cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Code - TPM module support?

xherics
Level 7
Hello,

please, does the Maximus X Code support any of the two available ASUS TPM modules?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/TPM-M-R2-0/
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/TPM-L-R2-0/

I did not find it in the manual, but the web site where I purchased the MB sais, that it supports.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Stefan
7 REPLIES 7

btrach144
Level 7
I had this same question a few months back. ASUS supports Intel PTT (Platform Trusted Technology).

It’s similar to TPM but it’s baked into the mobo. It works with Bitlocker etc.

Code does not have a TPM header so you’ll need to use PTT*

btrach144 wrote:
I had this same question a few months back. ASUS supports Intel PTT (Platform Trusted Technology).

It’s similar to TPM but it’s baked into the mobo. It works with Bitlocker etc.

Code does not have a TPM header so you’ll need to use PTT*

It is an implementation of TPM - not just similar.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Korth
Level 14
Embedded TPM. More secure, in theory. Also more hassle if you want to migrate your encrypted data to another platform.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

xherics
Level 7
Thank you for the answers. I tried to search in the forum, but did not find any previous topics.

So, i will read about PTT, did not hear about it before. On my previous work computer I had classic TPM module, but that mobo was from other vendor 🙂

I need to encrypt the disk with bitlocker and want to use a virtual smart card. Bitlocker was mentioned that it works with TPP. Do you know, virtual smart cards are also working with the TPP?

Maybe somebody of you have experience and know it, so I do not need to spend so many time with it.

Thank you.

Don;t know about virtual smart cards but bitlocker encryption will work.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Don;t know about virtual smart cards but bitlocker disk encryption will work.

Korth
Level 14
Windows BitLocker will work without hardware TPM. Technically less secure without the hardware token. But realistically, anybody with access to enough serious cryptobreaking resources to bust open BitLocker isn't going to be slowed down much by an extra authentication layer.

The real value of the TPM for most people would be that their encrypted data "can't" be decrypted on another platform, copied onto a pile of machines working in parallel to simultaneously brute force the cipher. The TPM hardware is a "black box" with active circuitry - a "key" to the crypto lock - which "can't" be duplicated and "can't" be moved to any other machine. If/when the hardware it's installed on ever breaks down then good luck migrating your encrypted data to another.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]