cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Formula LiveDash CPU Temp Reading is Wrong

Zammin
Level 9
Hi all

Just the other day I finished piecing my new system together. 9900k, Maximus XI Formula, RTX 2080 Ti.

The OLED LiveDash looks great, but the CPU temp it displays is wrong. When I'm stress testing the CPU it will be 10C or more below the actual CPU temp. It will display 61C when the CPU temp is 73C, for example.

Does anyone know why this is? Is there a way to calibrate it or fix the issue? Or perhaps if someone from ASUS is reading this, will this issue be fixed in a near future update?

It's pretty much a useless feature right now with it being so far off. With this LiveDash being advertised as a big feature of this expensive motherboard I would expect it to work properly. The other "big" features of this board have been disappointing for the price, such as the RGB lighting being extremely dim in places (nothing at all like the images on the product page..) and the "twin 8 phase VRM" being only a 4 phase. I would at LEAST like the LiveDash to be useful for the $719 AUD I paid...
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Zammin wrote:
Does anyone know why this is?

It will probably be displaying "package" temp or CPUTIN or whatever it's called not core temps.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
It will probably be displaying "package" temp or CPUTIN or whatever it's called not core temps.

I read someone saying this about the LiveDash on the Rampage VI, but when I look at CPU package temps in other applications it's not the same either. Haven't heard of CPUTIN before, I'll have to look it up.

Shamino
hi if im not wrong this will be the temp you see in hw monitor of bios/ai suite, which is an calibrated temp factoring in thermistor and core temp.

Ive been using my xi formula for a few days now too and have also noticed its wrong. It seems to go off package temp where most other programs use core temps or the average of the cores temps...

Even then im seeing nearly 20c difference at times...

Thankfully i mainly want to display wa ater water temperature on it

Submit the problem to asus and they may fix it

mdzcpa
Level 12
Yes, this is a "calculated" CPU temp as Shamino says. Actual Core temps are much higher. The reported cpu is a blended temp. I compensated by adjusting fan curves in AI Suite knowing its low (off about 10c).

I believe this is some how considered a "feature" by design. I read somewhere that this was done minimize the bouncing temps (and related surging/falling fan and pump speeds) the latest generation of CPUs have while performing rudimentary desktop chores. If so, I'm not really happy with that. I'd like to see real core temps and use the fan spin up/spin down delays to control fan and pump surges.

Zammin
Level 9
Yeah even if it was done as a way to prevent erratic fan speeds, it's totally useless to show that reading on a diagnostics display as the ONLY CPU temp option. I don't understand why CPU (highest core) temp is not an option in LiveDash. The longer I use this board for the more I feel I paid too much for it (quality concerns, really dim lighting that looks nothing like it does on the webpage, features that aren't as useful as advertised, falsely advertised phase count etc). Such a shame.