cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont my ASUS ROG laptop shut down ?

mc858
Level 8
I mean, i click on shutdown and the screen and lights go off. But my LED mouse is still lighting up whenever it moves, and when i press the power button the screen turns back on and all my previous windows are still open. Its almost like it just goes to sleep and it never fully shuts down

anyone know how i can fully shut this damn thing down? its pretty annoying

thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes you need to turn off fast startup in your Power options Advanced. Also check what your power button is set to do, it should be set to Shut down your computer.
If that fails then you'll need to repair your windows
Open a CMD Prompt in Admin mode and run these tools one at a time, Just cut and paste
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow This one you will want to run 3 times in a row, no matter what the results are.
chkdsk C: /f
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
getting rid of fast start up will get rid of the saved windows, you see it as a fault, others see a feature.
As for the USB mouse still lit up some of the USB ports stay active for charging phones etc. Either try a different port or try a different solution. If you still have issues with that then adding a powered USB hub will remedy that.

This is just generic advice, can give more specific if you post what machine you are running along with OS etc.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
getting rid of fast start up will get rid of the saved windows, you see it as a fault, others see a feature.
As for the USB mouse still lit up some of the USB ports stay active for charging phones etc. Either try a different port or try a different solution. If you still have issues with that then adding a powered USB hub will remedy that.

This is just generic advice, can give more specific if you post what machine you are running along with OS etc.

I agree with Justin however with Asus notebook especially, fast startup can get you into a boot loop that prevents you from booting into windows, Or Recovery software happens on desktops too. We see it here all the time as it prevents you from getting to a complete shutdown when things go South.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Clint it can also cause you to chase your tail as you shut down trying a nice clean boot and what you are really getting is a reload of what you just left....No Thanks!! I like a nice fresh load of everything!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Clint it can also cause you to chase your tail as you shut down trying a nice clean boot and what you are really getting is a reload of what you just left....No Thanks!! I like a nice fresh load of everything!

like your way of explaining it. either way, I always recommend turning it off, we don't need it with SSD anyway
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

mc858
Level 8
sorry guys i was away on a trip. ill try all that. but damn its annoying, i never messed with any settings prior to this. maybe a windows update messed everything up