to GPU Tweak before I bought ASUS GPU.

jdare99
Level 7
The clean install did NOT fix my problem....

JustinThyme
Level 13
Your temp doesnt seem to be changing that much to account for the spikes.
What setting did you try in the user define area?
When II ran my 1080Tis on air before completing the WC (and I always like to stress test before going through a WC assembly) I had them at zero to 70C then put the other end to 50% at 90C. In my experience anything above 50% had very little impact. Before the adjustment I had exactly what you are describing with bursts going from pretty much off to 70% or more then back to nothing. Would be less annoying if they just ran full bore all the time!!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein