cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero M.2(Sata)

Bukatao
Level 7
Hello,

I recently picked up an XI hero and I have a 1tb M.2 Sata drive that I wanted to install. I originally installed the drive on the M2_2 slot only to get an error regarding that slot not supporting it, I went on to install it onto the M2_1 slot, no error but windows doesn't seem to detect the drive nor does it pop up in the bios... I've set the M2_1 slot as Sata and used auto as well to no avail. Is this drive simply not compatible or am I missing something? Any help appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do not have the Hero board, I have the Extreme version - did you enable the M.2 slot in bios?

Are you planning on using that drive as your OS drive? If yes I would strongly suggest you remove all other drives or storage devices from your system before starting the OS instillation. Windows has this horrible habit of sticking needed partitions where it wants to and not where we would like them to go. So if you are using that new SSD for your OS give what I said some thought.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hello,

Yes the slots are enabled, I was planning on using the drive just strictly for storage as I already have my NVME drive as bootable. My NVME is now connected to M2_2 and it's fully functional so I know both sockets are working fine... just can't get that drive to show. I've tried various settings in the bios to no avail. I was trying to make use of my extra socket and save myself the need for cables but if I can't get it running I might just return it. Thank you for the suggestion

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries mate, do let me know if the replacement works out for you.

Good luck.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.