cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS spontaneous shutdown/sleep mode during heavy load

Kjellebelle89
Level 7
Hi! Been stalking around here for a while reading quite alot about g752s that randomly turns off mid-game but without any defintive solutions. My issue seem to be similar.

I've been trying to monitor and log what ever data I can when this occurs but I'm still unsure about what is happening.

Intro: The laptop is about 1 year old and has the GTX1070 and I7 6700HQ. I'm running a seperate MSI MAG27CQ monitor at 144hz and 2560x1440 res normally with the laptop's lid CLOSED (all settings for closed screen have been disabled so as to not enter sleep mode while closing the screen etc). I havent played much heavy games in a long while but a decided to play some BF V with some friends. Before launch, I download BF 1 to check my computer's performance etc. I could play about 10-15 minutes before it randomly shut down. It's worth noting that I've had spontaneous shutdowns earlier while not gaming (leaving the computer on and finding it siwtched off a few hours later).

Having 24 month warranty I sent in the computer for trouble shooting and got it back with the following response:

"Error code: LAN Function error (N0FP1) - Replace with new components
The unit has been repaired. The following components have been changed: 90NB0D70-R00020 Mainboard"

In other words, they replaced the motherboard.

As I got home I started running BF V and it worked quite nice for a few hours before BOOM! Now, however the laptop doesnt turn off, it just goes into sleep mode. So at least something has changed...

Downloaded HWmonitor and MSI afterburner to try and see what actually happens when it "crashes" but I cant draw any more cunclusions from the data. During the entire time the GPU temp is very steady at 84-85 degrees and the CPU temp is jumping around 88-92 (max logged value was 97 degrees but this was not during the crash it self but alot earlier).

Checking the Event viewer in windows I can see that the cause of sleep mode was initiated by: "APIhttps://rog.asus.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.png application".

How can I continue searching for which API application is causing this? As the issue is alot less frequent now it takes hours to test different setups I'm afraid the support technicians wont recognize the problem anymore since it sais on my warranty reciept that the unit was completely tested during their repairs.

As I've no clue what I am doing my next test is to see if it "crashes" with the laptop screen open, but turned off:D

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Darnassus
Status Under Review
... have you tried gaming with the lid OPEN the entire time? :f

If it distracts you, just put a black T shirt over it, and test it. (Of course, do not let it cover the vents.. ;x )

If it's because the lid's closed.. you'll probably just need to create a new power profile, and change the advanced settings to EXACTLY what you want..

Try T-Shirt trick, then report back.

Otherwise, blame Windows 10 v1809.

Darnassus wrote:
... have you tried gaming with the lid OPEN the entire time? :f

If it distracts you, just put a black T shirt over it, and test it. (Of course, do not let it cover the vents.. ;x )

If it's because the lid's closed.. you'll probably just need to create a new power profile, and change the advanced settings to EXACTLY what you want..

Try T-Shirt trick, then report back.

Otherwise, blame Windows 10 v1809.

Haha. I’ve been testing a few hours with the lid open successfully now.

The reason I’d like to keep it closed is that I’ve got it placed under the table on a small sideboard. I can only open it enough to reach the start button. I guess I’ll have to keep it on the desk instead although I was hoping not too. Takes up so much space藍 *

Also, I can tell it to only show picture on the second screen so I don’t need any t-shirt*

On Ultra settings in BF V it runs pretty stable 60fps at least:)

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Yeah, some people don't know how to toggle monitor casting so I say use a T-Shirt to remove more explanation on my side. wew ;d

So yes, it's your lid being closed.. can you also during the test, run OPENHARDWAREMONITOR and record your temperatures. It should not be, but if your lid is closed, it may be trapping heat some reason..

Your table has adequate ventilation, yes?

For your power plan, go here:

Yeah definatley. That’s what I’ve been doing but the temperatures are the same with or without the screen closed (there’s no vents or anything on the topside so closing the lid shouldn’t matter anyway.*

All those settings were applied after I got the issue the first time. According to Windows, it should never go into sleep mode. Still does randomly though if the lid is closed.*

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Issue persist?

Again, what Win10 are you running.. version please ;x