cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC only boots to BIOS first, have to manually boot Windows.

Taschbash
Level 7
Hello everybody!

I just finished building my new rig yesterday and started setting it up last night. I have successfully installed Windows and computer acts completely normal and runs excellent. The only issue I'm having is every time I turn on or restart, I'm automatically sent to BIOS instead of Windows. My boot order is correct, yet this keeps occurring. I am using an m.2 nvme drive as my boot drive. I will list PC components below:

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU: i7 9700K
GPU: RTX 2080Ti FE
Memory: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz
Storage: Samsung 970EVO M.2 250gb(boot) and 1tb(storage)

I'm really hoping this has happened to someone else and knows the exact problem!

Thanks!
-Erick
7 REPLIES 7

JustinThyme
Level 13
Turn off Windows fast start up in power options and what power buttons do.
Setting>power and sleep>additional power settings (on right)>choose what power buttons do>change setting that are currently unavvailable> untick the fast start up. I have all of them unchecked except lock.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Turn off Windows fast start up in power options and what power buttons do.
Setting>power and sleep>additional power settings (on right)>choose what power buttons do>change setting that are currently unavvailable> untick the fast start up. I have all of them unchecked except lock.

This didn't change anything 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I enquire if you had both drives fitted when you did your OS install?

I have found, and said many times, that Windows likes to do its own thing with regard to where it places needed partitions.

Since your system is very new it may be quickest to simple remove the data storage drive from the board, and re install WIndows with only the M.2 Drive fitted. Oh which slot did you use by the way for the m.2 drive?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
May I enquire if you had both drives fitted when you did your OS install?

I have found, and said many times, that Windows likes to do its own thing with regard to where it places needed partitions.

Since your system is very new it may be quickest to simple remove the data storage drive from the board, and re install WIndows with only the M.2 Drive fitted. Oh which slot did you use by the way for the m.2 drive?

I only had the smaller drive installed when I was installing Windows.

I am using the m.2_1 slot for boot drive.

Okay I figured it out. I switched to some new fans for the case and moved the connector for the VRM fan to the CPU_Fan header and VOILA! boots right to Windows! I should have known the CPU FAN ERROR! was the issue.

Mods, kindly close this!

Thanks

Taschbash wrote:
Okay I figured it out. I switched to some new fans for the case and moved the connector for the VRM fan to the CPU_Fan header and VOILA! boots right to Windows! I should have known the CPU FAN ERROR! was the issue.

Mods, kindly close this!

Thanks

Im actually surprised you were able to boot to windows at all. Mine wont allow it even with the CPU fan feedback disabled, needs something there and I always got stalled at the F1 prompt telling me there was no fan detected before getting to BIOS.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL no worries mate at least you did us the courtesy of popping back to the forum and letting us know it was sorted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.