cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme

kahless
Level 7
Hi

I purchased a Maximus XI Extreme to go with a 9900K cpu.

My first mobo with a Dimm.2 interface.

Can I put two Samsung Nvme drives in the Dimm.2 card, run them in Raid O while having a single gpu in 16X with 6 Sata ssd's as well?
15 REPLIES 15

btrach144
Level 7
kahless wrote:
Hi

I purchased a Maximus XI Extreme to go with a 9900K cpu.

My first mobo with a Dimm.2 interface.

Can I put two Samsung Nvme drives in the Dimm.2 card, run them in Raid O while having a single gpu in 16X with 6 Sata ssd's as well?

No, both m.2 ports on the DIMM.2 riser are connected to the CPU. This means even using just 1 of the ports will drop your GPU down to x8. Whether or not that's a sacrifice you want to make is up to you.

kahless
Level 7
Good to know! If I dont want to lose 16x then use one of the m.2 slots down by the pch?

kahless wrote:
Good to know! If I dont want to lose 16x then use one of the m.2 slots down by the pch?

that is correct! It’s really a shame that the ports by the pch don’t have a heat sink like the Formula.

Guess you can’t get everything?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip that is where I installed my M.2 device on the Extreme.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Wonder if that cover that encloses the bottom section where we fit the M.2 acts as some kind of thermal dissipation device.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kahless
Level 7
A bit disappointing I wont be using the dimm.2 device. Maybe going from 16x to 8x isnt a big deal but who buys a $1300 + 2080Ti to game at 8x lol.

I assume the m.2 port at the bottom of this board has some sort of heatsink with thermal pad? I dont have it in hand yet from Newegg.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Kahless not thermal paste or stuff like that mate, but I run two OEM P891 M.2 drives and there has been NO, ZERO throttling due to heat at all.

vcjester
Level 7
I ran across this the other day, pertaining to M.2 and heat. Skip to 6:10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSIfxHppPY

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah totally - thing is folks hear terms like thermal throttle and don't really understand how rare or how difficult it is to make happen. Nice share vcjester