cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New RAMPAGE motherboard on the line?

PsiEmitter
Level 8
There are rumours stating, that Asus will soon announce a new Rampage VII motherboard for Intel's Skylake-X refresh 2066 processors based on the new Z399 chipset. Does anybody have detailed information about this? Is it worth waiting another 1-2 months before building a new rig to find out?
21 REPLIES 21

Abaidor
Level 9
I would wait before I spent a considerable amount of cash for such a platform to see what the new SKUs have to offer. They are not far...
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
I would wait before I spent a considerable amount of cash for such a platform to see what the new SKUs have to offer. They are not far...

Interesting thing is, that however Skylake-X refresh CPUs are shown as "launched" on Intel's webpage, there are nor availability dates, neither benchmarks on the new CPUs nowhere, not to mention Z399 mptherboards, of which there are literally zero information to be found... I remember, about 3 months earlier the Z370 chipset was launched, we already knew the names and features of the upcoming motherboards... I wonder, does this mean, that we have to wait even more months to find out anything specific about Z399 boards...

Abaidor
Level 9
Some reviews are out (google it or check Anandtech) and the new 9980XE does not look good.

I mean the thermals are not great and it does not seem to overclock any better. Yet, it is harder and riskier to delid. They only offer better stock clocks in other words.

I made up my mind and will proceed to delid my 7940X and go direct die cooling.

Wait a little bit and see if you can get any of the "older SKUS" at a discount.

Regarding Z399 I really don't know what is going on....there is probably no point in it and I don't expect any exciting news unless manufacturers want to "correct" some flaws of existing lines and make the update. Other than that I don't expect any notable improvements either. If you are buying now though just wait a bit longer to see what they may come up with.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
Some reviews are out (google it or check Anandtech) and the new 9980XE does not look good.

I mean the thermals are not great and it does not seem to overclock any better. Yet, it is harder and riskier to delid. They only offer better stock clocks in other words.

Regarding Z399 I really don't know what is going on....there is probably no point in it and I don't expect any exciting news unless manufacturers want to "correct" some flaws of existing lines and make the update. Other than that I don't expect any notable improvements either. If you are buying now though just wait a bit longer to see what they may come up with.

Hi! Yes, I saw the articles. Since I plan to build a rig, that is top efficient in gaming as well, I still would like to stick to 2066. Formerly I was seriously thinking about a 9900K+Maximus XI Formula combo, but I would like to use four NVMe M.2 drives too, so I would need those 44 PCIe lanes instead of 16 that Z390 could offer. What I'm waiting for now, are benchmarks of 9800X and 9900X. In my thinking, perhaps with fewer cores overcloking could be done closer to 5 Ghz (?). As for new Z399 boards: I'm quite surprised Asus haven't announced a Rampage VII yet. I mean, for the new Skylake-X refresh it would be more elegant, than simply telling customers to update their BIOS on existing X299 boards if they want to use the new Intel parts...

Abaidor wrote:

From what I understand the refresh gets a soldered IHS so no more delidding as its not necessary. The higher core counts have never been fantastic at OCs. Even the 7980s that were binned by silicon lottery didnt hit any crazy clocks. If you dont need the crazy core count better off with a 9900X that will should see near 100% hitting 5GHz.

Im just thrilled to see soldered IHS again.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
From what I understand the refresh gets a soldered IHS so no more delidding as its not necessary. The higher core counts have never been fantastic at OCs. Even the 7980s that were binned by silicon lottery didnt hit any crazy clocks. If you dont need the crazy core count better off with a 9900X that will should see near 100% hitting 5GHz.

Im just thrilled to see soldered IHS again.

The thing is that it is not the same solder it used to be and it is worse thermally than Deliding & Liquid Metal. In my case I am going direct die cooling so that is even better and deliding the new SKUs will be riskier.

Even the 9900K has thermal issues if you try to push it to the max all cores. How far each one is willing to and whether it is worth it, is another story.

See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3PJ7prehVQ

restsugavan
Level 13
PsiEmitter wrote:
There are rumours stating, that Asus will soon announce a new Rampage VII motherboard for Intel's Skylake-X refresh 2066 processors based on the new Z399 chipset. Does anybody have detailed information about this? Is it worth waiting another 1-2 months before building a new rig to find out?

Personally I think Z399 platform may release after Cascade lake X CPU annouce. Q3 2019 may the time.
According from Intel Roadmap here.

Our Skylake X has longlife performance across the times 2017-2020.

Intel Chipset Line Up X299 still main HEDT platform

Z399 featuring Native USB 3.1 Gen2 (10Gbps) / Built in Wi-Fi AC class ( same as Z390 feature over Z270 ).
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
Personally I think Z399 platform may release after Cascade lake X CPU annouce. Q3 2019 may the time.
According from Intel Roadmap here.

Z399 featuring Native USB 3.1 Gen2 (10Gbps) / Built in Wi-Fi AC class ( same as Z390 feature over Z270 ).

I don't know what to think about these roadmaps. The reason for the existence of Z399 in first place was to support Skylake-X refresh. So waiting untill 2019 with this, while Skylake-X refresh CPUs have just launched doesn't seem to be a rational move at all... But, if it's still true, then I believe we won't see a new Rampage motherboard from Asus anytime soon...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I haven't had the honor yet, so can't comment on absolutes, but 42 Celcius water temps are high. If wanting to overclock the 18 core part I would at least use a custom loop with a 360mm, or ideally more.

Bottom line, I wouldn't base your purchasing decision on those results alone.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090