cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus Motherboard Problems

jekidwell
Level 7
Fellow Gamers,

It is with much regret that I must bid a fond farewell to all of you. I have been a customer of ASUS motherboards for many years. But my recent experience with my acquisition of the ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard has convinced me to change motherboard manufacturers. I have received 2 ROG Maximus X Hero motherboards and both of them have failed. Why did they fail? Who knows !!! But from my perspective as a consumer of their products I relied on the excellent design, components, and packaging of their motherboards. One difference I did notice with the ROG Maximus X Hero is the way it was packaged. Both motherboard boxes were NOT sealed with tape or vacuum sealed with cellophane. Also the motherboard inside was not sealed in an anti-static bag. You may say this is really not important but you would be sorely wrong.

I have read multiple reviews of this MOBO and I have learned that the packaging on this product may very well be inadequate. These reviews have stated that the motherboard is not placed inside of a sealed anti-static bag. Furthermore, the motherboard box is not sealed by cellophane plastic or tape. So while this product is flowing through the transportation channel, anyone can open it and touch and/or remove the MOBO and expose the circuitry to an electrostatic shock !!! While this electrical shock may not disable the function of the MOBO it is highly likely it will weaken the circuitry and introduce an incipient failure mechanism that will shorten the life of this product!!!

I posed a question to an ASUS customer support person on Newegg. He indicated to me via an email that the entire Maximus product line was indeed packaged
without external motherboard box sealing and no anti-static bag for the motherboard itself. I know not why ASUS has adopted this packaging change but for me this is not acceptable.

By career I am an Electrical/Electronical engineer. For some years I worked with General Electric. I was a member of a working group studying the effects of static electricity on micro-electronic components and sub-assemblies. We used a static electricity detection meter with a Tritium foil assembly. What we discovered was very surprising. The detection of voltages on the surface of the skin and clothing can easily range between 1000 to 25000 volts. People handling a sub-assembly like a PC motherboard do not necessarily have to see a spark to have concern that damage will happen to the circuitry. There are design approaches that help a sub-assembly shunt away any sudden electric shock.

I believe many of the people in this community are well aware of the static electricity precautions necessary to safely install a PC motherboard. My concern is primarily the safe and survivable transit of the motherboard assembly through the transportation channel. All of you who lay down your hard earned money in purchase of these products deserve a properly wrapped package.

CAVEAT EMPTOR !

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/caveat-emptor
Rampage V Extreme
Intel 5930K @ 4400 MHz
CPU Cooled by Koolance EXOS 2.5 Radiator
Koolance CPU-380I Water Block
AMD R9 295x2 with stock hybrid cooler
16GB DDR4 Gskill DRAM F4-3000C15Q-16GRK
15-15-15-35 2T, 1.35 Vdc , clocked at 2400MHz
Corsair ATX 1200i Power Supply
5 REPLIES 5

kens30
Level 11
I totally agree with you.
All these years i only choose Asus motherboards for the great quality components and lifespan.
I received the Maximus X code the same way you mentioned and i paid a premium for quality.
Now all of a sudden a i am concerned about the life expectancy of the motherboard as i don't have no money to replace it if something goes wrong.
Just a note the only issue that i am having is with the sound, it seems that every cpu frequency change causes a static noise to my speakers and if i use the high performance profile the noise is constant.
Even with my sound blaster z installed the static noise does not go away.
I am truly sad about the quality going down even more on new XI series motherboards.
To be truthful this is the very first time i am looking to buy another brand mobo (when i can afford it).
I will certainly miss the great bios implementation they have..

Vlada011
Level 10
I'm under influence of ASUS video from date when I saw, I hope it's true. 🙂

If some model of motherboard have higher RMA rate maybe is something other wrong, not necessary lower quality.
Why Maximus X were not good quality?

Rampage V Series is same as Rampage IV and III, it's not lower quality.
For VI I don't know. I even liked more Rampage V Extreme, than Rampage IV Extreme, later Black was really, really cool motherboard and still is for owners of i7-3960X and 4960X.

Maybe if I can choose Rampage III and V are my favorite ASUS Series.
I always recommend to people who no money for new and search for older good parts over Ebay.
Rampage V Extreme and i7 Haswell-E is always my recommendation and will be until DDR5 show up.
Special users who not play games and use computer for school or work could use expensive Xeons on Rampage V X99 and price is really affordable for used hardware. Most of them have enough warranty at least few months to check motherboard if everything is OK.

emsir
Level 8
jekidwell wrote:
Fellow Gamers,

It is with much regret that I must bid a fond farewell to all of you. I have been a customer of ASUS motherboards for many years. But my recent experience with my acquisition of the ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard has convinced me to change motherboard manufacturers. I have received 2 ROG Maximus X Hero motherboards and both of them have failed. Why did they fail? Who knows !!! But from my perspective as a consumer of their products I relied on the excellent design, components, and packaging of their motherboards. One difference I did notice with the ROG Maximus X Hero is the way it was packaged. Both motherboard boxes were NOT sealed with tape or vacuum sealed with cellophane. Also the motherboard inside was not sealed in an anti-static bag. You may say this is really not important but you would be sorely wrong.

I have read multiple reviews of this MOBO and I have learned that the packaging on this product may very well be inadequate. These reviews have stated that the motherboard is not placed inside of a sealed anti-static bag. Furthermore, the motherboard box is not sealed by cellophane plastic or tape. So while this product is flowing through the transportation channel, anyone can open it and touch and/or remove the MOBO and expose the circuitry to an electrostatic shock !!! While this electrical shock may not disable the function of the MOBO it is highly likely it will weaken the circuitry and introduce an incipient failure mechanism that will shorten the life of this product!!!

I posed a question to an ASUS customer support person on Newegg. He indicated to me via an email that the entire Maximus product line was indeed packaged
without external motherboard box sealing and no anti-static bag for the motherboard itself. I know not why ASUS has adopted this packaging change but for me this is not acceptable.

By career I am an Electrical/Electronical engineer. For some years I worked with General Electric. I was a member of a working group studying the effects of static electricity on micro-electronic components and sub-assemblies. We used a static electricity detection meter with a Tritium foil assembly. What we discovered was very surprising. The detection of voltages on the surface of the skin and clothing can easily range between 1000 to 25000 volts. People handling a sub-assembly like a PC motherboard do not necessarily have to see a spark to have concern that damage will happen to the circuitry. There are design approaches that help a sub-assembly shunt away any sudden electric shock.

I believe many of the people in this community are well aware of the static electricity precautions necessary to safely install a PC motherboard. My concern is primarily the safe and survivable transit of the motherboard assembly through the transportation channel. All of you who lay down your hard earned money in purchase of these products deserve a properly wrapped package.

CAVEAT EMPTOR !

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/caveat-emptor

You sound paranoid and your nightmare about static electicity is way too much. I don't know why you think ASUS is the problem. As i see it, you are the problem. ASUS sell millions of motherboard and now you say that the way ASUS is packaging the motherboard are risky? I don't think you have any knowiedge about static electricity. ASUS does not do anything wrong. You have to do some homework and handle your motherboard the right way. There is absolutely no problem with ASUS motherboards (ASUS ROG Maximus X )
You are the only one with this specific problem.....and now ASUS is to blame? Nonsense!

There is no necessary precaution to install a motherboard - but- common sense. Touch metallic surface once in a while when dealing with electronic parts so you are at the same electric level as the component - simple as that. It's not rocket science. You have to think about it. You got your motherboard replaced twice, and same problem? I think you have a problem and not ASUS.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Would I prefer to see my motherboard come in an anti electrostatic bag and contained within a well sealed box? Sure.

Am I disappointed to see these consumer confidence inspiring packaging techniques go away? Yes.

Do I lose sleep over it? Not at all.

I think perspective is important. Each consumer has their right to feel as they wish about a product offering. Each consumer can weigh the pros and cons of each product offering as they see fit. So for the OP here, he has the right to feel it is enough for him to change brand. I hope Asus takes note. I do suspect, however, most folks will look to the operational features and overall reliability of the motherboard over the packaging on the weight scale. I am one of those consumers.

That said, it would do ROG/Asus some good to not make such cut backs to save a few pennies on what is supposed to be flag ship offerings.

HiVizMan
Level 40
For general information, it is advised to wear an anti static band when working with electronic components. System builders do so all the time. They are cheap and they are worth the extra effort in procuring and wearing.

Static electricity is the product of the environment and the materials in that environment. Most importantly it can be managed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.