Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS and open source

aster94
Level 8

dear asus,
dear developers,

the world is going forwards to open source.
Why don't you make a little step and give some help to developers who are reverse engennering the AURA or make some of your useful tools like the "battery health charging" app or the "ROG gaming center" work on linux?

Even microsoft understood the possibility of this opening :cool:
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
I completely support this post, lol.

Proprietary (ASUS) code is rather paranoid when it can only be used to control physical (ASUS) hardware, opensource encourages open dev and innovation which can only sell more of that (ASUS) hardware, it'd be useless for anything on any other (competing) hardware, and it's just a bunch of little stuff like rainbow LEDs and battery status ... lol sharing it isn't gonna give away any precious trade secrets the other (competing) manufacturers haven't already (reverse) engineered themselves.

Be the first mobo OEM to break the barrier and embrace a friendly rapport with the enthusiasts, show them more loyalty and support and you'll gain more of the same in return, or let somebody else seize the initiative and you'll lose the opportunity.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I completely support this post, lol.

Proprietary (ASUS) code is rather paranoid when it can only be used to control physical (ASUS) hardware, opensource encourages open dev and innovation which can only sell more of that (ASUS) hardware, it'd be useless for anything on any other (competing) hardware, and it's just a bunch of little stuff like rainbow LEDs and battery status ... lol sharing it isn't gonna give away any precious trade secrets the other (competing) manufacturers haven't already (reverse) engineered themselves.

Be the first mobo OEM to break the barrier and embrace a friendly rapport with the enthusiasts, show them more loyalty and support and you'll gain more of the same in return, or let somebody else seize the initiative and you'll lose the opportunity.

I am happy to know that i am not the only one here who would love to see this "friendly rapport with the enthusiasts" from manufacters like ASUS!
I don't know if the forum is populated also by ASUS developers or people inside the organization but i hope someone will read this :rolleyes:

Agree The Opensource method just make the product more strong look at other open source products they are becoming Stronger and famous because of the big communities contributions.

Korth
Level 14
The ASUS Tinkerboard was sort of a fine example of Doing It Wrong.
Closed source, codelocked, no documentation, no support, no dialogue, no nothing ... on a product squarely aimed at the DIY tinkers, builders, hackers, modders.

The only reason it's tragedy instead of comedy is that ASUS apparently still hasn't figured out the lesson here. A complex partnership with enthusiast customers, not a simple transaction with enthusiast wallets. It's what an always-growing number enthusiasts want and if ASUS doesn't sell it then they'll buy it from someone else, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

i just discovered this https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/5yf6jp/limiting_battery_charge_in_linux/
lenovo in its thinkpad laptops give the possibility to linux users to change the threshold battery charge

ASUS what are you waiting for?

Asus, why don't you speak to some of your devs and ask how many of them use PowerShell?

Official Windows PowerShell is still sitting at version 5, but since they've completely opened the source, PowerShell Open Source is up to 7.2.1 and has become multi-platform. Microsoft gets FREE access to all the innovation that developers from all around the world have collaborated on. Microsoft is still shipping Windows PowerShell with Win11 and they get to pick and choose which new available features they'd like to "borrow" from the Open Source PowerShell at no cost to them.

At this point, continuing to stick with closed source is a short-sighted decision.