cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG PG279Q: top, left-hand corner backlight pulsing every second.

etacarinae
Level 9
Has anyone else's PG279Q suffered from this issue and if so how did you resolve it?
1440p 144Hz DisplayPort monitor signal being received from an EVGA Titan X SC.
I've switched DisplayPort cables — still persists.
I've turned off G-sync — still persists.
Dropping native monitor refresh rate down — still persists.

However, switching to HDMI @ 1440p 60Hz (maximum refresh rate) does resolve it entirely.
I have two of these and the other one is not reproducing the issue.
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Kind of ironic that your monitor is a pulsar given your name etacarinae!

But not very amusing to you no doubt.

I've never had that here. Is the monitor still under warranty?

If the HDMI cable solved it for all resolutions and refresh rates I'd wonder if something else was at fault but since you have two monitors and it sounds like HDMI only solves for some refresh rates, it sounds like the monitor has a fault...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Kind of ironic that your monitor is a pulsar given your name etacarinae!

My favourite stellar system encapsulated in my favourite nebula capable of my favourite type of novae — the hypernova.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
But not very amusing to you no doubt.

I've never had that here. Is the monitor still under warranty?

Haha, nah it's a good catch on your behalf!

I bought both in 2016 and there's a 36-month warranty so I believe so. I had already intended on sending both back to ASUS as they require the firmware update to resolve the vertical lines on the left and right side of the monitor that requires a power off/on to fix.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

If the HDMI cable solved it for all resolutions and refresh rates I'd wonder if something else was at fault but since you have two monitors and it sounds like HDMI only solves for some refresh rates, it sounds like the monitor has a fault...

Yep, I've ended up narrowing it down to 144Hz being the culprit. No pulsing at 120Hz or below with g-sync either on or off.
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

etacarinae wrote:
already intended on sending both back to ASUS as they require the firmware update

I had that in mind actually but thought...nooo, will have had that done by now. Probably best to bite the bullet and get that done...but insist they test the flashing monitor...sinse that might be unrelated....in facct probably unrelated if the other monitor isn't doing it...maybe update one and RMA the flasher