CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA Supervoa 750W G2
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech G502 Spectrum
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus

System takes 3 times to start up from a cold boot. XI Hero

Myself and another guy on reddit are both experiencing the same thing. When starting from a cold boot the motherboard basically cycles on and off 3 times before proceeding with the full boot.

We're both using G.Skill Trident ram.

Someone suggested turning off the memtest switch on the motherboard. My reddit buddy tried that and said it didn't work. I haven't tried that yet myself.

Any ideas?
    Phrawst

Beat me to it

So yeah I am having the same issue, all the relevant information can be found here but I'll paste everything that's important into here once more as well.

I am using the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB G.Skill (Ripjaw not Trident) which is on the qvl list of the Maximus XI Hero (and the hero is on the qvl list of the memory).

Everything was fine and I had no issues whatsoever, but I am now noticing that the Motherboard takes exactly 3 tries to boot every single time. The mainboard lights will stay on, but It will spin up for a second, turn off, spin up again, turn off and then the third time everything is fine. There are no errors, no heat issues or anything else I can see once it actually turns on.

This does not happen when I just restart or turn the PC off and then turn on again, leaving the PC plugged into power. However when I go to sleep I pull the power from the PC entirely and when I do that, the problem occurs.

I have already tried different XMP settings and I have tried switching the memOK switch to off without success.

I have not tried a different PSU, or switching the memory around, I will do that as soon as I get to it.

I have also updated to the latest BIOS, but that was before I noticed these issues so I can't say for sure that the issue was there before the update.

ROG Enthusiast Array Phrawst PC Specs
    Phrawst PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    Processori7-9700k
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident RGB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Monitor3 x Dell 27" 1440p
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Castle RGB 280
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA Supervoa 750W G2
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech G502 Spectrum
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus

Quote Originally Posted by DekenFrost View Post
    Beat me to it

So yeah I am having the same issue, all the relevant information can be found here but I'll paste everything that's important into here once more as well.

I am using the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB G.Skill (Ripjaw not Trident) which is on the qvl list of the Maximus XI Hero (and the hero is on the qvl list of the memory).

Everything was fine and I had no issues whatsoever, but I am now noticing that the Motherboard takes exactly 3 tries to boot every single time. The mainboard lights will stay on, but It will spin up for a second, turn off, spin up again, turn off and then the third time everything is fine. There are no errors, no heat issues or anything else I can see once it actually turns on.

This does not happen when I just restart or turn the PC off and then turn on again, leaving the PC plugged into power. However when I go to sleep I pull the power from the PC entirely and when I do that, the problem occurs.

I have already tried different XMP settings and I have tried switching the memOK switch to off without success.

I have not tried a different PSU, or switching the memory around, I will do that as soon as I get to it.

I have also updated to the latest BIOS, but that was before I noticed these issues so I can't say for sure that the issue was there before the update.

Sounds like we're in the same boat, and now that you mention it I do remember this only does happen after totally killing power to the machine. Not just normal shut downs/restarts.

Same with me though regarding stability and stuff, it's totally fine. So maybe when power has been totally pulled its just running some kind of test then? I dunno seems fine to me thought it was just worth asking about.

And you're clearly my reddit buddy.
    Phrawst

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

This may not be an huge issue and more of just an anooyance. I remember the old X79 motherboards always needed a double pump boot up after being fully powered down. It had to do with memory training. My Hero XI starts up twice on fully powered down cold boot...not 3. But my guess is the board is searching for training parameters. It doesn't both me too much however as i leave my system plugged most of the time.

I am running Gskill Trident 4000 17Q off the QVL as well.

ROG Member Array

I have a Gskill 2 x 8 GB 4400mhz cl18 Kit but sadly running only with 4000mhz cl17 1.35v because the Board dont Support more with only 2 Dimms :-( . And i notice this Tripple Boot too .. sometimes 1 Boot sometimes Double Boot and Sometimes Tripple. Sometimes the Bios Change my Ramm Settings and going down to 3900 1.4v and sometimes its a normal Boot. With the 0506 Bios i can Boot with 4200 Mhz but it was unstable in Games and Benches now with the 0602 Bios i cant Boot with 4200mhz. Its a mess.

With Memok off my Board goes on but the Monitor goes black .. Memok Button on i have sometimes the Trouble i described. But Sometimes my System Boots normal. On Windows Restart its often Only 1 or 2 Extra Restart and on Cold Restart its often Trippel Boot or a Normal Boot.

I Hope that a new Bios Update helps us.
    Last edited by Stagefire; 11-14-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    This may not be an huge issue and more of just an anooyance. I remember the old X79 motherboards always needed a double pump boot up after being fully powered down. It had to do with memory training. My Hero XI starts up twice on fully powered down cold boot...not 3. B
    Between some of the testing with different settings it did actually only start up twice for a while, but it's now back to 3 for me.

If it really is just a kink I can probably live with it, I just need to make sure there isn't some voltage issue causing harm or anything.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Hi,

This can be due to the UEFI config including memory configuration. Some controllers require power cycles, as well as DRAM training. In short, this is normal behavior.

Super Moderator Array

If it's mem oc related under dram timings right at bottom set mrc fast boot to enabled

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

I assume that skips the memory training, and uses last used values from previous boot, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Shamino View Post
    If it's mem oc related under dram timings right at bottom set mrc fast boot to enabled

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

This is like a power cycle reset or a clear CMOS reset.
    Have you tried optimized defaults? All dips etc in default positions?
    Shouldnt need fast boot. I leave mine disabled in BIOS and disable fast start up in the OS.
    Is this a new build or new development from a previously operable system?

Could be setting that isnt setting well and causing it to clear and reset. What do you end up with after its done?
    Could be ground issue or +5V standby not standing by. Possible miswire to other onboard device?
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 11-15-2018 at 02:46 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast