cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to regret the purchase - 2700X + C7H

Naojirou
Level 7
Just upgraded my Intel stuff with AMD, sticked to Asus with mobo but here I am:

I get now not so regular random shutdowns. Cant power back on without shutting the PSU off and on. Read that it is about Asus software conflicting with some other. Removed everything from Asus except AiCharger, Aura and RamCache and shut iCUE down on startup. Still however I have AsSysCtrlService and ASUS Motherboard Fan Control Service and Asus Update Check in processes.

Now barring aside why I can't use the software that I want (including asus' own) I still got a crash this morning. Went to bed with PC on, in the morning I saw it running and was like "Oh the BIOS update solved it apparently" and it took 5 seconds for it to shut back down.

Also I am running custom watercooled loop and have the EK monoblock. The temps are ok if not awesome (38 deg idle).

One weird thing that I noticed was when I opened the back of the case while it recently shut down, the backplate had some static running on it (The same thing when you touch the metal base of a laptop when it is plugged in). Don't know if it is normal.

Does anyone have the ultimate solution for this shutdown issue? This is not sustainable and I don't want to lose work after all this expenditure.

Thanks.

Edit: Specs

-2700X
-Asus C7H Wi-Fi (Latest BIOS)
-GTX 1080Ti
-GSkill TridentZ 4x8 3200
-Thermaltake DPS-G 1000W Titanium
-Samsung 960 Pro 2TB
-Sound Blaster AE-5
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate, first thing that screams out to me from your description is check the PSU.

You should not be getting any kind of shock from touching your motherboard, the case or any other component.

Moving on, did you do a fresh install of OS?

Did you buy new memory or are you using the old memory that you had before?

Basically I need as much information as possible to help you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello mate, first thing that screams out to me from your description is check the PSU.

You should not be getting any kind of shock from touching your motherboard, the case or any other component.

Moving on, did you do a fresh install of OS?

Did you buy new memory or are you using the old memory that you had before?

Basically I need as much information as possible to help you.

Hey, just came back to update the post with the rams (which I will also update).

The only parts I changed from the previous build is the motherboard, cpu and waterblock. Before I was running a Maximus IX Formula with 7700K. Never had shutdowns on that, ever.

Below are the entire relevant specs:

-2700X
-GTX 1080Ti
-Samsung 960 Pro 2TB
-Sound Blaster AE-5

One difference compared to the previous build, however is I plugged the molex into Sound Blaster and I placed some UV Cold Katode lights. PC base has no static feeling so if it comes from somewhere, it should be the 24 pin given no power is delivered to the other PSU pins.

It is not a fresh install, stood aside from doing it given I only have a single storage unit so cannot back-up my stuff.

Naojirou wrote:
Hey, just came back to update the post with the rams (which I will also update).

The only parts I changed from the previous build is the motherboard, cpu and waterblock. Before I was running a Maximus IX Formula with 7700K. Never had shutdowns on that, ever.

Below are the entire relevant specs:

-2700X
-GTX 1080Ti
-Samsung 960 Pro 2TB
-Sound Blaster AE-5

One difference compared to the previous build, however is I plugged the molex into Sound Blaster and I placed some UV Cold Katode lights. PC base has no static feeling so if it comes from somewhere, it should be the 24 pin given no power is delivered to the other PSU pins.

Also should note: The static is not in form of a shock. It is the vibration-y feeling.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate.

Memory sticks need a part number please. Wanting to work out if they are Hynix sticks or???

Some of the older Hynix memory are giving users uphill to get stable.

Re OS. You can do a fresh OS on the same hard drive mate. It will not wipe everything - but ideally when changing from one platform (Intel) to another (AMD) a fresh install is key. Heck I even advice a fresh OS install when changing chipset on the same CPU platform.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Cheers mate.

Memory sticks need a part number please. Wanting to work out if they are Hynix sticks or???

Some of the older Hynix memory are giving users uphill to get stable.

Re OS. You can do a fresh OS on the same hard drive mate. It will not wipe everything - but ideally when changing from one platform (Intel) to another (AMD) a fresh install is key. Heck I even advice a fresh OS install when changing chipset on the same CPU platform.

I guess this is what you need: F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR

Will probably have to opt for fresh install. So you say the option of windows for "Remove all programs but keep the documents" is sufficient or?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah mate, that keeps all your data.

The installation of the new OS does not wipe the disk. It also creates a folder of the old OS. So you can access stuff there too. Like the 1000's of pdfs on desktop for example. LOL I have way to many white papers on my desktop.

But for my own peace of mind I quickly copy and past my downloads, documents and desktop files to an separate folder on my hard drive or to one drive or similar cloud storage. Size dependant of course. But never had an issue in about 6 OS reinstall.

gupsterg
Level 13
@Naojirou

My opinion your OS with all the "added" extras is cause of issues.

Aura can access Super IO chip, so if you've got that running in the background and you might open something else, which may use the IO chip and boom you could have issues.

I would most definitely do a fresh OS, grab macrium reflect , image your OS to another drive after fresh install. Then if you need to revert you can revert to an image with ease.

I would also recommend creating images at stages, ie after you install x app. So you can go back to OS without x app, as sometime the uninstall of x app does not remove it completely.

When you mean latest UEFI is that 1002?

As the RAM kit you highlight is Hynix AFR and your using 4 dimms, did you per chance set up board to use D.O.C.P (ie XMP profile of RAM)? if you did that potentially could also lead to a world of pain for you IMO.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
@Naojirou

My opinion your OS with all the "added" extras is cause of issues.

Aura can access Super IO chip, so if you've got that running in the background and you might open something else, which may use the IO chip and boom you could have issues.

I would most definitely do a fresh OS, grab macrium reflect , image your OS to another drive after fresh install. Then if you need to revert you can revert to an image with ease.

I would also recommend creating images at stages, ie after you install x app. So you can go back to OS without x app, as sometime the uninstall of x app does not remove it completely.

When you mean latest UEFI is that 1002?

As the RAM kit you highlight is Hynix AFR and your using 4 dimms, did you per chance set up board to use D.O.C.P (ie XMP profile of RAM)? if you did that potentially could also lead to a world of pain for you IMO.

Yeah I am on 1002 and currently reinstalling windows. Will just reinstall everything and the data i have is pretty much more important.

About ram, I tried clocking but all ram clock attempts failed (incl docp) so running default preset. Since I couldnt even get the system running stable on default, ditched all oc attempts.

The thing with the ram, does that mean ill have difficulty overall with oc'ing? Should I consider a switch? And if so, what should i keep an eye on?

Naojirou wrote:
Yeah I am on 1002 and currently reinstalling windows. Will just reinstall everything and the data i have is pretty much more important.

About ram, I tried clocking but all ram clock attempts failed (incl docp) so running default preset. Since I couldnt even get the system running stable on default, ditched all oc attempts.

The thing with the ram, does that mean ill have difficulty overall with oc'ing? Should I consider a switch? And if so, what should i keep an eye on?

Having built literally thousands of PC's over the years, since 1986, one thing I have noticed is that AMD chipsets and such seems to be very finicky with the RAM. Make double sure your RAM is AMD Certified and on the ASUS QVL!