cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System takes 3 times to start up from a cold boot. XI Hero

Phrawst
Level 8
Myself and another guy on reddit are both experiencing the same thing. When starting from a cold boot the motherboard basically cycles on and off 3 times before proceeding with the full boot.

We're both using G.Skill Trident ram.

Someone suggested turning off the memtest switch on the motherboard. My reddit buddy tried that and said it didn't work. I haven't tried that yet myself.

Any ideas?
Phrawst
65 REPLIES 65

DekenFrost
Level 7
Beat me to it 🙂

So yeah I am having the same issue, all the relevant information can be found here but I'll paste everything that's important into here once more as well.

I am using the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB G.Skill (Ripjaw not Trident) which is on the qvl list of the Maximus XI Hero (and the hero is on the qvl list of the memory).

Everything was fine and I had no issues whatsoever, but I am now noticing that the Motherboard takes exactly 3 tries to boot every single time. The mainboard lights will stay on, but It will spin up for a second, turn off, spin up again, turn off and then the third time everything is fine. There are no errors, no heat issues or anything else I can see once it actually turns on.

This does not happen when I just restart or turn the PC off and then turn on again, leaving the PC plugged into power. However when I go to sleep I pull the power from the PC entirely and when I do that, the problem occurs.

I have already tried different XMP settings and I have tried switching the memOK switch to off without success.

I have not tried a different PSU, or switching the memory around, I will do that as soon as I get to it.

I have also updated to the latest BIOS, but that was before I noticed these issues so I can't say for sure that the issue was there before the update.

DekenFrost wrote:
Beat me to it 🙂

So yeah I am having the same issue, all the relevant information can be found here but I'll paste everything that's important into here once more as well.

I am using the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB G.Skill (Ripjaw not Trident) which is on the qvl list of the Maximus XI Hero (and the hero is on the qvl list of the memory).

Everything was fine and I had no issues whatsoever, but I am now noticing that the Motherboard takes exactly 3 tries to boot every single time. The mainboard lights will stay on, but It will spin up for a second, turn off, spin up again, turn off and then the third time everything is fine. There are no errors, no heat issues or anything else I can see once it actually turns on.

This does not happen when I just restart or turn the PC off and then turn on again, leaving the PC plugged into power. However when I go to sleep I pull the power from the PC entirely and when I do that, the problem occurs.

I have already tried different XMP settings and I have tried switching the memOK switch to off without success.

I have not tried a different PSU, or switching the memory around, I will do that as soon as I get to it.

I have also updated to the latest BIOS, but that was before I noticed these issues so I can't say for sure that the issue was there before the update.

Sounds like we're in the same boat, and now that you mention it I do remember this only does happen after totally killing power to the machine. Not just normal shut downs/restarts.

Same with me though regarding stability and stuff, it's totally fine. So maybe when power has been totally pulled its just running some kind of test then? I dunno seems fine to me thought it was just worth asking about.

And you're clearly my reddit buddy. 😄
Phrawst

This may not be an huge issue and more of just an anooyance. I remember the old X79 motherboards always needed a double pump boot up after being fully powered down. It had to do with memory training. My Hero XI starts up twice on fully powered down cold boot...not 3. But my guess is the board is searching for training parameters. It doesn't both me too much however as i leave my system plugged most of the time.

I am running Gskill Trident 4000 17Q off the QVL as well.

I have a Gskill 2 x 8 GB 4400mhz cl18 Kit but sadly running only with 4000mhz cl17 1.35v because the Board dont Support more with only 2 Dimms 😞 . And i notice this Tripple Boot too .. sometimes 1 Boot sometimes Double Boot and Sometimes Tripple. Sometimes the Bios Change my Ramm Settings and going down to 3900 1.4v and sometimes its a normal Boot. With the 0506 Bios i can Boot with 4200 Mhz but it was unstable in Games and Benches now with the 0602 Bios i cant Boot with 4200mhz. Its a mess.

With Memok off my Board goes on but the Monitor goes black .. Memok Button on i have sometimes the Trouble i described. But Sometimes my System Boots normal. On Windows Restart its often Only 1 or 2 Extra Restart and on Cold Restart its often Trippel Boot or a Normal Boot.

I Hope that a new Bios Update helps us.

mdzcpa wrote:
This may not be an huge issue and more of just an anooyance. I remember the old X79 motherboards always needed a double pump boot up after being fully powered down. It had to do with memory training. My Hero XI starts up twice on fully powered down cold boot...not 3. B

Between some of the testing with different settings it did actually only start up twice for a while, but it's now back to 3 for me.

If it really is just a kink I can probably live with it, I just need to make sure there isn't some voltage issue causing harm or anything.

Phrawst wrote:
Sounds like we're in the same boat, and now that you mention it I do remember this only does happen after totally killing power to the machine. Not just normal shut downs/restarts.

Same with me though regarding stability and stuff, it's totally fine. So maybe when power has been totally pulled its just running some kind of test then? I dunno seems fine to me thought it was just worth asking about.

And you're clearly my reddit buddy. 😄

I have the same problem I try to Chang settings in my windows and Uefi *but I have no hop if we find a fix plees let me now.

Keatonator wrote:
I have the same problem I try to Chang settings in my windows and Uefi *but I have no hop if we find a fix plees let me now.

If the system if fully powered off at the PSU, the motherboard will start 2 or 3 times depending on your memory/overclock. This does this for everyone that has the board. If your system is doing this, your symptom is not unique. Perhaps Asus adjusts a UEFI setting down the road to eliminate it, perhaps not. This is nothing new....some X58 and X79 boards did the same back in the day. Since most users do not fully power their system completely, I assume most folks aren't seeing the issue much. It may annoy a few folks, but the behavior is harmless.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

This can be due to the UEFI config including memory configuration. Some controllers require power cycles, as well as DRAM training. In short, this is normal behavior.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Shamino
If it's mem oc related under dram timings right at bottom set mrc fast boot to enabled