cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Cooler recommendation for Rampage V Extreme

mindsignals
Level 9
Probably air-cooled else closed-loop water-cooled...please recommend for each or both...something maintenance-free.

Two machines, one is Rampage V Extreme, the other is a competitor. The Rampage V Extreme is currently air cooled and with a 5960x, but cores are hitting 80 degrees on moderate overclock. I've tried 2 or 3 different compounds on the CPU.

The other one is running my old 5930k that was in the Rampage V Extreme previously.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

mindsignals
Level 9
I should add that my CPU exhaust fan slot is occupied by a 1080ti closed loop water-cooled fan. So not sure how that would factor in since that must remain.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am running the exact same ASUS system as my 24/7 machine.

I am using a solid copper TRUE air cooler. Temps are never that high even when under load - Realbench or XTU for example. My system may be a little overclocked...:cool::rolleyes:
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I am running the exact same ASUS system as my 24/7 machine.

I am using a solid copper TRUE air cooler. Temps are never that high even when under load - Realbench or XTU for example. My system may be a little overclocked...:cool::rolleyes:

Can you link which one you use specifically, please? I'm looking at either this or the Noctua. I have a Noctua in my other rig which does alright, but I'd like one that is better. Someone had given me a different branded one which was larger, but it fails to contact properly and has to be secured through the bottom of the motherboard, so I need to order a different one this weekend for sure to get that computer in operation.

mindsignals
Level 9
Oh, I should add that temps are hitting 80 while running it hard on all cores at 100% utilization 24/7. CPU mining (and GPU mining or gameplay).

Vlada011
Level 10
Noctua NH-U9 for overclocking up to 4.0GHz.
If you have luck with CPU sample than 4.1-4.2GHz 1.200V.

Difference between this cooler and 350$ worth loop is 300MHz higher clock for Haswell-E. 😉
But after you install him once only fun is cleaning every 2-3 month. In mean time nothing.
With watercooling is always some fun and always something could be changed, improved, etc...

mindsignals
Level 9
The noctua setup is what I have right now...running at 4.2 GHz but with those really high temps at full 24/7 utilization.

mindsignals
Level 9
I went with the NH-D15S. Thanks!

mindsignals wrote:
I went with the NH-D15S. Thanks!

I am also using the Noctua NH-15S on the R5E motherboard. The "S" designation means that the fins are mounted slightly off center of the copper heat sink to allow clearance for a video card as the 1st PCIE slot on this motherboard is too near the CPU socket for the standard Noctua NH-15.