cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550jk Graphical Performance Slower after Format

jimykx
Level 7
I have a G550jk and after a while I wanted to make a clean startup and used the oportunity to replace my original HDD with an SSD.
The thing is, games actually ran much better before the cleanup and switch to SSD.
Naturally laptop is faster and games load faster, however graphical performance is slower on all games I used to play. I have a few examples, I used to be able to play

GTA V on medium with an average of 60+ fps, after formar I'm doing low low and I can't keep a consistent framerate (a lot of stuttering and low fps moments)
I used to be able to play Destiny 2 on low with 40+ fps, now it's absolutely unplayable, hardly goes above 25. Here is a video of the same exact laptop showing the performance level I had before format (and he is running on medium settings).
I played the Battlefield V beta and I had 40 average fps on 1600x900, now on the lowest resolution 1024x768 it hardly goes above 20fps.

This is a massive difference, I already installed the latest nvidia drivers, forced games to use "High-performance nvidia processor" and tried some recommended tweaks on the control panel. I also installed some of the official drivers of the laptop (the ones that made sense to me) and ran driver genius to update everything else.
Before the format the laptop came with Asus GPU tweak intalled and it had some pre configuration for Overclocking, I used to use that but It did nt make that much of a difference (it was a very light OC), and mostly I used it to force fans to run at maximum speed. I tried installing that version again provided in the laptop drivers but I can't write anything there (its without settings and locked) and fan speed doesn't work anymore.

I also have used CPU unparking tools.

What's happening? What am I missing? Thank you in advance for the attention and advice.
Much love.

Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX850M
8GB Ram
SSD w/ windows 10
5 REPLIES 5

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes after a clean install you will have to use the drivers found in your eSuppot folder if you didn't delete them? If you did there will be some programs you can't get back! the rest of the driver can be downloaded from Asus Support Downloads if that is up and running again Asus Support downloads server has been unavailable for a while now so good luck. Make sure you log in and top Right corner click the Account link that will bring you to your Asus Account where on the left column you will see a link to my products. Select your Registered notebook and then Download driver select your Windows version Install the drivers listed there. They are tested and approved to work in your particular notebook. That should get you back up and running until the next windows update. Seems Windows thinks we should use there native hardware drivers and they just don't work well for us, There are ways to prevent driver updates but that is another thread. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a....

The Nvidia driver will not be the latest version you should use that one until everything else is up and running with no issues. then after making a back up Image of your C: Partition or entire C Drive/ SSD, then you can try the latest Nvidia drivers. I suggest Macrium Reflect for back up images.

Instead of Clean Installing to your new SSD you should have Cloned the hard drive to the SSD or Restored a Backup Disk/SSD Image, Clean install these days is the last chance effort to be avoided if at all possible.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes after a clean install you will have to use the drivers found in your eSuppot folder if you didn't delete them? If you did there will be some programs you can't get back! the rest of the driver can be downloaded from Asus Support Downloads if that is up and running again Asus Support downloads server has been unavailable for a while now so good luck. Make sure you log in and top Right corner click the Account link that will bring you to your Asus Account where on the left column you will see a link to my products. Select your Registered notebook and then Download driver select your Windows version Install the drivers listed there. They are tested and approved to work in your particular notebook. That should get you back up and running until the next windows update. Seems Windows thinks we should use there native hardware drivers and they just don't work well for us, There are ways to prevent driver updates but that is another thread. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a....

The Nvidia driver will not be the latest version you should use that one until everything else is up and running with no issues. then after making a back up Image of your C: Partition or entire C Drive/ SSD, then you can try the latest Nvidia drivers. I suggest Macrium Reflect for back up images.

Instead of Clean Installing to your new SSD you should have Cloned the hard drive to the SSD or Restored a Backup Disk/SSD Image, Clean install these days is the last chance effort to be avoided if at all possible.

I appreciate the attention. I mentioned previously I have indeed installed the laptops drivers (at least the ones currently provided/available by asus). I just didn't install drivers like "Asus Gaming Mouse Driver" since I don't use any asus gaming mice.
I have made an nvidia driver rollback by performing a clean GPU installation with DDU and then installed the recommended driver. The performance issue is still here, only with the addition that I can't play some games at all which detect the driver version is too old. This shouldnt have been the issue from the start considering a couple of days ago I had the latest nvidia driver and, as mentioned, did not have this issue.

I understand what you mean, but the purpose of a clean install was to clean a system after 3 years of intensive daily use and full of unecessary/unused programs files and trash that I could never achieve to clean manually. I wouldn't ever assume that, whatever magical thing seems to be missing, would cause such a big performance hit. I'm really starting to pull my hairs here, because I would expect this laptop to eventually age out, but not to just lose the ability to run the programs I use to run problem free.

Is there any sort of benchmarking software or scanner that I can use to monitor what elements of my laptop are not performing as they should?

Gps3dx
Level 12
jimykx wrote:
I have a G550jk and after a while I wanted to make a clean startup and used the oportunity to replace my original HDD with an SSD.
The thing is, games actually ran much better before the cleanup and switch to SSD.
Naturally laptop is faster and games load faster, however graphical performance is slower on all games I used to play. I have a few examples, I used to be able to play
SSD w/ windows 10

@jimykx - what release of win10 do you use ? RTM ... / 1709 / 1803 /1809 etc... ? ( run "winver" to see ).
anyway - I got few tips for win10 gamer in my windows installation sticky thread guide, AT THE LATEST posts ( #143, #144 ).

About GPU OC - you can get latest ver of asus OC app (GPUTweakII) FROM HERE.
Manually controlling the FANS - you can achieve with this app - you can customize the fan speed VS CPU temps - I recommend that you DO NOT force control the GPU fans. ( the default control of the app is only of the CPU, but in the options you can force control the GPU's fans as well ).

moreover, if you OC high - I REALLY SUGGEST you do an INSTAKE-MOD like this one - ONLY THEN, OC high.

please report back if any of it helps you - and what so others can learn from your experience.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

I believe I managed to fix the issue.
It seems it had to do with one of the two things:
I downloaded every single intel and realtek/audio related drivers even the ones that seemed irrelevant or redundant, and I installed all of them.
Second step was I then disabled Audio Enhancements in windows 10.

Bam, laptop seems to be back to the previous gaming performance.

jimykx wrote:
I believe I managed to fix the issue.
It seems it had to do with one of the two things:
I downloaded every single intel and realtek/audio related drivers even the ones that seemed irrelevant or redundant, and I installed all of them.
Second step was I then disabled Audio Enhancements in windows 10.

Bam, laptop seems to be back to the previous gaming performance.

Glad to hear you sorted it out. Clean Installs aren't what they used to be. I was about to bring up also that Window put out the 1809 upgrade again and if you loaded it you would have to check all your drivers again as it will try to change them to Windows Native again.
Thanks for posting your final solution these things can be quite tricky to find sometimes.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro